“Good Option For Lower Manhattan” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of W New York - Downtown

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
W New York - Downtown
Ranked #240 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good Option For Lower Manhattan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

I've stayed in a few W hotels in NYC. I would have to say I preferred this location over the others. Because it's a newer building, the rooms provide plenty of space. You can't beat the views either. Because it's right next to the World Trade Center construction, it's a fairly quiet area (for now). Great option for friends, couples, or those traveling for business if you need to be in the Wall Street area.

I always have a weird feeling about staying at a W, because it's the dance club version of a hotel, but if you can deal with that vibe it's a great option. This stay I didn't use any facilities or eat at their restaurants, so I can only comment on the room. It was spacious, clean, with a great view, and provided the amenities I needed for a quick one night trip to NYC. I would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: I was on the 21st floor, perfectly happy there
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear Erniegirard,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback about your stay at W New York - Downtown. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay!

I hope you do stay with us again on your next trip to NYC.

Please feel free to contact me anytime at 646.826.8600. It would be my pleasure to speak with you further about this or any future stays with us.

Patrick H.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

Interesting place. You enter on the street [where the big bar is located] then take the elevator up a few floors to the lobby, [which is not that uncommon in NYC].
The lobby decor is 'way out there', very European in design, a very specific taste is almost required to enjoy the ambiance. A lot of European travelers stay there and their cell phone use is non stop. Sidewalk-bar-elevators-concierge line-free coffee line; there is no escape, even if you come down for your coffee at 7:02 am, they are calling home and shouting due to poor connections.
A young US crowd stays there as well.
A strange thing is that they have a rear set of elevators in the lobby for the 10 or 15 floors of private residences that occupy half the tower. The 'residents' have a definite 'owners attitude' toward the hotel 'riff-raff' and you have to share the lobby with them---not too pleasant.

I am a Starwood Preferred and I love starwood but this hotel was just odd. The rooms were new eclectic and fancy, way back when, but now they are rather tired and dated. While you have a full view of the World Trade Center re-construction [25' across the street] it becomes a little depressing after a while. While I applaud the crowds that come to see the memorial, [as I have done myself, and it is worth it]; those crowds are just that, large crowds you have to deal with right out the front door on the hotel sidewalk, trying to walk around and competing for cabs.

Sorry, but you should avoid this place, it was quite expensive $300+ per night and simply not worth it. If you 'need' to stay at a fancy WTC hotel; go a diagonal block over to the Millenium Hilton-a great place, fancy and updated with a cool bar, restaurant and a pool.

Room Tip: The Hilton Millenium across the street.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Chasmyboy,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I am sorry to see that our property was not to your taste and that you felt a negative vibe in our public areas from both our guests and our residents.

I will tell you that since your stay the line to view the 9/11 Memorial has moved and there are no longer large crowds in front of our entrance.

Please contact me directly at 646.826.8600 so that we can further discuss your stay. I hope that you will consider giving us another chance to deliver the full W service promise.

Alpharetta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

I was working in TriBeCa this past weekend and so decided I would rather stay down that way rather than in midtown where I usually stay. I decided to use Priceline as it wasn't a crazy expensive time in NY and there seemed to be good options, this hotel came up in downtown, on Express deals, as 4.5 stars and at $164 that seemed great! After choosing that option I was informed it was the W downtown which I was really happy about. Flat rate to the city from JFK, so the Uber wasn't anymore or less expensive (taxi $45 plus tolls) uberX ($65 plus tolls) I got a driver with a Chysler 300.
The great thing about this hotel is the Rector St subway stop is right around the corner, so getting uptown is very easy and only $2.50.
My room on the 11th floor was not facing Freedom Tower, I would think those rooms would have been great. My room was exceptionally clean, the bed comfortable and the bathroom was a really good size, I loved it. And, there was something really nice about being away from the pulse of midtown.
I would have rated it 5 stars but I ordered coffee to my room in the morning, the menu said $8 with the service charge it was $16, and, the first pot - it was a French press had really large chunks of coffee floating in it once I poured it, when I called the whatever/whenever the person said, that's just how a French press comes (I have one at home, mine certainly doesn't) anyway they said they would send another pot up, and that came quickly - great, but still chunks of coffee, the man who brought it up said he would try again, and he agreed, it shouldn't be like that, he would go and try again.... Which he did - mind you, I'm running out of time now, but he came back up, this time with a pot of drip coffee - on the plus side the service was great, the coffee in all cases was piping hot and the milk was cold, but I just didn't have a decent relaxing cup of coffee in the end as I had a meeting to get to. I haven't checked my bill yet, I really hope after all that they didn't charge me for it.
I really would stay here again, I thought overall there were a lot of good things and that was a great price.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Annette T
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

As a hotel, I can't complain. It's clean, it's modern, and the staff are mostly cheerful. The lobby and bars are a beautiful representation of culture--fashion, art, music, and nightlife. The rooms have custom furniture and artistic value, but aren't particularly upscale or comfortable.

The problem is, that pretty much sums it up. If this were a run-of-the-mill hotel in a suburb of any typical city, I would be content; however, this is neither. This is a W, in downtown New York City. The W line, at least to me, carries a certain weight; my expectations are automatically several levels above "typical." The first time in a W, generally, should be unique. And while there was certainly a good representation of New York inside, I didn't experience anything that I haven't found in lesser/cheaper hotels.

