“Had higher expectations for the W”

W New York - Downtown
Ranked #239 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 15, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the W for the weekend. We booked the reservation through hotwire. The staff was friendly when we arrived. They accommodated my request for a south facing room to avoid the WTC construction. The room, a corner room, which I think is supposedly a bit bigger than their average room still seemed small even for NY standards. Even though the hotel is new, there was something about it that just didn't quite meet my expectations for a 4.5 star. There were pencil markings on the wall, looked like lines drawn for leveling the headboard I guess from when the bed was installed. There were a few patches on the wall, the room and the pillows had a light odor..like there had been a wet dog there before or someone had smoked in it.

The location, while I knew it was not a lively area I did not realize it would be as sleepy as it was. A bit of hike to the areas North (the Village) where the vibe is a little more exciting and there are interesting places to shop, eat and drink. I never ate or drank at the hotel but I did try to get a drink of water from the bar when we got home Saturday night (12:00/12:30ish) but it was closed. I asked the front desk if I could get some water or if there was a vending machine. I was informed that there was no vending machine but that there was some place on each floor that dispensed water, I found the ice maker, but not the water [maybe I misunderstood]. Water was available in the room for a $8 bottle but I was unwilling to fork over that much mula for H2O.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 14, 2011

Positives-good location for downtown business, good value for money for NY, very friendly staff. Negatives-interior is in dire need of an upgrade; it is dated and feels run down. If you decided to stay at the hotel, ask for a room away from the elevators, it gets noisy in the early hours of the morning as people return from their night out.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We were extremely disappointed in our stay at the W New York Downtown.

We were two adults and two children ages 7 and 9 and we had booked for two double beds and when we arrived after several hours of driving, we are informed that this is not possible because there is no room available with two beds.

They proposed a room with a king size bed. We refuse and demand two beds. After several minutes with the clerk at the reception, she proposes the addition of a rollaway bed for our two daughters. I ask for another one and we were told that this is impossible because there is not enough space. The bed provided is clearly inadequate to sleep two (even if they are children). At the reception desk, no way to have the service and the clerk is eager to serve other customers.

I will not hesitate to post on every forum possible my disappointment and poor quality of service received at the Hotel W. I travel a lot, I have many friends who travel and I have friends that own travel agencies. I will recommend to all not to encourage stays in this hotel chain.

Richard Bélanger
Angry customer

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Richard B
Reviewed August 4, 2011

The new W downtown will have amazing views when the freedom tower is finished but for now it is next to a construction site with all the dust and noice thta conveys. Like other W's you take the elevator up to reception. The rooms are typical in that they are comfortable but kind of small. There is a BLTSteak in this hotel and while the food was pretty good it was expensive and there are far better steakhouses downtown. My overriding sense was the hotel was still on its maiden voyage and was working out the kinks. I am sure given time thta this property will meet the standards the brand usually delivers

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank SSfamily
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My wife and I stayed here our wedding night and the next night in NYC. First off, the second day we stayed there, the elevator we were in did not accept our room key so we went to the front desk only to have the woman at the desk try to convince us that we weren't staying at the hotel! We spent 30 minutes trying to tell her that it was our second day there and all of our stuff was in our room! She would not listen to us and was very rude. Finally somehow she decided to contact a manager who then made us aware that the elevator was not working properly and that you had to swipe the card, then press the button on the opposite side of the elevator in order for it to work properly. After this ordeal we received no apology. Another frustrating part of our stay was the facT that nobody EVER answered the phone when we would call from our room! I've NEVER been to a hotel where they don't answer after a few rings, let alone don't answer at all!!! We had a problem with the TV in our room and not only did my wife have to come downstairs because nobody would answer the phone, but it took 45 minutes for someone to come fix the TV! On top of all this, the day after our wedding we're laying in bed and a window washer on a scaffold stops at our window and stares at us in bed!!! We couldn't believe that even on a high floor we had no privacy in the room! For the money that we prepaid for the room I couldn't believe that we were treated so rudely by the whole staff. Not one person congratulated us for being married or said anything even remotely nice to us, maybe this is the attitude of the hotel but we couldn't believe how unbelievably rude everyone was. When we checked out the gentleman working the front desk didn't say one word to us, he just handed me a receipt. I had to ask if everything was OK because he wouldn't even speak to us! I hope something is done about this staff because we've stayed in many hotels and have NEVER had an experience this bad.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TChristy
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I stayed at the W New York– Downtown while visiting the city in July 2011. This is an acceptable hotel (though not a credit to the W brand), but I would be unlikely to return to this property.

The front desk staff was enthusiastic and helpful at check-in, and once someone arrived at the front desk, he was very efficient at check-out, as well. We were generally greeted by the doormen at the hotel entrance. The fifth-floor lobby of the hotel is a cool appealing and whimsical design, though fairly dark. The shower was the best I have had in a W hotel (combining aspects of the rainfall shower without the anaemic water pressure). Other reviewers have noted noise issues at this hotel, but my room was very quiet. Glimpses of the river could be caught between buildings from the room. These were the high points of our experience at the hotel.

Other aspects of the hotel were somewhat disappointing.

The room was quite small (even by New York standards), and it should probably have been outfitted with a Queen instead of a King bed. Even with the corner room’s windows (one of which was able to open), it felt very cramped and probably ill-suited for more than one person. The pocket door on the bathroom seemed cheap, but it is unclear whether there would have been clearance for a proper door. Despite having been booked directly through Starwood, this had the feel of the rooms I would get at the Grand Hyatt in New York when I booked through Hotwire/Expedia as a student.

At less than one year old, the room in which I stayed was not wearing well. The white walls were scuffed in various places, and there were obvious patches that had been made. There were a couple of drips of water coming out from between the panels underneath the sink. In addition, while the room size is not an issue that can be overcome, I would have expected the room to be slightly cleaner, as there was visible dust in several places when I arrived (including on the mini-bar snack tray items). I was also disappointed that the terrace off of the lobby was closed when I tried to go out in the afternoon and that none of the staff in the area offered any assistance (or even telling us that it was closed) as we tried multiple doors. Finally, this is the first W at which I have stayed where I was overwhelmed by the brand’s signature scent. A friend and I had to literally hold our breath in the elevator from the street level to the lobby at one point. None of these were enough to ruin my stay, but there are certainly better hotels in the area. I expect better of this brand.

In this area of Lower Manhattan, I have previously stayed at the Ritz Carlton Battery Park and the Millennium Hilton, and I would recommend the former if you can get a decent rate (it is a couple of blocks further south, but its rooms are quite large with harbour views and telescopes for looking at the Statue of Liberty). I am not normally a huge fan of staying off the island when visiting New York, but given the proximity and convenience of the PATH station (both to the World Trade Centre and the hotel in New Jersey), SPG members needing to be in Lower Manhattan should seriously consider the excellent W Hoboken.

The hotel is located across the street from the site of the World Trade Centre. Once the pavilion opens, it will be easier to get around this area (including to the PATH station on the other side). There seemed to be a shortage of taxis on the hotel’s street, but they can be more easily found a couple of blocks to the east. There is a Starbucks across the street from the hotel, and we went to Tribeca to eat because there are not very many options in the immediate vicinity of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Just a quick review for now, while I am kept awake in my room that is above the lounge. Unbelievable that they would put a family in this room (especially one that is a rewards member of their program). The noise is so loud - we are hearing both the din of people and the music. This room should be used for young "hip" people that won't be in their rooms until later. NOT RECOMMENDED if you want a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: July 2011