“Chic modern hotel in a fantastic location”

Kimpton Hotel Eventi
Ranked #39 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Leysin, Switzerland
“Chic modern hotel in a fantastic location”
Reviewed November 7, 2010

Travelled to New York recently with my mum for a long weekend and did a lot of research prior to booking the Eventi. On arrival (late from the UK) the staff were fantastic - quick check in and a lovely quiet room on the top floor. The location was perfect for us with less than 5 minutes walk to Macy's and easy access to all the gorgeous parts of the lower west side (Chelsea, Greenwich etc) - we walked everywhere. The room itself was great, clean, modern and comfortable with two good doubles, a spacious bathroom and a stunning view. Coffee in the morning and wine in the evening were nice touches and as we were there over Halloween there was lots going on including a pumpkin carving competition between the staff.

The only criticism was that we are both very allergic to feathers and despite asking the hotel to de-feather the room prior to our arrival it took 3 nights and several requests for it to actually happen. That said the staff were extremely apologetic and did offer some compensation which was a welcome gesture.

Overall we were both very happy with the hotel and particularly appreciated the attentive staff and very comfy room. I would definitely go back but next time would ask for a room on the east side of the building in order to enjoy the incredible view of the Empire State building.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this review, December 3, 2010
Hello caginlayson!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about you stay at The Eventi Hotel. We really appreciate the opportunity to read all your comments, and are happy to hear that you enjoyed the complimentay coffee and wine! Hope you got the chance to vote on your favorite pumpkin too. Hopefully you choose to stay with us again so we can de-feather your room in advance.

Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (971)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Aiea, Hawaii
Reviewed November 5, 2010

I have stayed in Kimpton hotels before. So I knew this would be good. I specifically chose this particular hotel because it was new. In fact I made my reservation long before it opened. The room was amazing...the view was amazing (could see the top of the EMpire State building). The wine reception every afternoon was awesome! The outdoor area where we could enjoy the wine with other guests was amazing. The service and employees were all very friendly and accommodating. The location was perfect. Just a short walk from an underground and not too far from Times Square. If you haven't experienced a Kimpton yet...you are missing out!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed November 4, 2010

Being sick of large-chain hotels who ignore their customers, I'm thrilled to have found the Kimpton chain. This company appears to truly appreciate their customers. Eventi, in Chelsea, is no exception. My travel companions and I were warmly greeted and attended to throughout our three day stay. The rooms are luxurious and the beds exceptionally comfortable. Eventi's location in Chelsea is perfect to access just about any neighborhood in the city. I was impressed that the hotel staff poured the wine during wine hour, and happily engaged in conversation with their guests. Don't pass up Eventi; it's an excellent option in a city full of hotels.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank JoyPlaysKeys
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this review, November 5, 2010
Dear JoyPlaysKeys,

Thank you very much for your review of the Eventi. I'm pleased to learn that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and got to meet some of our staff members at our nightly wine hour. We hope to see you again soon!
Saint Helena Island, South Carolina
Reviewed November 4, 2010

From our arrival to departure couldn't have been better. Thank you to Sharee Hines and Kirk for this super stay.

Jim/Joan R

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoanRO341
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 3, 2010

We got a very good deal through the eventi website, and stayed at this great hotel for a "holiday inn" price. We loved the beds the most. They were so comfortable, just lying down after a day of sightseeing was enough to put us asleep! The flat screen tv right in front of the bed was nice. Good channels to browse after a long day. We were treated to a complimentary bottle of champagne and truffles upon arrival, since we made it known that it was our anniversary trip.

The new hotel has a few kinks to work out with service, but nothing that was too off putting. When we arrived (15 minutes after 3 pm), we were waiting for about 20 minutes for our room. A man at the front desk asked us to wait while he checked whether our room was ready. It apparently was ready, but he never came to get us though he said he would. A lady had to ask us what we were waiting for before we found out that the room was ready. We also requested to get some ice, but we had to call twice to remind them when it didn't come up.

This one bothered me though, I forgot my camera in my room. So after breakfast, we went back to the hotel room, and the cleaning lady was making the bed with the room door propped open. I walked in and grabbed my camera, and left, and all we did was exchange hellos. It could have been anyone walking into our room, and grabbing our stuff. I think there should be more security about this, even just asking me to open the door with my key. I'm not sure if this is a common problem in many hotels.

There wasn't a lot of space in the room, but I didn't expect there to be, it's NYC! It was big enough for us for sure, and the bathroom was nicely styled. The etro lotion is my favourite. Too bad they didn't replenish it over our 3 night stay, but I guess the stuff is expensive! The wifi worked perfectly, and it's free if you sign up with the intouch kimpton website.

