“Great stay!”

W New York - Downtown
Ranked #243 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Great stay!”
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

We live in NYC and decided to shake things up and have a staycation downtown. This was a great choice. Great location close to many subway options. Room service food is delicious. We were upgraded to a spectacular room with a perfect view of ground zero. Service was above and beyond with everyone we encountered. I would highly recommend staying here if you are staying downtown. One of the coolest things is they offer free pick ups or drop offs in their Acura if you let them no ahead of time.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I booked my room a month before Hurrican Sandy hit and I was concerned because I had to stay in the downtown area near Battery Park City but the hotel remained closed until just before my arrival. (All of the other hotels in the area were closed as well.) The W website had a directly email for information and the general manager assured me that they would be open to welcome me. I arrived on what was their first day open after cleaning up after the storm and I have to say that they really had their operation going full-speed-ahead. I was greeted warmy by doormen/bellmen and registration was a breeze. I was in room 2107 without delay.

My room faced north and I looked upon the WTC/Freedom Town/9-11 Memorial site (see pics). By NYC standards the room was pretty roomy (if you've stayed in NYC before you know that even pricey hotels often have smaller than average rooms). The bed, as always, is comfortable and the design is very modern: zebra-pattern carpets, lizard-skin pattern bathroom tiles; it's just really cool interior design. Oh, bar area is really nice too, a number of my friends met up in the "Livingroom Bar" and had several rounds before dinner.

The bathroom is very bright and minimalist with a pocket door. Although I liked the bathroom, I think that someone with a lot of toiletries would be frustrated wtih the lack of counter space around the vanity. My room had no tub, just a glass enclosed shower stall with a frosted-glass wall separating the shower from the room.

A bottle of water is provided and a welcome box of small salted gourmet toffee. Robe, iron, hair dryer, and safe are all there. They also offer the Acura Experience but you must plan ahead a bit.

My only complaint is that my room was near the ice machine and what I think was a service door because I could hear the ice maker motor running from time to time and once at 3:10 a.m. a maintenance worker's press-to-talk phone volume while in the hallway was so loud that it woke me up.

I read others' reviews that complained about the entry/lobby/bell stand but I don't see what the problem is. I was greeted warmly and directed to take the elevator up to registration. Baggage hold is at the ground level so make it when you need to leave. Also, although I was facing the WTC construction site, I didn't have a problem sleeping to 9:00 a.m. every morning; yes, there was construction noise but it's NYC and there is always gong to be some noise. If guess if you're a really light sleeper, try a room facing south.

Kudos to the staff for getting things up and running so quickly while all of the other hotels in the immediate area were still recovering from the storm. (The Marriott next door was still pumping water out of the basement.)

Room Tip: North-facing rooms look down on the WTC construction site, if you're a light sleeper, this may b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank amz94102
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Hello amz94102,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. I am so happy to hear you very much enjoyed the hotel. We hope you’ll come back and visit us again soon! If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We were upgraded to a corner room which was huge compared to any other room I have stayed in in NYC. The beds are divine, so comfortable! We had been worried about being downtown and a but this location turned out to be perfect and we loved our stay here. We were unfortunate to be caught up in hurricane Sandy on the last day of our trip but the W group ensured we had accommodation in other hotels during our extended 8 day trip. I can't fault the service offered by the W and Starwood group in what was quite a stressful time for the whole city.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are very spacious and the room is filled with light which is quite a treat Manhatta...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Hello Kezmoz,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your most recent experience post Sandy with us. I am so happy to hear you very much enjoyed the hotel and your Cool Corner Room. We hope you’ll come back and visit us again soon! If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

Bloomfield, New Jersey
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed in the Cool corner room 1810 on the night of January the 26th. While the service at Check in was friendly and prompt, we found the room to be a lot smaller than the other W Hotels we had stayed in before (W Boston, Cool Corner in 2010 and the W New York, Wonderful Room in 2008 and 2006). The design of the rooms is stylish, but the color palette they use is uninspiring. It is basically all white, all the time. The size of the room certainly did not justify the premium over a regular room.

