“Good for the location but you can do better”

Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City
Ranked #133 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Hamburg, Germany
“Good for the location but you can do better”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Was here on a 5 day business trip. Picked this place due to location and attending an event at Jacob Javits. The room was quite good and clean. I found the amenities all to be in line with what I was expecting. Size of the room was also quite good and we were high up enough to not have much noise. You could still hear the streets in the background but it wasn't ever present. I believe it was the 20th floor. Like others have commented, the entry/reception area is often quite crowded and the check-in desk usually full. The staff don't really go out of their way although we always did find them pleasant. The elevators are slow too and you end up waiting quite a bit at high traffic times. The breakfast buffet is OK but nothing out of the ordinary. We often found it hard to find seating and ended up outside as most people didn't realize you could go sit there. Thankfully it was still warm enough outside and we enjoyed this as an option. I also found the gym to be OK and you can get a workout in. I was there usually at 5am so it was empty but around 7am it was often also full. In summary, this is a good place and if you need to be in the area and for a good rate, worth trying out. Don't come expecting 5-star service though and beware that when they are busy, things get a bit annoying.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Joizee_HD
Kristen L, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Hello,

We appreciate you choosing the Staybridge Suites for your business trip in the city. We are committed to making our corporate guests extra comfortable and truly apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay.

We take pride in our customer service and as well as take it very seriously, so I would like to offer you a chance to come try us again and allow us to prove to you that we are always here for our guests and make sure they are 100% satisfied!

Please contact me at your earliest convenience, so we can speak further on the matter.

Warm Regards,
Kristen Levy
Director of Front Office
kl@nyhotelmgmt.com
212-810-4326

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,226)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed at these suites for 12 nights as I've just moved to NY & I get 2 weeks temporary accommodation from my company. I picked the suites as I wanted a kitchen to cook rather than being in a hotel & having to eat every meal out.

The lobby of this place is very small & easily over-crowded. When I arrived with 2 large suitcases plus cabin baggage, the doorman didn't offer to take my bags which was surprising but then he was too busy having a gossip with other staff.

My room was on a lower floor so had very little natural light, I always needed to have the bedroom lights on. Whilst there is a kitchen there is no extractor fan so my 1sts day attempt at cooking a proper meal meant my room stunk all night so I quickly ended up either microwaving or eating out - which defeated the purpose of getting a suite over a hotel room.

The lifts are very very busy & I often used the stairs as I was on a lower floor. On day of checking out I waited 15mins for a lift. On checkout I wanted to get a cab to midtown rather than the airport. This meant the doormen couldn't care less about me. I was having to try to hail my own cab whilst any guests going to the airport the doormen were getting them cabs or private cars. At one point I flagged down a cab & the doorman stepped across me & gave it to a couple going to JFK!! As its on a side street not many cabs come past. I looked astounded at the doorman, he saw my face then commented, "seeing as your only going to midtown you should get the subway". I had 2 large cases which he could clearly see. I ended up taking my bags & walking to the corner of 8th ave & got a cab in under 1min.

I normally am very appraising if hotels i stay at & I know it's 3 star so I'm not expecting super service but the staff at this place need to improve. Housekeeping on the other hand were very friendly & did a good job but seeing as the doormen are the first & last staff you see, their attitude & service is key.

• Stayed September 2012
Hello Scot,

We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. Please know that we do not condone this type of behavior from any of our associates and especially from our bellmen. If you've read from previous reviews, we take our customer service very seriously and this is not the kind of experience we would want any of our guests to go through.

It would be more than appreciated if you could contact me at your earliest convenience to elaborate in regards to what happened. This would allow me to take proper precautions to pinpoint the staff member in question and prevent this situation from happening in the future.

Our goal is to have our guests 100% satisfied and I would like you to know how appreciative we are for you bringing this serious problem to our attention and for any problems you experienced, I would like to offer you a return stay on us, allowing my staff to show you the real customer service way at Staybridge!

I look forward to speaking with you and resolving these issues.

