“Very hip, but has one design flaw in my opinion.”

W New York - Downtown
Ranked #254 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 1, 2011

This is a very nice hotel. Very clean and hip looking. However, there is one design flaw that I did not like-- the shared wall between the bathroom and sleeping area is frosted glass. Although this can be very sexy if you are traveling with your spouse, it is not if you are traveling with a parent or a friend. You can see the outline of whoever is taking a shower! This really didn't bother me. It was the fact that the light, when turned on in the bathroom, shines into the sleeping area-not good at nighttime when you are trying to sleep! If you are traveling with someone who gets up at night to use the bathroom, this can be irritating. There was some noise from the construction until 9:30 at night, but after that did not hear anymore. If you want to take a nap during the day, the noise could be irritating, but at night it is quiet. In fact, I like how quiet it is here compared to midtown. Midtown is much, much more noisy, especially at night!

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and thought the hotel was very nice. Food was very good and the bar area in the lobby was hip and comfortable too. Liked the complimentary coffee/tea in the morning and juice/water in the afternoon.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank seeingtheworld5
Write a ReviewReviews (1,194)

Reviewed May 30, 2011

This was our first time at the W hotel downtown - we got a really good deal on their website and we thought to give it a try. We brought our bicycles and even prior to coming they said they can accomodate either in storage or in our rooms (which we preferred). Upon arriving, the door ambassadors greeted us and helped us readily. They were very helpful and friendly. We were upgraded to a larger suite (complimentary) because of our bicycles and signed us up for an SPG card. The ambience was very hip but we thought the staff was really friendly and down to earth and seemed to personalize everything! The room was spacious and the bed was comfy and the products were superb. There was only free wifi in the lobby or "living room" and there was a cost in your room $14.95 a day per device. We chose self pakring $35/day versus valey $55/day which was only a block down the street. Location was great, especially for us who biekd the city. Easy access to bike lanes, brooklyn bridge and the bike paths along the hudson river. We will be definetly coming back here again and try other W hotels.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2011

I love W Hotels, but honestly, they are hit or miss. The properties are always distinctive, but you never really know what your experience is going to be because of the people who work there. Sometime employees are really down to earth, other times they can be rude, surly and arrogant.

I'm pleased to report the team at the W New York - Downtown made a recent one night stay a real pleasure. It started at the front door. I was warmly greeted, my bags were taken upstairs to the lobby, and a team of smiling employees met me to get me checked in. While I waited, a bellman brought me a glass of complimentary sparkling water from the bar.

W takes care of details. This particular hotel is across the street from the Freedom Tower construction site at the location of the World Trade Center. The employee made sure to check me into a room on the side of the building opposite of the construction site where jackhammers start at 6 a.m.

The bellman showed me to my room and explained that the hotel was an eco-friendly hotel. One interesting touch: to turn on the lights in the room, you insert your room key into a special device near the room's entrance. Remove the key and your lights go out on a timer. Keep the key in and the lights stay on.

As I think about it, every single employee I encountered at this hotel was pleasant and helpful. The concierge helped me get show tickets and recommended a nearby restaurant. (It had opened 4 months earlier and was excellent.) Later in the evening, she recommended a special cocktail to try at the hotel bar. Before she left work for the evening, she stopped by the bar to be sure I liked it. (I did.)

Speaking of the bar, the bartenders and cocktail waitress were real pros. It was like they were welcoming me into their home.

Later, the next day at breakfast in the hotel's restaurant, I had terrific service from everyone I encountered -- the hostess, the waiter, the busboy.

As I departed, the bellman thanked me for staying with them and asked me to come back soon as he loaded my bags into a taxi.

I can't remember the last time a hotel staff -- to a person -- was so gracious and personable. Even a housekeeper greeting me in the hallway singing as I made my way to check out.

The only bad thing I can say about my experience was the housekeeper neglected to remove a previous guest's dirty brown sock which was laying on the room's brown carpet. That's it.

Oh, and I scored this room on Priceline for 160 bucks on a Sunday night.

I would definitely stay here again. While the location is not walking distance to much of Midtown where tourists and business people want to be, the R Line has a stop at Rector St 2 blocks away next to Trinity Church.

