“Its Okay!”

Ranked #245 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Shanghai, China
“Its Okay!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We enjoyed 5 days in NYC to see friends, tour the city, and enjoy food.... The W was a bit of a surprise after our last year living in SPG hotels in Asia. The staff was nice, helpful, the room was nice but small, location was hard to get to and from, and the hotel lacked the servies we have grown accustom to enjoying in Asia. Its not bad just not great.... W is a party place not a work or service oriented hotel.... We enjoy the BLD in Hong Kong a great deal but found the BLD within the hotel very expensive and not worth the effort and found going outside better food worth the pricing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Hello,

I wish we had had the opportunity to discuss this while you were here as I am concerned about your experience. Please email me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com so that you can tell me more.

Wolfgang Wehen – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 15, 2012

First, a general comment about Starwood: (not really reflective of this hotel)
I have gold status and like the spg program, however, its pretty confusing to navigate. Any time I call the hotel, call starwood, or do an online chat with starwood, I am given different information, usually conflicting, with varying degrees of friendliness. I think the people that work in these different areas are confused, and it is obvious. Part of the problem is that when you try and book a room through the W website, starwood website, or starwood ap (calling the hotel directly seems to get a less desired rate) there are different packages available. So my overall advice with Starwood is shop around their different various websites and don't take one person's word for it when they tell you something. I was told by multiple people my room was prepaid and could not be changed, even though my confirmation said otherwise. In the end, I had no problem making those changes, but i wish i didn't have to go through the hassle.

Some of this is relevant to my stay at the W, because the front desk person did not understand the package that was booked, and then when I got my invoice, I had to call and go back to the front desk to get the charges taken off. This is really a minor inconvenience but it goes back to my earlier point of general ignorance so I am sure it happens on a systematic basis. That said, they fixed my bill, but why deal with this at a luxury hotel brand? A wise man once said " details, gentlemen" they really do matter.

Ok, on to the hotel, I felt that I got good value, package included a couple drinks and an Amex gift card. The room was REALLY small....I am local, so I get the whole NY real estate thing, but cool corner is advertised as >300 sq ft. My first NYC apartment was 600 square feet, so I'm calling BS on that...other than that, the bed was super comfortable, the shower was great, nice bathrobes, and it was a nice room. Living room bartender Trevor was friendly as all staff we encountered were. The location is a little weird, I mean, its FiDi, so there is easy access to Tribeca/SoHo and battery park. I noticed alot of out of towners love it there because of the whole world trade center thing which seems really bizarre. I didn't want to stay in midtown, and because of the close proximity to downtown neighborhoods, and the room rate, can't really complain about the location.

I was there for one night with my wife as a night away from our daughter for my birthday, so the size of the room was pretty inconsequential. I am not sure how expensive the room would have to get in order to be large enough to accommodate families, although I always find it strange when families stay at W's--they are not really geared towards families (i know every W hotel manager would probably dispute that though)

It has an ok gym too, workable to get a little done while you are there, but it is more of an afterthought.

Overall, be aware of the location and if its what you want. The rooms are great, but very small.
Friendly and professional staff. Very reasonable prices for NYC (even considering the room size) If you have business in FiDi, its probably a good place to stay, although might be worth checking out the prices at the Ritz too. I would stay again with my wife, but if I were to come back with kids, I think i would want to stay more uptown.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank adambr14
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Hello,

I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our ideal location however in reading your comments I see you did experience some challenges with your SPG booking and the communication on arrival with the package you booked. I'm terribly sorry to hear this and please allow me to apologize on behalf of the entire team! Please contact me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com so that I can start on restoring your faith in our hotel, Starwood, and SPG.

Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Perfect spot in NYC with a classy bar literally overlooking Ground Zero and the new towers. Service is like that which you can usually only find in Asian hotels where the staff actually cares about the guests. Walk to everything the tip of Manhattan has to offer. Or just seconds to a Subway entrance

• Stayed September 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night, quiet room, much quieter than mud-town hotels for sleeping. It is annoying W's have pay in-room wifi. But I applaud the recycling program. I hope to return soon. Great shower. Large room and bath for NYC. Seating in Living Room lounge was not comfortable, but LED lights in room were great. I liked the energy saving elements in the room that turned off power when you left the room.

• Stayed October 2012
Mumbai
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The staff at this hotel is not to be trusted so remember to use the safe provided in the room for your valuables.

Let me first start with the positives since the list is pretty small. Proximity to downtown if thats where your work is and to the WTC memorial. You can actually see the memorial from some of the rooms. Close to discount shopping at century 21. Ok thats where the positives stop.

Negatives - lets start with staff honesty. Bunch of thieves. I had my iPad stolen from my room and let alone an apology from the hotel they wouldn't even acknowledge the theft. Head of security Bill Masterson had no concern about the theft (I hope they fire him) and refused to return my calls. Only after numerous attempts did I get an update. So please folks use the in room safe for your valuables at this hotel, I didn't and I paid the price for it. Another big negative Construction noise. The location is in the middle of a construction zone and its going to be that way until 2015 so avoid this hotel for the next 3 years if you can. Its so out of the way that their bar/lounge is never packed you will get a smattering of after work crowd but it peters out after 8pm.

So all in all this hotel is to be avoided not a W by any measure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Manish H
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Hello

Thank you for your feedback and again we truly apologize for the challenges experienced. I trust you understand how seriously we take comments from our guests. Their safety, as well as that of their belongings, is of the utmost importance to us. Following our conversation last week, we believe this situation has been resolved to your satisfaction. If you have any questions, or need further assistance, please reach out to me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My stay at the W hotel downtown New York...was great...beautiful hotel...excellent location...busy yet not like time square....our room over looked the World Trade Center exhibit..very modern and clean rooms...alittle small..but we made due! Great staff...my only compliant is that we receive horrible service from the staff in the lounge..bartenters was horrible and made our second round of drinks in the same glasses and reuse the same garnish(there were three of us...so who knows which glass belong to who)......we complained to the manager...however didn't let it ruin any part of our trip.....overall an awesome hotel....and I would return...when visiting New York.....be ready to shell out BIG bucks to stay here though....

Room Tip: Pay the extra money to get the lounge package "complimentary drinks and appetizers each night&q...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SoloDiva
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. I would be happy to discuss your recent service chellenges in our Lounge further with you so please reach out to me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Large rooms, the friendliest staff I have encountered in quite some time. The bellman took me from the cab to check in, to my room and showed me all there was to see in the guestroom. large closet, floor length mirror, impecable Insiders, the outdoor terrace is gorgeous. You feel special when you are staying with W Downtown. The acura service starting at 8am is a reason alone to stay here.

Room Tip: spectacular room high up.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business