“Can't beat the site - can beat the bar scene”

W New York - Downtown
Ranked #269 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The W is directly across from and overlooks the construction site for the Ground Zero memorial. You've likely seen news coverage (esp. NBC) where the news anchors were on a glass-fronted balcony perched above the site - that's the W. My room was a typical W - lots of white but very nicely sized for Manhattan. The bar on the lobby level looked like a typical meat market - it was dark and difficult to get an order. I finally gave up! The outside bar would have been perfect but it closed way-y-y-y-y too early. The concierge staff was very helpful and the Acura Experience free car service to deliver you to your appointments was much appreciated.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,217)

Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed at the W NYC Downtown one weekend in April 2011. I love the W Hotels so I always make sure to stay at a W if the city has one because the W Hotels are not your ordinary hotel. The lobby is not on the ground level, it's up on the 5th floor where the bar is located at. This hotel is right across the street from the 9/11 memorial and they have a balcony that you can view the site at your sit and have some drinks late at night outside. The bed was comfy, the view from my room was fantastic. I only had 4 issues, (1) the bathroom lighting was not the best when I went to put on my makeup; after my stay, I did notify the hotel of the bathroom issue. They are aware that the lighting is not that great and said they would look at how to make things better for the femal guests (2) my safe was not working so make sure your safe is working or ask for another room; (3) my last issue was the Friday night really late, a couple of the guests were really loud from their room so it was hard to get any sleep that one night; (4), I went to use their internet system to log onto my computer, I had trouble getting to my email account to check my flight information and no matter what I did I could not get to the website and I still got charged for it. Very frustrating so don't use their internet service unless you absolutely have to.

The staff was friendly and always had a smile on their face, very helpful. This hotel is within walking distance of the Statue of Liberty and the financial district. There is a Starbucks around the corner. The hotel food was not that bad, but since this is NYC go out and find a nice restaurant to eat at. Since I didn't do alot of sight seeing, the hotel restaurants are pretty good and if you need a taxi, the bellhops will grab you one immediately.

Again, I do love the W Hotels so I would always recommend a W Hotel and you can always buy the W products that are in your hotel room.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Perfect location in NYC. Great condition to travel with pet. Free wi-fi for SPG guests huge +

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2011

I was very excited to be staying at a W, as I am a huge Starwoods fan and have stayed at the W in Midtown and had a wonderful experience. Unfortuently, I was very disappointed with what I saw at the Downtown location. I was upgraded to a corner room on the 8th floor - not a great view. The room was small, and there were black scuff marks on ALL of the walls. While I realize that travelers have suitcases and are not always careful with the rooms - the W is a luxury hotel chain and they should at least attempt to fix things like this. I also had a few additional quams with my stay - no full length mirror, the door to the bathroom was a "pocket-door", the hair dryer was old and didnt work very well - no ear-swabs/cottenballs on the sink - again if this was a Sheraton or an Element - I would have been satisfied with my stay - but this is a W - when I'm paying for a superior experience - I expect more.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I stayed here on a combination business/pleasure trip. I had never stayed at a W before although have stayed at many Starwood properties before. This hotel is not for everyone but it is for alot of people, myself included. It is in the financial district so there is not alot going on in the general area for tourists, but if you are a tourist and are aware of that, then you will have no problem.
You will need to take the elevator up to get to the check in area and then another set of elevators to get to the rooms. The hotel is entirely non smoking and has great views from some of the rooms, especially of the Ground Zero and memorial area. The fitness center was well appointed and I had it to myself most of the time.
The rooms are bright and well appointed with ammenities for both business and pleasure. For example. there was candy from Dylan's but also highlighters in the desk should I need them. I was upgraded to a Corner Cool room which means I had wrap around windows. The room is really not different from other rooms.
This hotel is definately not traditional so therefore, not for everyone however if you like Ws and something a bit different and are aware you are in the Financial District, then you will like this hotel. I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed here last week for one night. As a Plat, I wasn't upgraded upon check-in, though when I asked I was given a cool-corner room, which was very nice. A couple of quick thoughts: It's a very nice property and all very new. The staff was very friendly. I booked the $50 food and beverage credit rate and upon check-in they didn't even mention it??? When I went down and asked they acted as if they were surprised and said 'OK, you have credit.' Gee, thanks...As for location, this is directly across from the WTC, for better or worse. Great location for the financial district, but not if you plan on shopping or seeing shows. It's a very quiet neighborhood, with the exception of the construction...The bar is great and literally hangs over Ground Zero, which is kind of cool and creepy...Overall, a very cool and nice hotel.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2011

This is a great hotel if you are working downtown or doing business at one of the World Financial Buildings. I enjoyed the room amenities and great service at the hotel. This W surely meets the trendiness you expect to receive at a W. The only drawback of staying at the hotel was the noise throughout the night. I know it is not the hotels fault, but even on the 19th floor I could still hear the construction down below throughout the night.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business