“Great, modern hotel”

Ranked #239 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great, modern hotel”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Got a fantastic deal for a 5 night stay at the W Downtown this October. The hotel is very modern, the bar wasn't our cup of tea, but the rooms and service were all brilliant throughout our stay and we don't have a bad word to say about the place.

Room Tip: If you can, get a corner room on a higher floor for great views of Manhattan.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here. Got a decent deal through Expedia, probably because it was a weekend. The rooms are pretty spacious for New York - nicely decorated, clean, comfy beds etc. Nothing remarkable about them, except for the view over Ground Zero, which is excellent. We did get a bit disturbed from the construction there, but nothing too bad. Not too keen on the bar area, which is like being in a nightclub, especially on a Fri/Sat night! You can barely even see the lift, as the lights are so low and the wave effect on the ceiling looks cool, but makes it difficult to see where you're going. Staff were pretty good and helpful. Overall very good, although I probably wouldn't stay this far downtown next time, as it's a bit far away from most of the bars, sightseeing, restaurants etc.

Room Tip: Rooms that don't overlook Ground Zero would be quieter
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank itrapnell
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I am writing this in appreciation of one of the staff at the W Hotel Downtown New York. While on a walking tour of lower Manhatten I was separated from the group and my husband. After a considerable time I became very distressed. I approached the doorman, Victor, to catch a cab. He was very friendly, calmed me down, took me inside for a refreshment, rang my hotel and got hold of my husband. He is a good ambassador for this hotel and his kindness to me is something I will never forget.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John T
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Be sure to request a room overlooking the World Trade Center Memorial - the view is incredible and showcases New York and the USA's response to 9/11. The hotel immaculate and the lounge on the 5th floor offers the best views is the Memorial. If possible - book the package that includes cocktails and an appetizer. The value of the package is easily $70+ for a couple of glasses of wine and a first class and generously sized appetizer. Also, go to the Highline (nearby) and Eataly (Batsli's fresh market and restaurant emporium). Hopefully the hotel weathered Sandy - Godspeed NYC and the Northeast! We look forward to returning soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the WTC
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I fully appreciate the extreme weather that NY has faced this week and it was not entirely surprising that the W NY Downtown should be closed.
However what has shocked me has been the complete disregard the hotel has had for its guests:
Over the past 48 hours i have received numerous conflicting emails from the W and Starwood Preferred Guest services stating that the hotel was both open and closed. Finally this evening I have found out that the hotel is indeed closed and will remain so for the rest of the week and that i should make alternative arrangements at my own expense.

The hotel has said that it would refund the cost of my booking, but that it would not arrange replacement accommodation. Clearly, since the storm hotel costs have sky rocketed but the hotel and the Starwood group feels that it has no duty of care to its guests in this regard.

I have found alternative accommodation which will cost me an additional ca. $500 which the Starwood group has managed to extract from the sorry situation that New York finds itself.

Poor show to profit from such circumstances i feel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AJRUK1
alyskie, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
We sincerely apologize for your experience. Due to the effects of Hurricane Sandy, and the location of our hotel within the evacuation zone, we have been unable to accept guests. Our team has been working hard around the clock to ameliorate the situation to the best of our ability. Without power and phone service, communication has been difficult. We contacted and relocated as many guests as feasible to other hotels in Manhattan that did not lose power. We continue to work diligently to have our hotel up and running again as soon as possible. We are very sorry for the miscommunication and frustration you have experienced. Please reach out to me directly at GMWolfWehen@whotels.com to further resolve your situation.
Plantation, Florida
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We asked for a double as a friend was joining us later in the stay. Super VIEW, SUPER people, Very young vibe, first time I felt "old" as a traveler, when the DJ music was blasting at check in! :)
Nice rooms, bigger than the W Lexington. As always the BLISS products were awesome. The W at 57 has a spa! None here. But the view on the fifth floor overlooking the Freedom tower is Awesome!Q A++++++++++ And the bar staff are super too! On the fifth floor!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mechanicsville, VA
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The service was great, really like the location, beds were comfortable and the bathroom was fine. I was 'upgraded' to a room with double beds when I requested a king, but that's not a huge deal to me. Great views of the WTC site and I didn't hear construction noise....though I could hear the room next to me.

The place was just a bit too trendy for me. After a long day of traveling and meeting with colleagues, I don't want to walk into the lobby of the hotel at 9pm and be assaulted by a DJ playing loud music and have to, essentially, walk through a club /bar to get to the elevators. I realize I'm probably not in the target demographic for this hotel, but I just found it far too much like a nightclub and less like a hotel where I was paying 500/night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business