“Beautiful design and location, good for a business trip”

W New York - Downtown
Ranked #260 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed in the W Downtown New York for one night on a business trip. It is located adjacent to the World Trade Center site where the Freedom Tower is now being built. This represents quite a dramatic backdrop to the hotel. The drama continues as you step out of the elevator to the 5th floor lobby. I arrived at night and the reflection of the neon, undulating ceiling on the black marble floor was impressive. It was a Monday night so the lobby bar was not too full, but it did look inviting. Check-in was quick and I headed off to my 20th floor room. Two things struck me as I entered. The AC was on full blast so it was freezing in the room. The second, was the size. The room was $300 / night (on my company's discount, no less) and it was tiny. There was barely enough space for me to open my rollerbag. However, the bed was extremely comfortable and the shower (with the Bliss amenities) was great in the morning. Most importantly, it was very quiet and the din of the city did not disrupt my sleep. Overall, I would happily try the W Downtown again for a business trip, but probably upgrade to a larger room. The design aspect of the hotel is much sharper and creative than other W hotels I have been to and the bar options seem attractive.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Hello travelrabbit2003,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. The detailed report you gave of your stay gave a great visual to those other guests who might be considering our property. I would be more than happy to personally see to your accommodations on your next stay. After booking, please contact me at directly with the details.

Wolfgang Wehen – General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,217)

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We travel to NYC frequently on work. This was the first time I stayed at the W. The service was outstanding. We got upgraded when we arrived, which I was not expecting. The staff was amazingly friendly. And the hotel is located right in the heart of the city. Drinks were a bit expensive but creative and great. The only problem I have is that now I will have trouble staying anywhere else in NYC

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Hello FrankZ6,

Thank you for sharing your most recent experience with us here at W New York – Downtown! I really appreciate you taking the time to share such positive feedback with us; it is always encouraging to hear when we succeed in creating a wonderful experience for our guests. While I must admit I fail to see the problem you stated; I am slightly partial. It was truly a pleasure sharing your comments with our team. FrankZ6, thank you again for your feedback and I do hope to see you here again! Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if I can ever be of assistance; it would be my pleasure.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The W Hotel was a great place to stay for us. We were close enough to a subway station and right across the street from the World Trade Center Memorial. We were able to use this as our base to explore NYC all weekend. The hotel is very clean and trendy. The even have a DJ in the lobby bar at night. One nice feature of the hotel is the free Acura ride to any destination in Manhatten.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello Michael M,

We truly appreciate the wonderful comments you had about your stay. We strive to make our guests escape with us as enjoyable as possible. We are glad that we were able to do so in your case and hope to do so again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of further assistance.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Whenever I'm in NYC for work, I always opt to stay at the W in downtown. The style, service, and amenities are excellent and true to the W brand. This W is located in the heart of the financial district. It is directly across from the world trade center memorial and the room I stayed in had a direct view of the twin fountains. It is also walking distance from century 21, brooklyn bridge, and battery park.
One thing that always stands out about the W downtown is the exceptional service. Everyone I encountered; the bell hop, front desk, concierge, bartenders, and cleaning ladies were all friendly and helpful! The staff really go out of their way to answer any questions I have and ensure that my stay is pleasant!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Hello Sue S,

We appreciate you taking a moment to let us know about your recent experience at our property. It is great reading about the memorable moments that we helped to create. I am glad that our team was able to spoil you as you deserve. I am sure they will be happy to hear that their efforts were appreciated when I share your review with them. We do hope that we can serve you again in the future. If there is anything you need feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Great location!! It's a quite side of downtown and after you get over being within arms distance of the 911 memorial (it's a little creepy) it's awesome. The staff was unbelievable, restaurant downstairs was delish, the drinks at the bar were great even tho they were $14, (but that's how it is in Manhattan). It's easy to get to the subway and head up town. My girlfriend and I loved it!!

• Stayed: July 2013

Hello Jacob_Davidson,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We were pleased to read the wonderful comments you had about your stay. We hope you will return to enjoy our property again. If I can be of any assistance, please contact me directly.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed at the W New York for a conference. I'm not an SPG, and don't normally stay at W's, so I can't comment on how it compared. Our room was clean, cool, and had a great view of the 9/11 memorial. Only negative - the construction outside was very loud.

And while all of that is important, the 2 women running the concierge desk were the best reason to return to this property in future. They went out of their way to make sure my visit went smoothly. One of them found me a phone charger since I'd left mine at home. They both gave great directions. These 2 ladies took the W from a good experience to a great experience!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Hello wmk191,

We appreciate you taking a moment to let us know about your recent experience at our property. It is great hearing about the memorable moments that we helped to create. We are certainly fortunate to have Teela and Nicole on our Team. I have shared your comments with the entire team so that we can celebrate this success story. We do hope that we can serve you again in the future. If there is anything you need feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We've had a wonderfull stay there as we discovered downtown NY. The experience of being in front of the WTC site in absolutely amazing. Very trendy atmosphere, excellent service, great location, ... A place we'll be returning to for sure...

Room Tip: When we stayed there there was still construction work going on at the WTC site. That caused quite s...