“Great Rate, Great Property”

W New York - Downtown
Ranked #239 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This was a business trip where I had to stay down by the Wall Street area. The W Hotel was a great pick by my assistant. I got a great rate and was very happy with everything. The staff was very attentive, the property was modern and up to date and my room, though a tad small for anyone traveling with a family, was perfect for me on a business trip. The only very minor complaint I had, and I asked them to address this, is that there isn't free wifi for guest, which I was a little surprised by. But other than that, I give this property a strong recommendation!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Freedom Tower!!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Dear Vince P,

Thank you for much for sharing your experiences at W New York - Downtown. I'm very pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you as well for posting such a wonderful picture of the new Freedom Tower. We are quite proud of our views and you captured our unique location spectacularly!

I hope you will come to visit us again soon.

If you would like to speak with me further about this or any future stay, please call me anytime at 646.826.8600.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

My stay was first rate from checkin to check out. The lobby was very contemporary and the front desk staff were great. My room was very modern, well appointed and had an incredible view overlooking Ground Zero, the Reflecting Pool and the new Peace Tower under construction. The restaurant served a great dinner and very creative breakfasts. The hotel was a very short walk to the Wall Street area and there were several good restaurants and pubs nearby. And to top it off, my room rate was a good value. There is no doubt that I will be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Brendan P,

Thank you for your review!

We are so pleased that we could make you feel at home during your stay at W New York - Downtown. We take great pride in our location and are happy that you found some of the gems Lower Manhattan has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to speak further about your experiences.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

W hotel NYC Downtown is conveniently located next to ground zero. Rooms are quite compact, typical of New York hotels. The service is also less personal than those in smaller cities. The reception looks more like the entrance to a night club, dark and a little mysterious, which is quite interesting. The rooms have everything a business traveler needs, one big complain though, is that the blinds are not opaque nor do they fully cover the window, making it pretty difficult to shut out the lights on the street, not to mention the sun during the day, making it a little difficult for a business traveler to get over the jet lag.

Room Tip: choose a room that's facing west if you want to sleep in.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Dear Eva Y,

We are currently working on a solution for the issue that you noted with the blinds in your room. We always want our guests to feel well rested and ready for anything and clearly we missed the mark. I am very sorry that you left feeling disappointed.

I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future. I would love to speak with you further about your most recent experience and the possibility of a future stay. Please feel free to contact me directly at 646.826.8600.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I was in the city for a business but I started my trip with a Saturday night here

The Good:

If you're looking to be downtown then this is as good a place as any, its close to Wall St, Century 21 and the metro to get you to other places.

The concierge was very helpful when I needed to locate somewhere open early on a Sunday morning to re-heel shoes.

The bed was very comfortable and the products (Bliss range) were fabulous

The restaurant downstairs was good with circular booths and a great selection of food.

The bad

I felt I was too old (at 35!) for this hotel. I arrived around 9pm following a flight from London and to get to the lobby you need to get through swarms of people as the area doubles as a bar/nightclub. The tunes were pumping, people are dancing and I needed to weave through the crowd with a suitcase to stand next to the DJ box to get a lift to the bedrooms.

There is a lot of white leather in the rooms, a promotional CD and large bottle of wine, but no tea or coffee making facilities. It all looked very 'cool' but not very practical. Its a small thing but plug sockets by the bed are more useful than plugs by the bathroom (I like to charge my phone at night and have it there to use it as a clock).

I also wouldn't feel comfortable walking the area at night, I moved to the W Union Sq the next day and I felt much more comfortable in this area. For the same price I would chose that hotel over this one anytime.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Katherine C
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Katherine C.,

Thank you so much for your feedback - both our successes and opportunities.

First, I am so sorry you felt too old! We definitely do not want our guests to feel out of place, but rather to foster a sense of inclusive exclusivity. I will look closely at how we can better escort our guests through Living Room Bar & Terrace on busy nights.

I have also noted your feedback regarding the set-up of the room. We are currently looking in to ways to better improve our presentation and I will share your thoughts with the team.

I do hope you will give us a second chance on your next trip to New York. I would welcome the opportunity to improve on your experience.

Please feel free to contact me directly at 626.826.8600.

General Manger

Reviewed January 9, 2014

It was cold. Enjoyed the warmth of the hotel. Friendly arrival experience. Efficient Concierge. Tasty Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows available comp for all guests. Room comfortable with great views of the freedom tower and memorial. Stayed in for dinner...enjoyed food and service. Nice variety. Good fitness center. Enjoyed all, would return.

Room Tip: Request view of freedom tower
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Delfin O

Hello OmniSAClolnnade,

Thank you so much for your review! I am glad to see that you enjoyed a warm experience at W New York - Downtown despite the cold weather.

We hope you will come back and stay with us soon!

Please feel free to reach out to me directly at 646.826.8600.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here for two nights just after new years for a birthday celebration and had a great experience. As a Platinum SPG member, I've seen quite a few Starwood and W hotels and from my experience the service here maintained the high quality one would expect at a W hotel. The manager and staff were wonderful in helping me make this a special weekend to remember. The guy who checked us in was especially friendly and inviting which helped set the tone for the rest of our stay. As many other people mentioned, the location is great if you're looking to stay downtown and within reasonable walking distance of different subway stops. The views of the Freedom Tower/WTC Memorial were also unbeatable. My only tiny nitpick would be that I couldn't find a way to attach my iPhone to the stereo system, however this is incredibly minor given that everything else was quite wonderful. I would definitely recommend this property to others looking at staying in the downtown area.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris K
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Chris K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences at W New York - Downtown. We are so happy that your celebration was memorable.

I appreciate the feedback regarding the stereo system and will definitely look into ways to improve upon this aspect of our rooms.

Again, thank you for staying with us and I hope you will come back to visit us soon.

If you would like to discuss anything further, please feel free to contact me anytime at 646.826.8600.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I've stayed in other W hotels around the world and unfortunately this one fell far below the usual standard.
Location is great and the decor etc is stylish as would be expected however the staff and service leave a lot to be desired. Our check in and welcome was poor..There was no mention of any hotel facilities and no offer for our bags to be taken to our room.
The rooms are ok (if you pay extra for an upgrade). The view over world trade is impressive. The corridors are shabby with dirty carpet and shabby doors. The gym is great..excellent facilities and a good size. The bar area is nice and vibey in the evening especially with the in house DJ.
All in all I was disappointed with this hotel and would look elsewhere next time I visit the city.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fern_Blue_Lady
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear AmyH486,

Please accept my apologies for a less than perfect experience at W New York - Downtown.

I appreciate the excellent feedback about our opportunities to improve and can assure you that they will be addressed immediately.

I do hope you will change your mind and stay with us the next time you find yourself in New York. I would love to have a chance to make up for this disappointing stay.

Please contact me directly at 646.826.8600 so that we may discuss further opportunities.