“Still "W"orking it out”

W New York - Downtown
Ranked #260 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 4, 2011

The new W downtown will have amazing views when the freedom tower is finished but for now it is next to a construction site with all the dust and noice thta conveys. Like other W's you take the elevator up to reception. The rooms are typical in that they are comfortable but kind of small. There is a BLTSteak in this hotel and while the food was pretty good it was expensive and there are far better steakhouses downtown. My overriding sense was the hotel was still on its maiden voyage and was working out the kinks. I am sure given time thta this property will meet the standards the brand usually delivers

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank SSfamily
Write a ReviewReviews (1,217)

Reviewed August 4, 2011

My wife and I stayed here our wedding night and the next night in NYC. First off, the second day we stayed there, the elevator we were in did not accept our room key so we went to the front desk only to have the woman at the desk try to convince us that we weren't staying at the hotel! We spent 30 minutes trying to tell her that it was our second day there and all of our stuff was in our room! She would not listen to us and was very rude. Finally somehow she decided to contact a manager who then made us aware that the elevator was not working properly and that you had to swipe the card, then press the button on the opposite side of the elevator in order for it to work properly. After this ordeal we received no apology. Another frustrating part of our stay was the facT that nobody EVER answered the phone when we would call from our room! I've NEVER been to a hotel where they don't answer after a few rings, let alone don't answer at all!!! We had a problem with the TV in our room and not only did my wife have to come downstairs because nobody would answer the phone, but it took 45 minutes for someone to come fix the TV! On top of all this, the day after our wedding we're laying in bed and a window washer on a scaffold stops at our window and stares at us in bed!!! We couldn't believe that even on a high floor we had no privacy in the room! For the money that we prepaid for the room I couldn't believe that we were treated so rudely by the whole staff. Not one person congratulated us for being married or said anything even remotely nice to us, maybe this is the attitude of the hotel but we couldn't believe how unbelievably rude everyone was. When we checked out the gentleman working the front desk didn't say one word to us, he just handed me a receipt. I had to ask if everything was OK because he wouldn't even speak to us! I hope something is done about this staff because we've stayed in many hotels and have NEVER had an experience this bad.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TChristy
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I stayed at the W New York– Downtown while visiting the city in July 2011. This is an acceptable hotel (though not a credit to the W brand), but I would be unlikely to return to this property.

The front desk staff was enthusiastic and helpful at check-in, and once someone arrived at the front desk, he was very efficient at check-out, as well. We were generally greeted by the doormen at the hotel entrance. The fifth-floor lobby of the hotel is a cool appealing and whimsical design, though fairly dark. The shower was the best I have had in a W hotel (combining aspects of the rainfall shower without the anaemic water pressure). Other reviewers have noted noise issues at this hotel, but my room was very quiet. Glimpses of the river could be caught between buildings from the room. These were the high points of our experience at the hotel.

Other aspects of the hotel were somewhat disappointing.

The room was quite small (even by New York standards), and it should probably have been outfitted with a Queen instead of a King bed. Even with the corner room’s windows (one of which was able to open), it felt very cramped and probably ill-suited for more than one person. The pocket door on the bathroom seemed cheap, but it is unclear whether there would have been clearance for a proper door. Despite having been booked directly through Starwood, this had the feel of the rooms I would get at the Grand Hyatt in New York when I booked through Hotwire/Expedia as a student.

At less than one year old, the room in which I stayed was not wearing well. The white walls were scuffed in various places, and there were obvious patches that had been made. There were a couple of drips of water coming out from between the panels underneath the sink. In addition, while the room size is not an issue that can be overcome, I would have expected the room to be slightly cleaner, as there was visible dust in several places when I arrived (including on the mini-bar snack tray items). I was also disappointed that the terrace off of the lobby was closed when I tried to go out in the afternoon and that none of the staff in the area offered any assistance (or even telling us that it was closed) as we tried multiple doors. Finally, this is the first W at which I have stayed where I was overwhelmed by the brand’s signature scent. A friend and I had to literally hold our breath in the elevator from the street level to the lobby at one point. None of these were enough to ruin my stay, but there are certainly better hotels in the area. I expect better of this brand.

In this area of Lower Manhattan, I have previously stayed at the Ritz Carlton Battery Park and the Millennium Hilton, and I would recommend the former if you can get a decent rate (it is a couple of blocks further south, but its rooms are quite large with harbour views and telescopes for looking at the Statue of Liberty). I am not normally a huge fan of staying off the island when visiting New York, but given the proximity and convenience of the PATH station (both to the World Trade Centre and the hotel in New Jersey), SPG members needing to be in Lower Manhattan should seriously consider the excellent W Hoboken.

The hotel is located across the street from the site of the World Trade Centre. Once the pavilion opens, it will be easier to get around this area (including to the PATH station on the other side). There seemed to be a shortage of taxis on the hotel’s street, but they can be more easily found a couple of blocks to the east. There is a Starbucks across the street from the hotel, and we went to Tribeca to eat because there are not very many options in the immediate vicinity of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Just a quick review for now, while I am kept awake in my room that is above the lounge. Unbelievable that they would put a family in this room (especially one that is a rewards member of their program). The noise is so loud - we are hearing both the din of people and the music. This room should be used for young "hip" people that won't be in their rooms until later. NOT RECOMMENDED if you want a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank gouldmanj
Reviewed July 30, 2011

So glad we experienced this W. My 13 year old was with me and previously we had only stayed in Midtown. Our 19th floor room was a little small given we reserved a Spectacular room (it may have been b/c we used points) but had fabulous view of the WTC..we saw them testing the waterfalls in prep for the 9/11/11 opening. The only construction sound problems we had were the night I didn't seal our window shut..ooops! Pros... great concierges..1 block to Subway (a main line)..even on the weekend lots of cafes and shops to get food/drinks w/in 2 blocks...Battery Park super close...amazing view of history in the making. Cons..rooms had a "cool factor" but not the best W finishes..flat paint was scuffed several places...not totally polished.. Great experience overall

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Downtown was not exactly our first choice for a hotel location, but we got a great deal on Hotwire so we thought we'd give it a shot.
The design of the lobby is pure sexy. Black textured walls, a low organic ceiling, and beautiful wrap-around terrace create the sexy design-driven experience you expect from a W. We had one of the Wonderful rooms in the back of the building. A nearly vacant lot allows for tremendous amounts of sunshine through the windows, and the white decor makes the room feel even lighter. I had read reviews about construction noise, but thankfully we stayed here on a national holiday so it was blissfully quiet.
The short and sweet:

Pros
sexy lobby
great terrace overlooking WTC memorial (although it just looks like a mess right now)
wonderful W bed
clean

Cons
location - very limited for places to eat around here. Though it is walkable to Tribeca.
cab deficient
sliding bathroom door, as in the old crappy wooden ones that pinch your fingers
no HD TV. You expect to have the same or better quality cable as you have at home

Room Tip: while construction continues on the Freedom Tower, I'd recommend rooms on the back side