“Baby you should drive my car!”

W New York - Downtown
Ranked #241 of 466 Hotels in New York City
New Jersey
“Baby you should drive my car!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Interesting location across street from 9-11 Memorial. I got put off right way however, by the alleged valet service when I got out of my car. A odd fellow from the hotel quickly told me that it would be $65 (I think its $36 at the W in Union sq) for the service in a tone that seemed to be meant to discourage me. When I agreed to pay it he then asked me if I could get back in my car and park it in a space behind me!
When I looked at him like he was crazy he said that the valet service wasn't part of the hotel and thus he couldn't move the car! Wow what a deal for $65. Fortunately things went uphill after that. Rooms are best described as space aged pods. Very modern and quite sleek. Had drinks and a shrimp cocktail ($16-4 good size shrimp) on the terrace. Nice service... Dinner at BLT was
quite good and fairly reasonable. Definitely try the polenta with cheese and bacon as a side. Excellent!

• Stayed May 2013
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Hi Dunngraves,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I'm sorry to hear about the mishap you had at the start of your stay. I am glad we were able to make the rest of your stay more relaxing and enjoyable. We hope that we will have another opportunity to show you our hospitality. If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me directly.

Wolfgang Wehen – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My husband and I travel to the city numerous times a year as it's my favorite place to be. We have stayed at several different hotels in several different locations throughout Manhattan. At our last stay in the city, we had admired the looks of the the W Downtown from our room in another neighboring hotel we had been staying in.

So for my birthday we decided to book our stay at W Downtown. Our check-in was speedy and the staff friendly. The hotel was very trendy and almost futuristic looking. It was neat, but not usually what I would go for. Our room was clean and plenty well stocked with lots of little things that you could buy. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom, was nice, but no bathtub, the lighting in the room was TERRIBLE!!! There was not enough of it and what was in there kept flickering and was dim. Plus they charge for everything and the prices are high and no free wi-fii.

The crowd that was staying the hotel seemed to be a younger crowd (my husband and I are in our 40's). There was a couple of young boys there skating around on roller blades and some with skateboards. This seemed odd to me because I thought it was more of a business hotel.

Room service was good and the food delish. I caution you however, to be very careful when ordering from the breakfast door hanger. It is very misleading. We ordered our breakfast from it the 1st night we stayed and when it arrived the next morning, they double charged us for everything ($90.00) for a breakfast ($12.00 for coffee, $6.00 per cup for juice, our breakfast $41.00). The door hanger made it appear as if the coffee and the juice was included with the 2 breakfast dishes we had ordered. Plus there was lots of extra taxes, room delivery fees, services charges, etc. When I had called to speak to someone about this and get a copy of my bill, it took almost 6 hours before I had gotten it resolved and numerous phone calls. The manager, Courtney I think her name was, was very nice and eager to please. She immediately fixed the bill and sent a copy up to our room. I was grateful for her.

I was also disappointed with the Acura service that they offer. 2 nights in a row I tried to book it to get to our evening events and was told both nights that they were booked. The 2nd day I called by 9 am for 5 pm that night. He told me they only have 2 cars for 200 rooms and they book up quick. Perhaps if you're going to offer a service for that many rooms, you should have more cars. I was very annoyed with this.

We had a very nice man visit our room from engineering as we couldn't figure out how to open the fridge. He was very nice and helpful. That is the the biggest plus of W Downtown.........the staff were all very friendly.

On the day after my birthday they did send up a card, a peice of cake and 2 bottles of water to our room. I thought this was very nice.

All in all, for what you pay and what you get, I much rather prefer the Bryant Park Hotel or Marriot Downtown. I probably wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: The cozy corner rooms have good size windows that open and overlook the 9/11 memorial.
Hi Michelle M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I am glad that there were many aspects of your stay that were pleasing to you. I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you experienced with your In Room Dining order. Please contact me directly so that I can start on restoring your faith in our hotel.

