“Tries too hard to be "hip." Sacrifices service.”

W New York - Downtown
Ranked #259 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 20, 2013

First, let me prefice this review with stating that I am not a big fan of W Hotels to begin with. I do like al of the other Starwood properties. I travel to New York quite often for work but this time we combined vacation and booked the only Starwood property available, The W Downtown. The area is horrible. Very morbid view of the WTC. Aside from that unless you are 20 years old and like to party, you will find no comfort in the overwhelming "disco" atmosphere. They try too hard to keep you in the lounge and create a social scene. I'm not there for that. The music is too loud also. The service is sub par also. We asked for a rollaway bed before we arrived, when we arrived and while we stayed. It never appeared. Even though we were told that it would. This is after we were promised 2 beds and received one King. Don't even try their restaurant. Bad service, cold coffee, eggs are cold and runny. We didn't bother going back for any other meal. The only convenience is the WTC, Downtown shopping, Wall St, Statue of Liberty. The rest of New York is a subway and a couple of transfers away. Use the subway. With the work they are doing and the extra security, taxis have trouble getting around. This is not a bad review. Like I said, if you are into the social lobby scene, this is great. I just want to spend time in the city and not the lobby.

Room Tip: Rooms are very small. Not good for families.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Hello EM,

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you experienced. Please contact me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com so that I can start on restoring your faith in our hotel.

Wolfgang Wehen – General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,210)

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We managed to get a great last minute deal at 230/night, which is fantastic for NYC, and even more fantastic for a W. also, during booking, the booking engine crashes, so only one out of our two reservations went through. Once up again, the price had jumped $170/night. I contacted SPG Platinum chat, who again called the hotel, and they sorted out the bookings. Excellent service!

The hotel is located in the financial district, with plenty to see in the area. Brooklyn bridge is within walking distance. There are also plenty of subway stations within a few minutes.

We both got upgraded at checkin, and my room, as a Platinum was one of the huge Cool corner rooms overlooking World Trade Center. Very nice, but be aware that construction starts early in the morning.

The room itself was nice. A nice reading area by the window, as always a very comfortable W bed, iPhone charger, dock, huge munchie box and nice minibar. The interior was surprisingly light to be a W.

The bathroom however was disgusting. Housekeeping had not cleaned the toilet, and the seat had urine all over. The rest looked fine. Nice big shower with Bliss products.

The lobby/lounge/bar is very popular, and we really enjoyed it. Cool design, especially the ceiling. Great bartenders.

I would say for the price I paid, the value was ok. But not sure I would return.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Hello thorhansen,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your most recent experience with us. It is great to hear that the hotel, for the most part was to your liking. I apologize for the challenges you encountered in your bathroom. I am sorry to hear that you have no plans to stay again. Please contact me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com if you would like to discuss further.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Room didn't get cleaned first day or 3rd day. Staff asked if I had told them I wanted it cleaned! Carpet in hallways and in room needed better vacuuming every day. It feels shoddy and a bit dirty as carpets are never clean and baseboards and wallpaper is peeling.Didn't replace complimentary bottle of water any day of 4 day stay. Asked for more towels and didn't get them.Dirty glasses left out side door for 1.5 days.
Housekeeping needs huge improvement in both attitude and attention.

Food from Room Service and Breakfast is very good.
Beds are very comfortable and it was quiet if you get a room away from construction, Air conditioner no matter how it was adjusted was either off or way too strong/cold.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Hello MGS2013,

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you experienced with your room cleanliness. Please contact me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com so that I can start on restoring your faith in our hotel.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I booked it for Valentine's Day weekend, and the rate was so good that I was hesitant. I was honestly expecting horrid service or something, and I figured out what the something was the next morning...construction at the 9/11 Memorial site. I was on the 16th floor, and, although the view was great, the noise woke me up...at 8:00am, which is surprising that they were working since they can't seem to get the thing completed.

That aside, the hotel is wonderful! The staff was the best I have experienced in a W Hotel, which in my opinion, is often an IKEA that allows you to book an overnight stay. That is to say, it always looks chic, but they service never matches. The W Downtown - NY had the service to match during my stay. Sabrina at the front desk, James at the door, and several of the maids (I apologize for not catching their names) treated the property like a 4 star hotel.

The room, I booked an upgraded size room, was much bigger than I am used to seeing in NYC. The location is a short walk to the subway (Cortland St, if I recall), so it makes staying in the financial district convenient.

My recommendations: If you aren't afraid of high floors, book as high up as you can! The standard size room is sufficient, the upgraded room isn't really any bigger, so save the extra money for lunch.

Room Tip: Higher floors are a must!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Hi Cesar19,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us; and thank you for your kind words about our team. Please known that we have shared your comments with them for their efforts. If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

As with most W hotels this one is darkly lit. there were not enough lights in the room to really work in bright light but i do understand the W may be more for the younger crowd that doesn't necessarily work alot in their rooms! The lobby and bar are on the 5th floor which is differenct but the service of the bell and front desk were excellent. The bed and pillows are definitely good which is the main thing i care about when staying at a hotel. The rooms are small but that is normal for a new york hotel. The annoying thing for me was the lack of plugs (none actually) next to my bed to plug my blackberry/alarm. The plugs for the lights and alarm were built into the furniture and you couldn't unplug them to even put in your own. So i would say the hotel is average. Adding the plugs would have made it one rating higher for me. (excellent view of the 9/11 memorial site if your room faces that direction)

Room Tip: get a room that faces the 9/11 memorial site.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Hi ShaunB,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us; and thank you for noticing the hard work our team put in to ensuring you enjoy your stay. We are glad that our pillows add to your comfort. We have taken your suggestions and are working to correct them. If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

If you are staying downtown, this is a more 'hip' alternative to other staid, 'business' hotels in the area. Typical high level design of W Hotel's. Rooms have excellent view of the 9/11 Memorial site, and in close walking distance of the other sites of interest in the downtown area. Free coffee service in the morning, and excellent concierge staff, particularly Nicole. Only minor complaint is that sometimes the modern design theme is taken too far - hard to find on/off buttons on table lamps, and would also note that the frosted glass 'peek a boo' panel on the shower area also allows one to see you while utilizing the toilet, so be aware of that if you are staying in the room with another person.
Overall, a great and different choice of hotel in the downtown area, that makes for an enjoyable and memorable stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us; it certianlyt is good to know that th experience we are giving our guests is appreciated. We also appreciate your comments on our modern design. We have taken note of your suggestions. If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This hotel is well located, it is less than 1 block from subway and within walking distance of Battery park etc. The rooms are small but that can be said for most NY hotels, Bathroom is a good size. We had booked 2 rooms and had some issues getting checked in due to room availability, asked to come back in 60min but still not resolved, it took some further escalation before we finally got the 2nd room.

The front of house staff could take a lesson from the doormen who were always polite.

We ate in the restraunt on the night we arrives, food was goo and had a good atmosphere. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank seanpg
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Hello Seanpg,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.