“Got what I paid for”

Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square
Ranked #180 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I booked this hotel the same day, so my cost was $100/night. For a Manhattan hotel in a decent location, which this is, that's pretty good. That said, there were some issues.

-- The biggest issue was that my shower didn't work, and I ended up switching rooms. It was quite inconvenient though ironically enough, they moved me to the 2nd floor which I preferred since the bus depot was across from me and I had more privacy in that room than my original room.
-- My original room also had some issues with the outlets. Literally, the socket came out as I pulled my charger out. I should've known there was an issue when I spotted the black tape holding the sockets together.
-- I didn't like the bed at all. There was a cheap plastic feel to it, and it wasn't as comfortable as other Starwood beds.
-- Multiple towels in both rooms - my original as well as new rooms - were dirty. I hate that.

I did complain both to the hotel as well as Starwood via Twitter. The hotel was good at recognizing the inconvenience caused by the broken shower, and gave me fair compensation for the problem. While I wouldn't say this is my first choice the next time I stay in NYC, if I can get a similar price and get a room more like the 2nd room (vs. the original), then I wouldn't mind at all.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
lblfpts, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thanks to the reviewer for being open minded and fair, and for reporting the issues you experienced to us. We value the feedback of each of our guests, because our reputation lives with your experiences. Sooner or later a guest will experience a problem. It is up to us to respond in order to deserve to keep their loyalty. Thanks for highlighting that.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Nice, clean and very well located hotel (few minutes walking to Times Square). I experienced a very good service from staff when needed. Breakfast is good and it really worth it. Advisory about places to visit from the guys at the front desk was also very helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
lblfpts, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thanks to the reviewer for the feedback on our convenient location and helpful staff. I'm glad that you enjoyed breakfast, because we have recently invested considerably in upgrading the experience, and now offer a daily buffet in addition to our a-la-carte menu.

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Generally nice hotel. Very convenient location. It's just a couple blocks from the Port Authority bus station. Close to Hell's Kitchen and Times Square. Downsides: no ATM in the hotel. Extremely small lobby that gets very crowded during check-in/check-out times. Staff was not really helpful when I asked for dining recommendations.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thanks to the reviewer for their comments, I'm sorry that you didn't get the help that you needed from the staff. We do have a concierge service available for just that reason.
Also , we do now have an ATM at the lobby level for guest convenience.
Please come see us again, and thank you for your helpful input.
Best regards,

Reviewed October 13, 2012

This hotel has a great location - 2 minutes walk from Port Authority station and 5 minutes from Time Square. It has small but equipped rooms which I found very nice and clean. Finally, they have a great staff with great service (I needed an AC adapter, and 2 minutes after I asked it from the room service guy, I got it to my room).

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms without the view to the next building. It has offices in it so people can see y...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
lblfpts, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Thanks to the reviewer for the nice comments concerning location and service. I just wanted to let you know that in addition to the sheer curtain (shade) in the room, there is a second chain control that operates a seamless black out shade! They are behind the other curtains. Thanks again for the feedback, we hope to see you again.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

our stay was amazing.rooms are clean , the staff was mazing especially adem vale.He was helpfull to all guests.Higher floors have a good view.Times square is very close to hotel.Just 3 minutes by walk.

Room Tip: need to choose highfloor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thanks to the reviewer! We are very proud of our team, and their committment to serving you. Thank you also for recognizing Adam and sharing your experiences with us , and with the other travelers who read Trip Advisor. Please come and see us again and let us know if we are keeping up the good work!
Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Very small lobby. Only seating is on a bench. Guests arriving on red eye had to stand around, painful to watch them. One morning when it was raining hard they were told they had to leave and come back at 2. There are no nice coffee houses or breakfast places in the area and tourist attractions don't open until 9 or 10 so I don't know where they all went but anyone coming in an early flight beware.
Our only problem was with the air conditioner, it broke one night and had to be replaced by another used unit. The tech said that he had 8 other air conditioner calls that evening.

If you have breakfast in their. restaurant the a la carte menu is great, much better quality than the buffet. We found a good dinner for breakfast 3 blocks away on 9th. Ave. Everything else is fast food. Had a lovely pre-theater diner at PIo Pio within walking distance.

Our room was immaculate. All renovated. Great linens.
We did not mind the Parole Office next doors to the hotel not the parolees standing in line but we prefer a prettier and more quiet area such as Soho or Midtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back of the property because this is a busy area. The higher floors are mo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Apologies to the reviewer for the inconvenience with tring to get the room ready early and for mis communicating that. We ' ll take a look at our procedures to make sure that we do a better job with this. Once we give our word(that a room will be ready) we should keep it. Please do be aware though that check in is actually 3pm. We will "buff up" our list of coffe shops and diners, from our own Gotham bistro, to Starbucks, Sean and Deluca, Schnippers, and the various cafes that dot the area.
i also apologize for the a/c complaint. Although we do have a unit break and need to be replaced from time to time (we have spares on property), at this time of year most often the problem has to do with switching from cooling mode to heat mode. It' only requires the push of buttons, but it is sometimes confusing during this season.
Thank you again for the feedback. Sorry for the inconveniences. Please give us a chance to make this up to you next time.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Dont listen to all the negative stuff on here, this hotel was very good. The location was a couple of doors down from a rather seedy looking shop or two, but its one block from times square! Everything is just around the corner..another thing was the room size, mayby its because im from the UK but the room size was good, and the comfy bed was huge!
As with some others, the view from the window was poor, but i used the hotel to sleep in not watch the traffic!

Finally i must mention the staff, all were very friendly all the time, i must mention Leon on reception for his wonderful customer service.

When i booked the hotel i was concerned that the place would be average, in hindsight we couldnt have wanted more and if I ever get the chance to return to this wonderful city, i will not hesitate to return here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks to the reviewer for the wonderful comments, and for the reassurances to other travellers.
We are a safe , very well located hotel for access to many attractions that New York provides. Above all , we pride ourselves on our service, and the genuine character of our staff. I will make sure to recognize Leon, and to thank him for making a difference.
best Regards,