Warm Regards,

kl@nyhotelmgmt.com
NEW YORK HOTEL MANAGEMENT COMPANY, LLC
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in late September. Previous reviews were pretty accurate and it is a good place to stay at a reasonable price by NYC standards. It is a very busy hotel and whilst it offers a complimentary self service hot breakfast this is a rather chaotic affair no matter what time you chose. With over 300 rooms and a very small dining area it was a task to find somewhere to sit and there were lines to get at some items. However, the food was of good quality and an excellent selection. We had a "view" suit on the 28th floor which gave a good view over Manhatton rather than the bus terminal opposite which i guess is what you might get on the lower floors but waiting for lifts at busy times can be tiresome. Rooms are of reasonable size by NYC standards and equipped with fridge,freezer, microwave, dishwasher, hob plus utensils etc. However, our suite was not really suitable for "home cooking" as once cooked, nowhere to sit and eat it. With a room capacity for just 2 persons, a free breakfast provided and numerous local good value restaurants i doubt whether anyone would use the facilities and the space occupied by these appliances etc could be better utilised as general room space. We had a problem with noisy neighbors at 3am but i suppose most hotels get this at some time. Staff are really helpful. Location of hotel is bordering on "dubious" sited between 8th and 9th Avenue with the local Parole Board Center almost next door and a sleazy sex shop and liqor store on route to 8th and Times Square. Nevertheless it is a pretty good location with Times square a 10-15 min walk and the main shops on 5th and 6th Ave also nearby.

Room Tip: Higher floors may get better views if requesting a "view" room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Aguascalientes, Mexico
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Me and my family spend a week in NY to attend the Tennis US Open this Year, we stayed at this hotel, and the experience couldn't be better, our check in process was smooth and fast, in general the hotel facilities were great, rooms nice and clean , The kitchenette was pretty convinient for our propouses, the breakfast service was excellent, but thee were two things remarkable from our experience... First, The guest focus oriented personnel (James the bellboy did an outstanding job taking care of our luggage at our check in and out process, as well the concierge services). Secondly , the most than convenient ubication of hotel, to get the Billy Jean King Tennis Center took no more than walk 60 yards to get the subway (Port Authority) right at the corner of the same hotel's block, and to walk out from it , at the Millet Point Station, right in fornt of the event venue. Altough the hotel is so close from the all time busy and noisy Times Square area, sounds from it barely can be heared and much less feel bothered from them.
I highly recomended the hotel if you want to have like us "a perfect stay"

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
surrey
Reviewed September 28, 2012

A great choice if you want to stay in the heart of Midtown. We stayed in a comfortable king suite, spacious by NY standards. We were there for 8 nights, and were not disturbed by noise from fellow guests. If, like us, you can get a room on a high floor and at the back, you won't hear any street noise either. Room rates were reasonable, but can fluctuate widely - keep an eye on them, and take advantage if you can.
2 negative points, neither of which should put anyone off:
1. The hotel has only 3 elevators. Wait times can be quite lengthy. There is nothing the hotel can do to increase capacity, but there were irritating outages at times.
2. Breakfast (which is very good, and is included) can be an uncomfortable experience at busy times (which was every day during our stay). There is limited seating in the breakfast area, and you can take food across the lobby to the bar. However, many guests end up in the Great Room, sitting on easy chairs with their meals on coffee tables - pretty uncomfortable. It would be of great benefit if the hotel put in cafeteria seating and ripped out the easy chairs and coffee tables. This is NY, for heaven's sake - who wants to spend much time lounging around in their hotel?
I have rated the hotel a 4 - I would give 4.5 if I could.

Room Tip: High floor at back
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

The location of this place was perfect, so close to everything. Just round the corner from Times Square yet still quiet, unlike all the hotels that are bang in the middle of Times Square. Lovely clean rooms, had everything you need, including fridge, microwave, hob and Essential kitchen utensils for cooking! Would definitely stay here again, I hope we will one day :0)

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank SAS24
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I just returned after a three night stay at this hotel. Everything was perfect. The staff are super helpful and friendly. The daily breakfasts were delicious and offered a great variety. The Tuesday evening cocktail hour was also a nice touch for visitors to experience. The location is central and the actual room was spacious and modern. I will definitely stay at this hotel the next time I visit New York.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends