“Small rooms, wet floor but great breakfast”

Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street
Ranked #361 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 27, 2013

If you need to be in Manhattan, this is a very convenient place to stay.
The room we were in was tiny, you couldn't even walk on both sides of the bed and we had a water issue. Due to either the rain or plumbing, the entire floor was wet but since the hotel was full they couldn't move us so we had to stay the first night. After that the manager moved us and we got a bigger room as compensation which was terrific.
The breakfast on the other hand was really great, lots of good stuff to eat, fantastic cinnamon rolls and the two ladies in there were really fabulous.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback and glad we were able to turn a poor situation into a great one. I apologize on your 1st night experience and hope we were able to handle the situation to your satisfaction. We truly thank you and look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

It was small but we expected that being in New York!! It was clean and quite!!! The Breakfast was average!! The location ended up not being a good place to stay. Had to get on subway to get to Times Square or anywhere else for that matter!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Great hotel to sleep. The lady in the restaurant is just so sociable. She loves her job and makes guests welcome.
Your breakfast needs improvement, especially everything backed. You can taste its not oven backed.....more like microwave backed. Tastes raw. Please do something. Why not just buy rolls down the street from a bakery. Its not likely to cost you much.

Room Tip: i stayed for 7 nights. So my comments are based on someone who stayed longer than the average hotel...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback and glad to hear our host was enjoyable during your stay. We will review our breakfast menu to improve on the quality of our food. We appreciate your comments and look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have just returned from a business trip to New York and stayed 3 nights in the Holiday Inn Express on Water St New York. The room smelt damp and the carpet was wet and sticky. I metioned this to reception on the first day and was told they would look into it - nothing was done. On checking out I was told that the hotel knew they had an issue with the 18th floor and to contact them next time and they would look after me - I would have appreciated it more if they had "looked" after me this time.

One good thing I must mention is the lady in the breakfast room - she was upbeat, helpful and generally really nice - I hope you pay her well she is a credit to your hotel.

Room Tip: Club Quarters around the corner :-)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Anonymous160
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. I truly appreciate your feedback and apologize that your concern was not taken care of during your stay. We appreciate your concerns and we made appropriate corrections to avoid this situation in the future. We hope you will visit us again to show you that we have corrected the issue and value your opinion. Thank you so much.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I found several cockroaches during my stay, one in a drawer where my clothes were, one running up the wall and the final one was in my bed linen on my final morning. (photograph below).

I travel a lot for work and pleasure and have never come across a cockroach infested room before.

As my stay in New York was brief I intended to spend my time sightseeing and not complaining at the hotel, as all they could do would be to move me roooms, and cockroaches can get anywhere. I had a planned itinery and I decided I wasn't going to let my first trip to New York be ruined because of the this. So I simply maximised my time out of the hotel.

However I did have 2 very bad nights sleep because of it, and I also avoided breakfast (the included breakfast being the main reason I picked this hotel over a similar priced one in the same area).

I have since contacted IHG group and explained my experience, but have had no response for a long time.

The price wasn't good either but I was aware it was a busy weekend, however I did get a bargain stay at the Hilton in Times Square for my final night in New York which was surprisingly cheaper than the Holiday Inn Express at Wall Street - showing the vast gulf in standards.

I have stopped in budget accommodation in my youth including hostels when travelling in Asia and I didn't even see a cockroach then, and it would have been half expected. A global brand like Holiday Inn and it's price and location in New York should not have a cockroach problem.

The only redeeming factor of my stay was the check-in and check-out was efficient and painless and the people working on reception were friendly, and the location is very close to Wall Street, 9/11 memorial, Battery Park and the ferry terminal.

Room Tip: I booked a "King room" - the photos online don't really demonstrate how small the room...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your review. I truly apologize for your experience with us. I reviewed your comments and picture and we did experience June Bugs in our lobby due to the season changing however we immediately reacted and contacted our exterminating company to get it removed. We had no site of the June Bugs in our rooms and at this time the June Bugs are gone. We truly hope you will reconsider us again in the future. We take our guest feedback very seriously and we do our best to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Perfectly fine for the price. I don't know why people are saying the rooms are small - they are a good size, and this is Manhattan so deal with it.

So far I have had great luck with the Holiday Inns in NY (the other one on 6th avenue was great as well).

100% recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback and glad that our size of rooms fits your needs. We look forward to your next visit with us soon.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Perfect for us. Would stay again. I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews but honestly we had a superb experience. We had friendly front-desk service. We booked a two-double-bed room through Hotwire for 189 and thought it was excellent value for the downtown NYC location. Just 4 units on our floor. It's a slim, tall building on Water at Wall. 9th floor room was very clean, compact but comfortable and well-appointed: fridge, microwave, full bathroom. If you can get 2 double beds, go for it. The room will be slightly bigger. The breakfast buffet was great for the kids and us. Kids loved the automatic pancake machine. Adults loved the fresh coffee. Everyone loved the super-friendly and efficient service. Drugstore and good NYC deli with massive salad bar/sushi/hot table next door. Walking distance to 9/11 memorial, Staten Island Ferry, Pier 11, East River Ferry Service and of course Wall Street. Wall St on the red 2 and 3 lines is the nearest subway stop.

Room Tip: Rooms with two double beds are a little bigger.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. I truly appreciate you giving us an opportunity and glad we were able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to your next visit with us soon!