Unfortunately we also had one of the housekeeping staff enter our room about 2 hours before we were due to check out. This wouldn't have been an issue if not for the fact that she asked us directly when we stopped her from entering "When are you leaving?". Not what I would expect from a staff member in Starwood's premium hotel chain. We did bring this up with the staff at the front desk, who were apologetic and offered us SPG points as an apology which we did appreciate.

Unfortunately I can't recommend this hotel, it falls flat from the Boutique style hotels I've come to expect from W. Really, it felt like a chain where as the other W hotels i've stayed in before have felt unique and whimsical. Starwood, I'm not sure whats up with this particular hotel but you should probably take a longer look at the W New York Downtown.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rbrown81
Hello Rbrown81,

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you experienced during your recent stay with us, I apologize on behalf of the entire team! I am happy to hear that the service at check-in was friendly and prompt. Please contact me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com so that I can start on restoring your faith in our hotel.

Hyderabad, India
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Location - The W is located barely couple of blocks from the World Trade Centre. It has a beautiful view of this building from the rooms facing west. The WTC memorial is right across the street.

Access and Subway - The Cortland subway access is closed which is the closest to the hotel. The rector stop is the next closest and the WTC subway stop is reasonably close too. The entire area has construction going on and hence subway is the easiest mode of transport and cab access needs a short walk too.

Decor - I stayed for couple of nights in late Jan. The lobby is on the 5th floor and you need to take a lift to check-in. The check-in was smooth and I was given a room even when I was at the hotel by around 12 PM. The hotel has a trendy vibe as can be seen from the photographs at the hotel website. Weekend there is a DJ playing music in the bar lounge on the 5th floor and was quite a nice environment.

Room - The room is quite clean but is reasonably small. The interesting architectural design to improve the space occupancy in manhattan is to have all the rooms having windows on at least one side. It had a nice comfortable bed, working table, refrigerator, 42 inch flat tv and a shelf having storage space along with a combination lock.

Bath - The bath was quite spacious and was excellently furnished and had bliss bath products. The water pressure was slightly on the lower side but was quite acceptable. There were couple of bath robes which were very comfortable.

Internet - The Internet access is free only in the lobby and needs to be purchased.

Food - I did not try the food menu in the hotel and there is a BLT restaurant in the ground floor.

Summary - The hotel provided a decent rate in off season time of Jan (around $150). It has gorgeous views of WTC and is worth trying for folks willing to stay in downtown and willing to catch the subway.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hello Bramgopal,

I appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review; almost all of our guests look for insider information like this! Thank you for sharing your experience here at W New York – Downtown. We hope you’ll come back and visit us again soon! If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

Miami Beach
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I am happy to express that my stay at the W NYC - Downtown was quite a different experience from the last time I stayed last year. From the very moment I stepped out of my taxi, I was cheerfully greeted by the bell staff. The front was quite courteous and professional. The room service food quality is superior. My view of NYC was incredible. This is what I have come to expect at the Starwood Hotels...The manager emailed shortly after my posting to acknowledge my disappointment and reassured me that I would not be disappointed a second time. He was right and I commend him for his attention to detail and for replying. Keep up the great work and I will see again soon!!!

Room Tip: I liked view looking at the World Trade Center and at the Hudson River.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hello Slynsobe,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I am so happy to hear you very much enjoyed the hotel your second time around and that the service was flawless. We hope you’ll come back and visit us again soon! If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

Mount Dora, Florida
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The staff at the hotel gave us some of the best customer service we ever had from the moment we were there until we left. The hotel a great young and hip feel and made us feel like we were truly in NYC. Rooms were kind of small but expected that in NYC. The hotel had a DJ in the lobby in the evenings. The furniture was very modern and the beds very comfortable. Bathroom and shower were great as well. Hotel was close to subway which gave us access to the rest of the city. Hotel has a front row view of the 9/11 memorial. I would recommend to people traveling to NYC who are looking for a modern young hotel but remember you are paying top dollar to stay here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello WorldTraveler783,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience; what great insider information you provided; thanks for that! I am so happy to hear you liked everything about the hotel including the service. The team works hard to impress, and you noticed! We hope you’ll come back and visit us again soon! If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.