“Short Break”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Short Break”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Had recently reopened after post Superstorm Sandy repairs to Reception & Basement. Mostly new staff but they were wonderfully friendly and helpful.
Very enjoyable stay, slept really well on 27th floor and we were even found a room with a bath.
Breakfast staff were unbeatable and the cinnamon buns “to die for” – very sad there were none on our last day.
Fantastic area to stay in and we loved NY.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback and thank you for returning after we reopened from the storm. I will share your comments on our new staff to our team. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Albany, New York
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Had to get last minute reservations in NYC and this was one of the few hotels in the area of my office that offered the government rate. Best selling point for the hotel was its location. The hotel itself is fine. Clean rooms. Free breakfast. Only one complaint..the bed was too hard. Otherwise, for the money...I'd stay here again if need be. Oh, one huge thumbs up to the staff. Everyone was super polite and friendly. :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review. I truly appreciate your feedback. Glad to hear my staff was great. I will have my housekeeping team double check our mattresses for better comfort. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Hotels in Manhattan are rarely under $200 so I was ecstatic when I found a deal on Hotwire for under $150 for this hotel. The hotel seemed like it was just remodeled. Everything is updated and very nice with nice comfy beds! This hotel is situated almost at the bottom end of Manhattan. It was minutes away from the 9/11 Memorial and Museum and the Brooklyn Bridge, which I walked and took the water taxi back. There are various subways close by and a bus stop right in front to take you uptown. Lots of stores and places to eat nearby. I arrived earlier than the check-in time and they were able to store my luggage while i explored the city. The staff was very kind and courteous. I would definitely stay here again for the right price!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I truly appreciate your feedback. Glad to hear you had a great stay. We look forward to hearing from our guest and we thank you for your great comments. Thank you so much and we look forward to your next visit with us.
London
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed in a number of hotels in the area and I decided to try this because it is nearest to the office so I wanted to see how it compares though most of my colleagues raised an eyebrow at the choice. I now see why. I know the hotels in the area are expensive but this reached a new low ... The check-in is inefficient with me completing paperwork - who does that in the computerised age? The room is filthy - I don't know when the carpet was last vacummed but the dirt is obvious with very thick layer of dust in an easily accessible spot behind the bedside table. There are no black out curtains - good luck to anyone jetlagged waking up at 4am in the morning with sunlight and messed-up body clock. The heating is a nightmare - I'm writing this in a jacket and when it does work - it also adds to the smell whirring around dust. I would note that just last week I stayed in Andaz half a block away - for about $60/night more (unfortunately that rate wasn't available for the short trip this week) - and it's night and day difference. I also stayed in doubletree several times - same price range but also substantially better and perfectly serviceable - only further away from my office.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MissTrump
Thank you so much for your review. I truly apologize for your dissatisfied stay with us. I have discussed your concerns with our housekeeping team and I assure you we have corrected your concerns. We rely on you as our guest to let us know how we are doing and I truly unhappy to hear about your poor visit. We hope that your willing to give us another opportunity that way we can show you that we listened to our guest and made improvements. Thank you so much and we look forward to your next visit.
Centralia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I really liked this hotel. I had read many reviews about how the rooms were "tiny". Come on people, this is New York City! I actually thought the room was very nicely sized for NYC. I've stayed in smaller rooms several times in the city. There was a desk, a flatscreen TV, a nightstand on each side of the King Size bed, a little dresser, and a small closet. The bathroom was very nice as well. The front desk staff was pleasant. The free breakfast was a definite plus. It was well stocked and very good. The 2 and 3 subway lines are just around the corner and up a block or 2. Very convenient.

I liked this area a lot because it's away from Times Square and all the touristy stuff. Yes, it's near Wall Street and the stock market, but it wasn't crazy crowded with people at all.

The only reason I gave this hotel 4 stars instead of 5 was because our toilet paper holder was broken, causing us to have to put the toilet paper on the sink counter (where it got wet). Also, the shower/tub combo drain ran very slowly. In fact, by the time I was done showering, I was standing in water up to my ankles. Also, the housekeeper unplugged my cell phone charger and moved it, moved my sunscreen into the bathroom, and also moved my bottle of Downy Wrinkle Releaser. I have no idea why. They were on my night stand and ended up in the bathroom when I returned. I don't like that they unplugged my cell charger and moved it for no reason either. I understand housekeepers might need to move a few things to clean properly, but there is no reason for what they did.

Everything else about this hotel was great. I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. I appreciate you comments and glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I have informed our housekeeping department about your concerns on moving your items. I definitely agree they should have left them the way you wanted them. We have corrected this error. We look forward to your next visit with us that way we can show you our improvements. Thank you so much for staying with us and can't wait for your next visit!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Met Scott the manager in the breakfast room (which was a good hot breakfast with great cinnamon rolls) and he inquired about our stay -- we were quick to point out his excellent staff (front desk staff found a pub for us and printed out the directions; Sonya in the breakfast room was so friendly and kept the mood light).

Our room was small with no view, but it was very clean and comfortable (not much hot water at 5PM) and the bed was comfortable.

The next day when we checked out Scott remembered us and where we were from -- maybe this is not a big thing, but being in the service industry myself. I think it is.

We were VERY impressed with this room for a very reasonable price. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a convenient location in lower Manhattan.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I truly appreciate your feedback and look forward to reading great comments on our team. Thank you for choosing us for your lodging needs and I have shared your great comments on our staff with everyone, We will also review the hot water to make sure we correct this. We look forward to your next visit with us soon! Thank you so much.
FL
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed here with my daughter on a recent trip to visit a college on Staten Island. About a 10 minute walk to Staten Island Ferry, right around the corner from Wall St. and the Financial District. Room was small but appeared recently renovated and was VERY clean. Small fridge in room, and microwave. Free hot breakfast was about par for the course for HIE with eggs, biscuits and gravy, juices, pastries and pancakes. Very friendly and helpful staff from check-in to housekeeping and esp in the breakfast area. Several dining options close by, nothing fancy but reasonable diner/deli type places. Lobby area small, but does have a small business center and fitness ctr. in the basement (never saw this so can't report on it.) Closest metro about 5 blks up Wall St. or at the Seaport.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback. Glad to hear you enjoyed our breakfast. We newly opened from Hurricane Sandy damages and glad you were able to notice our changes. Thank you and we look forward to your next visit.