“Nice hotel, good location, very clean.”

Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City
Ranked #133 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Texas
“Nice hotel, good location, very clean.”
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Very clean hotel. We always check for bedbugs right away, and did not find any evidence of them. We stayed two nights, and were very happy over all. We had two adults and two children in our room. The kitchen had a full size fridge, microwave, two burner stove, and sink, pots and pans, coffee maker, and utensils. We didn't use the kitchen because the hotel provides free breakfast.

About the breakfast: It was just okay. The eggs weren't good. They tasted fake. They did have sausage and bacon, fruit, and muffins, toast, etc. I don't drink coffee, but my husband said theirs was good. The bad part about breakfast is that it is very difficult to get a seat. The overflow breakfast seating is in the "lounge," which has very low tables and chairs. It's hard to eat when the table only comes up to your knees. They also have overflow seating in the bar, but that was usually full, too. Several people brought their food to their rooms to eat.

About the free laundry: Yes, it's free. Even the soap is free if you didn't bring your own. However, there are only five washers and five dryers, and they are the SAME machines that housekeeping uses for the towels and blankets. Unbelievable, I know. So, I went down to the basement where the laundry room is at 3:30 in the afternoon, hoping to beat the evening laundry rush, and found ALL 10 machines full of towels and blankets. Housekeeping said they use the machines between 1 and 4 to beat the guest laundry rush! So we had to wait for them to finish. And I'm glad I waited IN the laundry room for 30 minutes, with no air conditioning, because by the time the machines were free there were three other guests waiting, and I had first dibs. The towels and blankets that housekeeping was washing took forever to dry, so again I had to wait after my clothes were washed before I could use a dryer. So what I'm saying is, don't count on using the machines. Just know they are there if you absolutely need them and are willing to wait. I guess it's better than no laundry facilities at all. I do think, though, that the hotel's website should be clear that the guest laundry is really NOT guest laundry, but housekeeping's laundry room that you can use if the machines are available.

The hotel, which is at 40th and 8th, is 2 blocks south and 2 blocks west of Times Square, which is at 42 and Broadway. So it's just outside of the action, but close enough to walk. It was quiet at night, even though our hotel was directly across the hall from the elevator. We had no trouble sleeping.

The hall ways and basement are not air conditioned. The AC in the room works very well.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank scrapulous

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,225)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Comfortable, modern, well equipped, clean room! Good selection at breakfast. Free wine, beer and snacks selected evening lovely touch. Great location! Would highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2011
Cambridge
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I travelled here with my partner and 2 friends, we had two rooms as they are double rooms only. The rooms were lovely and having a kitchenette in New York was Luxury as well as having a free breakfast each morning in the lounge.

The hotel provided everything we could have wanted on our 5 night break and the concirege and staff were all extremely helpful and friendly.

The Location was good too. A short walk to times square. The hotel is right outside the Port Authority bus terminal so its good if you want to go elsewhere or get a bus to and from the airport which we did. We walked everywhere and only got the subway when we went to downtown manhatten, we did not find it far to walk to 5th avenue nor central park and we were very close to Madison Square Garden which was good as we had some event there we went to see.

I would definately stay here again and it will be my first choice if i come back. I have been to new york several times before and this definately gave me the best value for money and the fact i was able to make my own late night snacks and endless cups of tea as well as have a large fridge and ice Machine topped it off.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are more or less the same and there are no great views as its not tall enough for...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HopeToSeeTheWorld
toronto
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Stayed at Staybridge with family, although was two blocks from time square, area was very uncomfortable and not safe feeling. Location is near parole office and parts of area are dingy. Breakfast was boring and same foods rotated every three days. It was nice however to have breakfast available. Elevator was slow and took a long time to reach lobby. Service was good. Staff was accomodating. Free laundry mat available for guest use. Price was reasonable with negotiation, but I personally would not return because of location. I recommend this hotel because it is new, clean and up to date.

2 Thank famjam3
Rio Vista, California
Reviewed July 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Staybrige the latter part of March 2011 and we were really impressed with the value. The hotel is fresh and new. The lobby is a little small, but the size of the rooms are premium. There is a Kitchette with frig, stove and microwave with some cabinet space which is very convenient to house all of the restaurant take homes and snacks. The bed was nice and very comfortable and the bathroom was more than adequate. This is not the fanciest hotel that I've been too, but the amenties, comfort and location make up for that. I was a little concerned that it was across from the Bus Authority, but was not a problem at all. We walked to Times Square during the day and late at night without feeling insecure.

I stayed at a different hotel last year and paid over twice as much per night for less than half the space and that hotel was much older.

The continental breakfast in the morning is limited, but very convenient and they provide containers 'to go'. I've been to NYC/Mahattan a few times and this is by far the best place that we have stayed and I am going to be booking our trip next year at the Staybridge Suites.

Room Tip: King room....great for two people
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patricia048
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 17, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Staybridge for two nights over a quick weekend trip. The hotel is quite basic, about what you would expect from a motel adjacent to a highway except this is a couple of blocks from the heart of Times Square.

The hotel is just a block away from the Port Authority so there is a ton of pedestrian traffic, not all of it entirely well-behaved or desirable. If you can get past the slightly seedy environs the property itself is clean and satisfactory. There is no on site restaurant but he hotel does provide a buffet breakfast that was included in the nightly rate. The bar is small and only open from 5PM onwards, so if you want a drink any other time you would be out of luck. However, there is a little "store" where you can get basics like water, soda, snacks, etc.

All said, if you are looking for an inexpensive place to stay within 2 minutes of Times Square, this is a great property. But be prepared for a basic set-up.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SelectTraveler
Van Alstyne, Texas
Reviewed July 16, 2011

We had a wonderful trip. We loved the hotel. the food and service was great. The people were very friendly and helpful. We especially enjoyed an employee named Marchin. He was so much fun and made us feel so welcome. He gave us info on shows and did daily magic tricks for us.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family