“Vibrant downtown hotel”

Ranked #245 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Philadelphia
“Vibrant downtown hotel”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I stayed here once and loved it. Room rate was cheaper than most hotels in its category. The girl who checked me in was very pleasant and checked me in fast. The lobby is gorgeous and the outdoor balcony is nice. Elevators are like works of art. My room was a corner one, with lots of windows, which I LOVE! It was spacious. The bathroom was cool and the shower is very large. There's a lot of storage space and the television has Showtime and HBO, so I was able to watch my favorite series! Of coarse the bed is like any other W bed and the robes were too. Cool thing about this hotel is that you must leave your key in a pocket at the door to turn the lights on. The idea is great. You only have to wave your key near the door also to open it which makes it much easier to get in when you have bags in your hands. There is a free coffee, tea, breakfast thing in the morning near the concierge desk, but of coarse I missed it because I didn't wake up until 11. This place is great, especially for the price. Location is great if you have to be in the Soho or meatpacking area during your stay. I will be back!!

Room Tip: Corner units are ALL windows!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We stayed here in mid-September. If noise is an issue, ask about what side of the hotel your room is on. Our room faced the Ground Zero construction site (which was very sad to look at, because it constantly reminded us of the great tragedy there). Construction goes on 24 hours a day. That's right, they run that pile driver all night. Other than that, the room was contemporary and nice. The bar/lounge/lobby area was very comfortable. Again, if you're looking for something low-key, this is not it; they have a DJ in the lounge most afternoons/evenings. The concierge gave us some excellent suggestions for a cool bar and great Chinese restaurant.

Room Tip: Anything that DOESN'T face the construction.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience with us. You’ve made some very valid points regarding the construction noise from the WTC Memorial Site, and we certainly appreciate your feedback. We do have additional rooms located in the back of the hotel looking away from the construction should you choose to visit us in the future. I would be happy to discuss this further with you so please feel free to reach out to me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com. I do hope you were able to enjoy other aspects of your time in the Big Apple and that you’ll give us another chance!

Best Personal Regards,
Wolfgang Wehen – General Manager
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We stayed here Sept 15-18, 2011. The hotel is in a good location. Is is right beside the WTC area. The hotel terrace overlooks current construction going on at Ground Zero. This may be a plus or minus, depending on how you look at it. We thought it was really neat to see this in progress and the construction noise didn't bother us, although you could definitely hear it all through the night (just didn't bother us). After all WTC construction is complete, the view will be amazing. The hotel sits just south, so rooms on the north side would give the best views of WTC. The hotel is right around the corner from the Rector St. train (lines 1 & R). It's easy to get around the financial district on foot and midtown Manhattan is very accessible via the Rector St. trains. The area seemed very safe and there were plenty of small restaurants nearby. There are delis and cafes and pizza places unique to NYC and a Burger King, Starbucks and Subway all just a short walk from the hotel. If you are visiting The Statue of Liberty from Battery Park, the ferry station is also a very short walk from the hotel. It would probably take longer to take the train.

The hotel's BLT Grill has very good food but it's very expensive. We ate there one night and our bill for two ran about $140. The food was VERY GOOD. The service was not great. The waiters were friendly enough, just seemed to be overworked/busy and our food took forever, glasses were not filled, I received a white wine when I ordered a red, etc.