Room Tip: Construction noise is on 1 side of bldg. Beware.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 24, 2011

My job required me to travel to NYC on several short trips and I stayed at the W for one of those trips. Big mistake. The construction noise is unbearable. The hotel is literally across the street for world trade center construction. When I asked to be moved to a room on the opposite side of the building I was told nothing was available, which I find hard to believe. I ended up getting less than 3 hours sleep as the construction does not stop overnight. The next day after complaining again about the noise, especially since my stay was for business, not pleasure and I needed sleep, I was moved to an itsy bitsy room behind the elevators....again noise! Also, the rooms are in dire need of refurbishing, the walls and carpets are dirty. There was a ball of hair in the bathroom, ewww... Would not stay here again, that's for sure.

Room Tip: Away from the construction
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank nina2727
Reviewed May 17, 2011

This hotel is tragically hip. I have stayed at Ws before and haven't felt this way, so to me there's something about this one in particular. It started with the completely black foyer with only an elevator and the far away door to the bar. This is a very sparse and non-welcoming way to be greeted. Then I went to the 5th floor to check in, and walked into a lounge that was trying really hard to be a club. Unfortunately, I couldn't hear a thing the woman at the desk was saying because of the pounding club music from the DJ table a few steps away - so I had trouble hearing important things like "your room number is..." My hotel room had no TV remote, and while someone did bring it, it was annoying that it was missing in the first place. I ordered room service at one point, but the dessert I wanted was no longer being offered. The clock radio was set to 4:45am when I arrived at 9:30pm. The lighting in my room was WAY too white - I had to play with the various switches to make it less industrial and more "homey." The lighting was a problem in the bathroom, too, because it shined right down on me, creating shadows when I was trying to do my makeup. I had to use the scary magnifying mirror, so I did my makeup hunched over the sink to see into the little magnifying mirror.

Also, I find it rather forced to be called by my first name by hotel staff. (Who wants this? I would think young people who would like it couldn't afford the W, and older people would appreciate a little less familiarity.) I'm not an old lady - I'm 37 - and I wonder how middle-aged guests view this familiarity.

The wi-fi is rather pricey at $14.95 PER DEVICE per day, and the signal wasn't the strongest, either. I only used one device (my iPod) and was charged for two, so I was unable to use the automatic check out on the TV, as I had to go discuss the charge with the front desk. At least, during check out, there was no DJ blasting music, so we could actually hear each other.

Finally, the W offers a free ride to certain parts of the city as an Acura promotion, but when I tried to use it, it was totally booked. Seems like there may only be one or two cars, so book immediately upon your arrival if you want to use it.

On the plus side, I really liked the shower products, and the bed, as always, was very comfortable. The room service dinner was quite tasty, so I appreciated that. And the bathroom was fantastically clean - not a single stray hair from a prior guest. In all, I think there are a lot of kinks to work out here. I still like Starwood hotels, but might not choose this particular one again anytime soon.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Cranky_Traveler
Reviewed May 16, 2011

My Husband and I have stayed in many W Hotels and the service and decor is always excellent. I'm surpirsing him with a trip to NYC where we'll spend our Anniversary at the new downtown W which will be new for us. The reason I'm writing this review before is because I just got off the phone with reservations and the woman who helped me was so darn nice and helpful. She not only made recommendations to fit my budget but also wished us well on our Anniversary and told me how she was celebrating her 20th Anniversary this year with her Husband. This kind of personalized treatment is a what sets certain luxury brands ahead of some others. Thanks to her for getting my special day off to a great start before I even check in!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I stayed during hotel's soft opening so my comments are general as many services were bedding in.

The hotel is downtown and with a bit of walking it's possible to get linked into subway system and go uptown. I think the immediate area around the hotel lacks any good restaurants and bars.

Rooms were not up to usual standard for W Hotels and on the small side. The bathrooms were also small and I think poorly appointed and sterile. I continuall had to ask for shower gel as it was never replenished but I'll put this down to hotel training new staff.

All in all an ok hotel but wouldn't stay here, even with substantial discount, unless I had business in the immediate area.

I