“Very modern and comfortable”

W New York - Downtown
Ranked #241 of 466 Hotels in New York City
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Very modern and comfortable”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This property is beautiful - great views of the WTC site and a very stylish lobby. The lobby, while very cool, can feel a little crowded and loud.

The customer service is not attentive. When I arrived I stood at the desk for a while before anyone came over. I think the staff was watching a youtube video or looking at something on the internet - they were all crowded around one computer and didn't notice that I was standing there for a while. Also, I was overcharged on my hotel folio. I sent an email to the GM's email address as instructed on the folio, but I got no response.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank StateAndMain
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Hello

I'm terribly sorry to hear this; it is very disappointing to hear the challenges you have experienced with the inattentive welcome desk agents and reaching our finance team to resolve your billing inquiries. I would be happy to discuss this further with you and assist to the best of my capabilities so please feel free to reach out to me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

Wolfgang Wehen – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Hampshire
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I'm currently staying in the W Downtown (September 15, 2012). Here are some factual observations.

1. Upon check in: i) the sheets on the bed were stained, ii) one bath towel had someone else's hair all over it, iii) another bath towel was stained with a brownish substance, iv) the carpet by the door is stained with some white substance, and v) the cabinet door to the minbar is broken and half-hanging on by one hinge. This may be a relatively new hotel, but it doesn't seem like it.

2. The rooms themselves are fine. Not overly large, but I've seen a lot smaller. The design of the room is really futuristic (even for a W).

3. Room service came pretty quickly (within 20 minutes of ordering).

4. The gym is useable, but sub par for a hotel.

5. Internet is $15/day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank tacostuff
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Hello,

I'm terribly sorry to hear this let me apologize for that also in the name of my entire team! Please contact me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com so that I can start on restoring your faith in our hotel.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I love this hotel! It is WONDERFUL! The staff was very nice and the hotel is in a great location. I had a fabulous room on a high floor that looks out into the 9/11 memorial. The hotel is very trendy and chic and the outdoor terrace is amazing! The rooms are spacious and the beds are very comfy! They include sound machines which was great especially if you need calming white noise to sleep! Would definitely return. Only drawback is that the nightly rates are so expensive!

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank KarenL4u
Scotland
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Wonderful hotel..Wonderful Room..Wonderful staff..My room on 11th floor overlooked the memorial site - comfiest bed i have ever slept in..views are beautiful..Can't fault my 4 night stay..Thank you W!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank sbass68
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2012

If you are visiting 9/11 memorial, this is a perfect hotel to stay in. The hotel faces the entrance to the memorial and be sure to sip at the lobby bar or even better, the outdoor balcony for a superb view of One WTC and the other upcoming WTC towers. Inspite of the the on going construction (which doesn't really bother me) the area is bustling with tourist and within minutes of Soho and lower east side. The WTC subway station is minutes away nearby century 21, or the Lexington line is a couple of blocks on broadway. The 5 th floor lobby is ideal and feels isolated from the main tourist traffic and 9/11 memorial crowd, unlike the other nearby hotels. The wonderful/spectacular rooms are fairly designed and seems normal with enclosed bathroom unlike some of the other Ws. We had a corner room facing south east. The service is just about average and somewhat 'cold' at the front desk, but that didn't really bother me since I'm not a high demanding guest and don't expect too much in terms of service and attention. However, some may find it to be rude and unattentive. At night, ther area tend to be on a quiet side after the memorial closes. Nevertheless, you could gawk at the brightly lighted 1WTC tower from the lobby bar balcony. The lobby has a good selection of costly drinks and nibbles. we we fortunate to have a package deal which offered complimentary drinks. Heading out to nearby soho is about a 15-20 min walk or a short subway ride. I give this 5* Just for the location and property but 4 * for the service. Would consider staying here again when in NYC. Note: if visiting the memorial , make sure to reserve free online tickets for designated time slot entry to the memorial.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank cad_world_traveller
Denmark, Australia
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Sometimes of the day, the front of the hotel is almost blocked by tourists visiting nearby attractions. When I arrive there was no way we can park and I had to be offloaded a block away. In the evening when I have to get a taxi it was impossible no cabs and the hotel not have a bellman service!!! My room was very dirty, battery capsuled on the phone was broken, bathroom not maintained. Turndown was very quick and they often missed things such as washcloths and bath amenities. Room service and bar/restaurant was sloppy. At breakfast they forgot to serve my tea and they wanted to charge me. Death banana fly in my white wine at lunch. Room service delivered still instead of sparkling water. My minibar in the room was not refilled during my stay and its was not refresh before my arrival. A lot of noise from the A/C installed on roof at neighbour building!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Hello,

I am very sorry about your stay and let me apologize to you. I wish we would have had the opportunity to discuss your challenges while you were at the hotel, as I am concerned about your experience. Please email me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com in order to discuss your review. This is certainly not a reflection of the level of service, we like to achieve daily.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My wife and I traveled to New York for our 20th wedding anniversary. What could have been a disaster [having to leave home 2 days early because of Hurricane Issac] was enhanced by the staff of this wonderful hotel. From the doorman, with great directions, to the upgrade to a corner room at check-in and the gift from the manager, everyone was sensational. After 5 days and 4 nights in NYC, 2 days at the US Tennis Open, 2 plays, we returned to Atlanta for our 7 1/2 hour drive home to a yard full of limbs and an empty refrigerator [no electricity for 4 days] and discovered that my wife had left her earrings in our room. Not to worry, they had been turned into security and were FEDX'd in response to her call.
Besides the incredible staff, the room was gorgeous, the view of the WTC site was excellent, the restaurant was tasty and we both loved our stay.

Room Tip: Request a high corner room