The hotel's interior is very artsy in a youthful contemporary way. A lot of attention to detail is given. When you enter the elevator, the floor mat will say GOOD MORNING in the morning, GOOD AFTERNOON in the afternoon and GOOD EVENING at night. The rooms also looked as if they were designed by an art student. I was pleased with the look and everything was very clean. The room was EXTREMELY small. That was fine with us. There were two of us and with a king size bed, we had just enough walking space for luggage. Speaking of the bed, it was VERY COMFORTABLE. It was probably the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever experienced! I liked the down pillows and comforter. There were marks on the wall as I've seen in several reviews. The hotel is very new and it did look older than it is. I have 2 small kids and have lived where I do 10 years and my walls are less marred. So, they probably should give the rooms a new paint job. There were two things that bothered me about the room. One was, the bathroom door (which was a sliding door) required TWO PEOPLE to close it and it was only with great effort at that. Another issue I had was that there is a red light which stays on in the closet. It looks really cool when you open it HOWEVER, at night, when your lights are off, you can see a little light coming out of the closet. That was a little annoying/distracting. Other than that, it was nice and comfortable and seemed safe, just not as new looking as it should look and small. By the way, the bathroom was a decent size, it was only the bedroom that was micro.

One more thing I'll add... You can get internet access for your room for about $15/night. We wanted that but didn't realize, it was not $15 for the whole hotel room but for every single device we had on the internet. We had a laptop, an iPad, a GPS device and an iPad Touch and we accessed the internet with all 4 devices which cost us $60/night - ugg. So, watch out for that.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank karyn m
london
Reviewed September 17, 2011

An enjoyable stay for our family of four with pre teen kids. Not really a family hotel but v cool and rock n roll. We all liked it. Great rooms, service. Not a very big hotel. Reception on 5th floor. Complimentary taxi to uptown whilst we stayed. Complimentary coffee and wi fi in lobby. Location is a little away from the hustle and bustle of 5th ave and time sq. But we liked that. It's virtually on wall St, near the ferry terminal for station island and statue of liberty. Plus you can explore all the places in between downtown and central park. great stay overall.

• Stayed August 2011
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Half of the Downtown W overlooks the WTC site. Great views of the entire site. Unfortunately with construction going 24x7 you can also get the sounds and lights. I still recommend this property - if you like the W ambiance, you will like this hotel. Relatively new property. Great location for the financial district.

Room Tip: Avoid the WTC side if you want quiet. Ask for the WTC side if you want the view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The W is directly across from and overlooks the construction site for the Ground Zero memorial. You've likely seen news coverage (esp. NBC) where the news anchors were on a glass-fronted balcony perched above the site - that's the W. My room was a typical W - lots of white but very nicely sized for Manhattan. The bar on the lobby level looked like a typical meat market - it was dark and difficult to get an order. I finally gave up! The outside bar would have been perfect but it closed way-y-y-y-y too early. The concierge staff was very helpful and the Acura Experience free car service to deliver you to your appointments was much appreciated.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Omaha, NE
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed at the W NYC Downtown one weekend in April 2011. I love the W Hotels so I always make sure to stay at a W if the city has one because the W Hotels are not your ordinary hotel. The lobby is not on the ground level, it's up on the 5th floor where the bar is located at. This hotel is right across the street from the 9/11 memorial and they have a balcony that you can view the site at your sit and have some drinks late at night outside. The bed was comfy, the view from my room was fantastic. I only had 4 issues, (1) the bathroom lighting was not the best when I went to put on my makeup; after my stay, I did notify the hotel of the bathroom issue. They are aware that the lighting is not that great and said they would look at how to make things better for the femal guests (2) my safe was not working so make sure your safe is working or ask for another room; (3) my last issue was the Friday night really late, a couple of the guests were really loud from their room so it was hard to get any sleep that one night; (4), I went to use their internet system to log onto my computer, I had trouble getting to my email account to check my flight information and no matter what I did I could not get to the website and I still got charged for it. Very frustrating so don't use their internet service unless you absolutely have to.

The staff was friendly and always had a smile on their face, very helpful. This hotel is within walking distance of the Statue of Liberty and the financial district. There is a Starbucks around the corner. The hotel food was not that bad, but since this is NYC go out and find a nice restaurant to eat at. Since I didn't do alot of sight seeing, the hotel restaurants are pretty good and if you need a taxi, the bellhops will grab you one immediately.

Again, I do love the W Hotels so I would always recommend a W Hotel and you can always buy the W products that are in your hotel room.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo