“Nice, chic hotel across from the World Trade Center”

W New York - Downtown
Ranked #239 of 467 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco, California
“Nice, chic hotel across from the World Trade Center”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

The W hotel downtown is what you would expect from the W chain. When you arrive, the lobby is on the 5th floor and it's dim lighting and chic design makes you feel like you are in a swanky lounge. The service at the front desk was great and fast. It took a couple of minutes to check in and then I was on my way up the elevator to my room. The rooms are a decent size for a NY hotel. They aren't well appointed but more simple and sleek in design. My room had a large bathroom and the shower was really nice, with beautiful tiles and a rain shower head. I had a great view of the WTC memorial and the new tower. The bed was very comfortable with the typical heavenly dressings. Overall I liked this property. The 5th floor lobby also has a bar and a good sized seating area to relax. It is a bit dark and cavelike though.
There is also a restaurant on the first level that I didn't try but it looked packed with people.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the WTC
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Grace G
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Grace G,

We are happy to see that you enjoyed your overall stay at W New York - Downtown. We are happy that you were able to enjoy time in our Living Room Bar and hope you will come back to visit this summer and take advantage of our wonderful Terrace bar.

If you would like to speak to us further about your experiences please feel free to contact me directly at 646.826.8600.

Patrick H.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Friendliest of welcomes from everyone at the hotel. Nicole at concierge is the best. Room was very clean and comfortable. Moving view of Ground Zero. Tribeca or Fulton Market is a short cab away. Very handy for my work in Jersey City.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Fraz_LA,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay at W New York - Downtown.

I am so pleased to see that you found our property warm and welcoming. I also appreciate your highlighting some wonderful aspects of our unique location.

We hope you will come back to visit us soon, either for more work in Jersey City or for fun one weekend!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you at 646.826.8600.

McKinney
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

Just stayed at this hotel on business trip. Rooms are small and nothing is FREE. You pay for internet service in your room and it's not very close to the convention center without taxi service. I have stayed at W in Dallas and was more impressed for the money with that W than the one in NY. Great pub across the street :Ohara's.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear ChristyFurr,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to see that we did not live up to our high service standards at W New York - Downtown.

I would like to discuss your stay further so that we can discuss your feedback. Please contact me anytime at 646.826.8600.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This was a business trip where I had to stay down by the Wall Street area. The W Hotel was a great pick by my assistant. I got a great rate and was very happy with everything. The staff was very attentive, the property was modern and up to date and my room, though a tad small for anyone traveling with a family, was perfect for me on a business trip. The only very minor complaint I had, and I asked them to address this, is that there isn't free wifi for guest, which I was a little surprised by. But other than that, I give this property a strong recommendation!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Freedom Tower!!!
Dear Vince P,

Thank you for much for sharing your experiences at W New York - Downtown. I'm very pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you as well for posting such a wonderful picture of the new Freedom Tower. We are quite proud of our views and you captured our unique location spectacularly!

I hope you will come to visit us again soon.

If you would like to speak with me further about this or any future stay, please call me anytime at 646.826.8600.

Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My stay was first rate from checkin to check out. The lobby was very contemporary and the front desk staff were great. My room was very modern, well appointed and had an incredible view overlooking Ground Zero, the Reflecting Pool and the new Peace Tower under construction. The restaurant served a great dinner and very creative breakfasts. The hotel was a very short walk to the Wall Street area and there were several good restaurants and pubs nearby. And to top it off, my room rate was a good value. There is no doubt that I will be back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Brendan P,

Thank you for your review!

We are so pleased that we could make you feel at home during your stay at W New York - Downtown. We take great pride in our location and are happy that you found some of the gems Lower Manhattan has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to speak further about your experiences.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 11, 2014

W hotel NYC Downtown is conveniently located next to ground zero. Rooms are quite compact, typical of New York hotels. The service is also less personal than those in smaller cities. The reception looks more like the entrance to a night club, dark and a little mysterious, which is quite interesting. The rooms have everything a business traveler needs, one big complain though, is that the blinds are not opaque nor do they fully cover the window, making it pretty difficult to shut out the lights on the street, not to mention the sun during the day, making it a little difficult for a business traveler to get over the jet lag.

Room Tip: choose a room that's facing west if you want to sleep in.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Eva Y,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences at W New York - Downtown.

We are currently working on a solution for the issue that you noted with the blinds in your room. We always want our guests to feel well rested and ready for anything and clearly we missed the mark. I am very sorry that you left feeling disappointed.

I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future. I would love to speak with you further about your most recent experience and the possibility of a future stay. Please feel free to contact me directly at 646.826.8600.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I was in the city for a business but I started my trip with a Saturday night here

The Good:

If you're looking to be downtown then this is as good a place as any, its close to Wall St, Century 21 and the metro to get you to other places.

The concierge was very helpful when I needed to locate somewhere open early on a Sunday morning to re-heel shoes.

The bed was very comfortable and the products (Bliss range) were fabulous

The restaurant downstairs was good with circular booths and a great selection of food.

The bad

I felt I was too old (at 35!) for this hotel. I arrived around 9pm following a flight from London and to get to the lobby you need to get through swarms of people as the area doubles as a bar/nightclub. The tunes were pumping, people are dancing and I needed to weave through the crowd with a suitcase to stand next to the DJ box to get a lift to the bedrooms.

There is a lot of white leather in the rooms, a promotional CD and large bottle of wine, but no tea or coffee making facilities. It all looked very 'cool' but not very practical. Its a small thing but plug sockets by the bed are more useful than plugs by the bathroom (I like to charge my phone at night and have it there to use it as a clock).

I also wouldn't feel comfortable walking the area at night, I moved to the W Union Sq the next day and I felt much more comfortable in this area. For the same price I would chose that hotel over this one anytime.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Katherine C
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Katherine C.,

Thank you so much for your feedback - both our successes and opportunities.

First, I am so sorry you felt too old! We definitely do not want our guests to feel out of place, but rather to foster a sense of inclusive exclusivity. I will look closely at how we can better escort our guests through Living Room Bar & Terrace on busy nights.

I have also noted your feedback regarding the set-up of the room. We are currently looking in to ways to better improve our presentation and I will share your thoughts with the team.

I do hope you will give us a second chance on your next trip to New York. I would welcome the opportunity to improve on your experience.

Please feel free to contact me directly at 626.826.8600.

General Manger