“Beautiful church”

St. Thomas Church
Ranked #74 of 1,131 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Built in 1913, this impressive church contains statues of more than 40 saints and bishops.
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We had passed this many times before I had never stopped in. We were staying nearby and decided to give this a look. We had to stop in the nearby St. Patrick's Cathedral but never Visited this church. We realized that we missed a lot by not visiting this. This is a beautiful example of a Gothic cathedral and since it is located in the middle of fifth Avenue in the heart of the shopping district many people like ourselves, pass by. This is a mistake. This is a church that should be visited and explored it is an architectural beauty in New York City.

1  Thank bwco

Reviewed December 23, 2012

The Anglican representation in St. Thomas isn't a gimmick; it's the true essence of the church and its practice. Close your eyes and you're attending Evensong in Cambridge, England, or Bath, Chester, Oxford, or any other cathedral city. While I wish there were a place for girl choristers in the choir so they may participate in the excellent music program the boys and men sing beautifully and the intricate harmonies are where you'll identify the "soul music" in an Episcopal Church. Worth arriving early for the lavish services on Christmas Eve and Easter.

2  Thank UptownScribe
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Walking up 5th Avenue many years ago I wandered into this church & was greatly impressed. Since then I consider it "my" church whenever I am in NYC & always visit it. It is such a contrast to St. Patrick's where there is always a crowd. I have never been there at the right time to attend a service, but once I persuaded a friend to go in with me & we were treated to the choir rehearsing for the Christmas Cantata. This is an excellent place to rest & meditate when you need a break from the hustle & bustle of the big city.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

While St Thomas Church does not have the notoriety nor the grandiosity of St. Patrick's Cathedral which is located across the street and a couple of blocks south on Fifth Avenue, this church is a must see among the churches of NYC.
I visit anytime that I am in the area and, every single time, am taken with the beauty of the unique and incredible sculpted alter, the serenity of the dark wood paneling and dimly lit areas and the beauty of the stained glass windows. Truly a sacred and divine place.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

This French gothic church is stunning, I walked in by chance out of curiosity and what a surprise. It was such a magical moment, completely empty and the amazing sound of the organ. 20 mins of unexpected peace on hectic 5th avenue. Very well maintained.