“Small room but good location”

Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street
Ranked #346 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Indonesia
“Small room but good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Just like other Manhattan hotels, the room is considerably small with two double beds. Even though the room is very small, we still have to pay $250 per night. It's no surprise that Manhattan hotels is one of the most expensive hotels in the world. We have to pay more than double compared to other HI Express in US.

The location is very near the Wall Street, Battery Park for Liberty cruise and 9/11 Memorial. The nearest subway station is Wall Street. We walked most of the time to many places in Manhattan. The parking fee is ridiculously expensive, for overnight we had to pay $45.

Breakfast is standard HI Express and we fill our stomach before long walk around dowtown and uptown Manhattan. Would recommend the hotel if you want to easy access to Liberty cruise. For similar HI Express in Times Square, the rate is more than $300 and the parking fee is much higher.

Since this was the last place before we left US, we're finally happy to see Liberty Statue and not far from our hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback and great that our location met your needs. We hope our service exceeded the size of our rooms. We hope you would consider us again for your future lodging needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Rooms are clean, breakfast is good, and the lobby is updated but thats where the good qualities stop.

I had an item stolen from my suitcase, luckily not of great value, but I was made to fill out a police report for a $30 item. The case was then sent to an insurance firm that denied my claim because the housekeeper has never done this before. Such a complete waste of my time I will never stay or recommend this property to anyone.

In addition to the petty theft, the AC unit in the window (if you choose to use it) is so loud it woke me up every time it turned on, but it was too hot to turn off. The AC is the gym was set to 85, so needless to say it was like a sauna in there, even with the 3 measly machines that were down there. Location is decent but all things considered this property fails.

Room Tip: dont stay here and you'll be happy
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rachael S
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your review. I truly apologize for the experience you had with us. We take every review and work on improving the situations to avoid these experiences to occur in the future. We truly hope you will give us another opportunity that way we can show you that we have made improvements based on our guest feedback. Thank you again and we hope you would consider us for your future lodging needs.
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

If you are coming to New York for Business around Wall Street / Lower Manhattan this is the perfect . However for sightseeing I would probably recommend something closer to the south side of central park. We went out some nights around here but there is not as much to do and to see as there was when we went a bit further north.

Breakfast in the mornings was great. Fruits, cereal, yogurt, pancakes, warm items and more. Great way to start the day, especially the pancakes.

Rooms were small as would be expected for such a central location and probably to small for a stay over 3 days. Also felt very damp with a musty smell which you really noticed if you didn't have the AC on. This was proven by the fact that a bottle of fabric freshener was left in my room when I checked in.

Overall if you are looking for somewhere to stay for business for a couple of nights this is great but otherwise you can probably find something with a better location and size rooms (with no smell).