Having said that, I am rating this hotel "average" because that is exactly what it was. It met or even exceeded my expectations for a 2-3 star chain hotel. However, as a hotel of its caliber, it's nothing special. It's simply not worth the extra money over a lesser hotel, which may also have free in-room WiFi.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear MichaelCWhitman,

I am so sorry to see that your experience at W New York - Downtown did not exceed your expectations for both New York City and the W brand.

We are always working to improve our guest's experiences and I would like to speak with you further so that we can improve our services.

I may be reached via email at GMPatrick.Horstmann@whotels.com or at 646.826.8600.

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

This hotel has a great location if you plan to stay around downtown most of your trip, which was our case. It can get a little tiresome to keep going daily to midtown and uptown, I imagine. Access to subways are easy, but taxis can be hard to find during rush hour. There are plenty of restaurants, stores and tourist attractions around.

This has the vibe of other W properties, which means modern decor, loud lobby music at night and an upscale feel. You won't be disappointed if you enjoyed other W properties, but don't expect anything too different.

The room was small, but very decent sized for NY standards. Our room had no maintenance issues, the bed was comfortable, the shower was great and the view from 9/11 memorial was fantastic. We used the connections panel provided for the TV and it worked perfectly, easy to set up and it was a welcome addition. One issue was that the walls were on the thin side, so we could sometimes hear the room next door.

There is no free wi-fi in the room (which is always a drag), but at least there is access in the lobby (5th floor), which is more than I can say about some other properties. It's also nice to have water and coffee at the lobby as well.

This would have been a clean review, but poor service cost the hotel one star. The staff was nice and efficient for routine tasks (check-in/out, housekeeping), but we had 2 issues during our 3-night stay of employees making no effort to be helpful (concierge and bell man), on simple requests that took 5 minutes for me to solve after I decided to do it myself. It seemed that if something deviated slightly from their routine duties, it was greeted with an unwelcome attitude.

If I plan to go back downtown I will probably consider the W again, but I do believe the concierge service can be more accommodating.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear AstroJunq,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such detailed feedback about your recent stay.

We are glad that your overall experience was positive and that you enjoyed all of the attributes of our unique location. We are very proud to be part of the Lower Manhattan community and all that it has to offer.

I am however very disappointed that we did not deliver our Whatever/Whenever service promise to you on a few of your interactions. I would love to hear more details about those experiences so that we can address them with our team and provide them with detailed areas of opportunity. If you would like, please phone me anytime at 646.826.8600 and we can discuss further.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again the next time your find yourself in New York. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back and ensure that we exceed your expectations.

Devon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Very funky hotel - situated right next to the 9/11 memorial - so you get views of the queues all day. Situated in the heart of the financial district, its OK, but we seemed to spend our time in taxis going back and forth to mid town, Soho and Greenwich.

Very small rooms but well appointed - although there is barely space in the showeroom for toiletries. The only mirror is in the bathroom, which makes getting ready a challenge for two people (showering, make up, hair drying etc).

We had a coffee maker in our room (complimentary) but the promised refills weren't there every day and we were constantly asking for these to be brought up.

Drinks generally expensive as you would imagine.

Can't help thinking we might have benn better off in another hotel with a larger room.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Flyingpasty,

I am sorry to see that your experience at W New York - Downtown did not exceed your expectations.

I would love to speak to your further so that I can better understand how we can improve our guest experiences. In addition, I hope you will consider giving us another chance to improve your impression of our location.

I may be reached at 646.826.8600 and hope to speak with you soon.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Date of visit: Sunday, 20 April

Location: Literally across the street from the World Trade Center site, walkable to Battery Park

Looks: A little "weird" that check-in is actually on the 5th floor, so there isn't a welcoming lobby in the traditional sense. The interior is dark and sexy like other W's.

Amenities: You walk right into the Living Room bar, which has a very inviting terrace with ample seating to enjoy the outdoor air. One couch in the corner is set against the high-rise brick exterior, which provides a great photo opportunity. I did not get a chance to sample a cocktail, but the bartender kindly greeted me as I walked by.

Room: Whereas the W in Union Square had a more serious look with their reptilian-skin textures, the W in Downtown reminded me a bit of South Beach, or the newly designed Tropicana in Vegas -- a glossy, white canvas with splashes of red. It gave a very cooling effect (which was probably more due to the a/c that had been turned up), and I liked it a lot on that very warm day. I enjoyed the view of the 1 WTC from my room.

Verdict: A true "W Hotel" in terms of minimalist decor, but less of a see-and-be-seen vibe (there were plenty of families with kids in the lobby for a Sunday). I'd recommend it as a great place to stay, esp if you want to do the ferry to Ellis Island. Can't imagine an extended stay here though (for a tourist) as there is not much in the way of attractions.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear WheresDuy,

Thank you so much for your incredibly detailed review and feedback of W New York - Downtown. I know that we and our future guests appreciate you taking the time to chronicle your experiences.

I do hope that you will come back to visit us again soon.

If you would like to discuss this most recent stay or any future stay, please call me anytime at 646.826.8600.