Oaxaca
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Starwood hotels charge you extra if you want wifi in your room, and it is fine, but in my last visit the Wifi in W Hotel in the Financial District in New York didn't work 80% of the time. It is trendy as many other W Hotels in the world but nothing spectacular. The rooms are as expected but it is overpriced. Specially if the extra services you request are not effective.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Hello WorldTraveler1014,

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you experienced with your intenet connectivity. I am very sorry that we could not resolve the issue while you were still with us. Please feel free to contact us at the hotel and we will be glad to reverse the chage.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 17, 2013

The hotel was clean and the staff were nice but there were a number of things that disappointed:

1. Trendiness
I've not stayed in a W Hotel before so this may be reflective of the brand rather than thin particular hotel but I'd found it tried way too hard to be modern and hip, yet missed the mark. I'm talking about little touches like placards saying things like "have a bite" that was placed beside snacks near the mini bar. When I saw this my impression was originally "oh wow that's nice" and then I realized there's a menu and it shows you how much you have to pay. There's lots of these little placards around and I didn't see the point of them....

2. Nothing is free
Ok ok... Put out peanuts, chocolates, biscuits whatever.... But those little placards telling you to eat them or drink them or use them.... Then showing the price of them, hmmm. There's even a price displayed for the umbrella amongst other things. And why is breakfast not complimentary? Ditto wifi?!

3. Location
Good for business... Not a great hotspot for tourists other than battery park, world trade centre and Wall Street which I think is easily achievable and better if you stay somewhere else and visit as a Half day trip.

4. Room size
Lastly.... The room size was tiny, rivaling the hotels I've stayed in Paris for space at a premium. My room barely contained the bed and a small space around it for calf stretching.

In all.... Adequate but not good nor poor, hence three stars

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Hello Dragsworthy,

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you experienced with some of our personal touches. We do want to provide an experience that is uniquely W. We regret that not all of it was to your liking. Please contact me directly at your convenience so that I can start on restoring your faith in our hotel.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

'Whatever Whenever' says the button on the phone. This perfectly describes the experience of staying in this hotel. The service is excellent. Nothing is too much trouble. We flew over from London for a leisure weekend and then a week's business trip and above-all needed a hotel that could make this busy trip go smoothly and relax us. They helped us move from another hotel that fell way below expectations. They took us to Central Park as part of their complimentary (yes, free) drop-off service. They gave us an incredible room with a view over-looking the WTC site (bit odd as a view but feels special to watch New York putting the area back together again). The bar is great. The facilities are great. The gym is brilliant. The atmosphere is special and luxurious without the pretentiousness of other places I've stayed. I will definitely come again and definitely recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Hi CHAND13R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. It was great reading about the wonderful time you had with us. We have shared your comments with our staff so that they can see how their actions impact our guests. We do hope to see you again in the future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We normally don't stay this far downtown but decided to because of the business that brought us back to New York. It is really a poor location for anything other than seeing the World Trade Center memorial. Also the hotel room was kind of beat up with lots of scuff marks on the wall.

The pros:
-Decent sized room for New York.
-pretty nice views because the hotel is on high levels
- swanky atmosphere and bar area typical of any W hotel I've encountered
-the bathroom was small but made of leather which was very different and kind of cool to see

The cons:
-Even with a do not disturb sign on we were disturbed 3 times! What's the point of the sign if housekeeping and the mini bar checkers do not respect it?!

-at check in there were three people at the desk but only one working. So we had to queue up in a long line with our heavy bags before being helped. I don't understand why everyone who works there is so inept and unhelpful.

- in the middle of the night there was some sort of alarm - so I called the front desk and they said they were aware of it and it would be taken care of soon. It wasn't for over an hour until like 4am. Unacceptable.

-the elevators are really noisy and almost every room on every possible floor centers around them. So you constantly hear the noise from guests waiting for the elevator as well as the noise from the machine.

-location is subpar if you're looking for a convenient place to experience what NYC has to offer

We will not be back.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank luxurylover86
Hi Luxurylove86,

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you experienced during your recent stay. this is certainly not the type of experience we strive to provide for our guests. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the matter further so that I can start on restoring your faith in our hotel.

Virginia
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We received an upgrade 'cause they didn't have enough King standard rooms. We were on the 16th floor overlooking Ground Zero. Spectacular. Lots of tourists, lots of cops, lots of activity for Bike New York, but the room and the view were outstanding.

One issue--baggage storage and car valet service was pretty bad. Not enough people doing it. One woman had her car ticketed when it was double-parked in front of the hotel after the valet parked it there. Apparently, they couldn't find some of her stored luggage. Talking to the cops about removing the ticket? You guessed it!

Room Tip: Request a view of Ground Zero
Hi WineLoverVirginia,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I am glad that you were pleased by the view in your room. Please accept our apologies for the issues with luggage storage and parking. I would be more than happy to discuss the matter to see how we can restore your confidence in us.