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back or high up. Rooms at the front can be noisy I heard.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dutchmike82
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback. I'm truly apologize for the damp air in your room. We will review this for future stay to avoid this occurring again. We truly appreciate your comments and hope if you ever need to be in our area again you will stay with us. We look forward to your next visit.
Brampton, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Hey Folks.....just back from a 4 day air/hotel trip to NYC and stayed here. This is my 3rd trip to NY and I love the location. Seaport is a block away, transit is at the front door (bus), subway a couple of blocks over. Food a plenty close by. Free WiFi and complementary breakfast, lots of food and its hot and good as hotel food goes. We had a king suite, 1 king bed and a sofa couch. The AC is loud and cold but we tossed a blanket over the vent and softened the air flow. Ear plugs work for the noise of the unit. Staff were excellent in all capacities! Always friendly and accommodating to our every need. They called for cars for us as sometimes it was cheaper than taxi because of the metered rates. From LGA airport the fare to the hotel was $43.00 via taxi, private car back was 47.00, you can take the subway and bus if you are happy trotting your suitcase up and down stairs! I think this is the best overall location for NY, take the Staten Island Ferry (free 20 min ride) past the statue of Liberty, get off and return. At night you will get an awesome view of Manhattan lights by night. Take a city Metro pass $30.00 for 7 days of use unlimited...don't let the subway scare you, its fairly easy and the map from the hotel has all the Manhattan lines on it. Subway people are great just ask....Coney Island is a 45 minute trip and has a wonderful beach. Busy .....if you want less busy but still on the boardwalk, get off at Brighton stop. Take the B express back for a shorter ride. Try Broadway Langans Bar and Restaurant, 150 West 45th Street for lunch (Time Square). The 911 Memorial is awesome ( get free time tickets at the Memorial Museum on Vassey Street, on line ($). The lines goes quickly. Before you leave the airport there are info desks with bus, subway, train maps and schedules, grab them they work well. The NY Bus drivers are great just tell them where you want to go.....NY is a city for exploration don't shy away from it. My mom (84) myself (58) and my daughter (35) traveled all over it from 8am to 1am (love Time Square at night) and never had any issues. Battery Park, Empire State Building (better view from the top of the Rockefeller Center). Ride the ferris wheel in Toys R Us, too cute! There is so much to do, Canal street and knock off hand bags, best deal on Hester Street. Don't miss little Italy. If you need the "shopping mall" type shopping take the Path to Newark NJ, right across the street from the Marriott is a huge building and inside is a three level shopping mall. Macy's, Pennys and all the mall stores.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review. I truly happy to hear your feedback on our services and location. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and was able to do so much. We look forward to your next visit with us hopefully soon!
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

My friend and I stayed here about a week ago and it was ideal for our needs. We only stayed one night because we only had one day's worth of activities planned for lower Manhattan, and then we stayed at a different hotel in Times Square for the rest of the trip.
I had booked this stay through hotels.com and somehow the dates got mixed up and my reservation wasn't until the next night of when we planned to be there. The manager, David Hall, handled the situation beautifully. He got Hotels.com to cancel my reservation and give me a full refund and then he gave me a room at a much lower price than I was originally paying. It was a smoking deal and I was very appreciative! He said next time, to book with him directly, so I will!
I loved the location of this hotel because it was within walking distance of the South Seaport, where we ate, shopped and went to see the Statue of Liberty from. We also walked just a couple of blocks to the nearest subway to go to Chinatown and Little Italy within minutes. It's also near the NYSE and Ground Zero, so there's a lot you can do down there and stay in an affordable hotel that's almost half the price of any hotel in Times Square.
The room itself in tiny, as many in NYC are, but who spends time in the room anyway? We used it to sleep and shower and that's what it's good for. The bathroom is small and it's hard to close the door without closing yourself in it, but has vanity space to get ready with, so it's not too bad.
This is great for low-maintenance people who don't spend much time in their room. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your reviewt. I am very happy to hear we were able to accommodate your date change and the location was easy to get to the activities you wanted to do in our area. We thank you for choosing us and we hope to see you again soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

As other Holiday in express, that one offers complimentary internet and breakfast. the location is helpful only if you plan to visit lower manhattan. walking distance to south street seaport and Helicopter tours. 911 memorial, battery park and the ferry to statue of Liberty, city hall and wall st.
on weekends and nights most restaurants are closed.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor or you won't be able to sleep from the street noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit with us if you ever need to be in our area again.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Not the prettiest of places and it delivers what's on the tin - a value hotel in the centre of the Financial District
The staff on reception were very helpful. The room was clean and pleasantly furnished. Not large and I understand some rooms can be quite small. I was given 2004 which was fine for my 3 day stay - suggest you ask on reception. The room itself was very clean and kept that way though the elevators and areas in the room look tired and are in need of tidying up
Breakfast was Holiday Inn Express - industrial and certainly not to be swooned over. However the staff were cheery and often offered fresh fruit to compensate for highly preserved pre- packed stuff.
Would recommend though a colleague stayed at Club Quarters overlooking Ground Zero and for the extra few $ more I would choose this as a value alternative

Room Tip: Talk to the reception staff I got a good room might by due to my Priority Club membership
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 261simon_l
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback. Glad to hear our staff was helpful throughout your stay. I hope our staff service exceeded the size of our rooms. We look forward to your next visit with us soon.