Great comfortable bed, clean rooms, clean bathroom. A little questionable service, but hopefully it's just a new hotel thing and they iron out the kinks.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
Hello Cynsation!

Happy Anniversary :) So glad you chose to spend the special occasion with us at Eventi! And who doesn't like walking into a hotel room with goodlies like champagne and truffles! Thanks for bearing with us in our new opening. I too love the Etro products, they are awesome and have such a unique scent!

We hope to see you next time at a Kimpton Hotel.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 2, 2010

As a frequent user of TripAdvisor, and occasional hotel reviewer, I am always leery of long reviews (aka rants). This is kinda long I wanted to explain my low rating. I travel frequently in the US and Europe - spent about 45 nights in hotels over the last 12 months. Eventi has a lot going for it but you should consider my experiences as you weigh your hotel options. I agree with many of the positive points mentioned in other reviews. However, if you have any allergy problems, want to eat in the hotel, or are fans of crisp service and follow through read on.

For those of you who have a life and don’t want to read all this, the bottom line for those with allergies is: Eventi (as many Kimpton Hotels) are pet friendly. If you are allergic to pets ask to be on a pet free floor (they have three); and, if you are allergic to feathers (or more accurately the dust mites that live in feathered bedding) ask to have the bedding changed. Or stay in a more allergic person friendly hotel.

I booked three rooms (my sister, my daughter, me) for three nights in October. When we checked in my sister mentioned she had seen that Eventi was pet friendly. My daughter, my sister and I are all allergic to cats and some dogs so we asked if we could have rooms that had not been occupied by pets. The front desk person checking us in was very helpful and said that was easy to do. After I had been in my room a couple of hours I noticed I was feeling a little itchy and congested. I checked with the front desk and they assured me I was on a pet free floor. We went out for the evening and came back late. Next morning I woke up very congested, had a blocked ear (which I’ve never had) and had to run to CVS for relief. Chatted with helpful front desk guy about what could be bothering me. Turns out the comforter and many of the pillows are feathered. Bingo - although I am not usually bothered by feathered pillows that seemed like the case here. This is apparently common enough that they quickly dispatched housekeeping to swap out the feather containing bedding with non allergenic material. Seemed to work for me as I didn't have any more significant allergy problems (though wasn’t completely back to normal). This room allergy problem is the first I've had in many years in a hotel though I do usually ask for foam pillows. I should also add that my sister and my daughter have allergy problems occasionally but didn’t have any problems at Eventi.

Other than the allergy issues the rooms are nice. Two nits: the HVAC makes a loud rumble when it cycles on and off (may vary by room, didn't bother my sister) and the room lighting leaves dark areas (the obvious location for a suitcase on luggage rack is quite dark at night so I had to use my flashlight to find things.)

So that’s the allergy thing, here’s the service thing(s): When we checked in the desk clerk told us about the dining options including that the Bar Basque restaurant had just opened a week earlier for breakfast and dinner and encouraged us to try it. On our last night we were going to the opera and decided to try Bar Basque - I love Spanish food and we thought eating in the hotel would minimize the risk of being late for the opera. (I had to talk my sister into it because she had a bad experience at breakfast there.) When we got off the elevator at the restaurant we were offered a glass of wine off a tray. Didn't take much to figure out the restaurant was hosting a private function and was closed to hotel quests. We had not been notified (how about a sign by the lobby elevators or in the elevators???) (and why do you close a restaurant you just opened??). So we had to scramble to find another option for diner.

On our way out the door the friendly doorman asked how we were doing and we told him we were unhappy that the restaurant was closed and we weren't notified in advance. He apologized and offered us a bottle of wine. We said thanks but we needed dinner not wine. He asked us to wait while he went in back of the front desk. After a few minutes (we almost left as we were feeling pressure to eat) he introduced us to the front desk manager who asked how he could help us. Things went downhill from there. Didn't the doorman tell him our problem? We had already spent too much time on this and needed to find dinner. The manager basically indicated the whole thing was our fault as there had been a letter in our room informing us that the restaurant would be closed (I had not seen it, my sister didn’t get one). He was unhelpful so we just walked out the door. The door man apparently thought the manager was going to do something more than offer a bottle of wine as he asked us what happened. I told him: we got a weak apology and an explanation of how we had screwed up! We weren’t trolling for comps, we needed dinner and he wasn’t helpful.

OK, so now I’m at the point where only insomniacs are reading this. Anyway, the next day the front desk manager approached me and acknowledged that things had not gone well the night before. He asked how he could make it up to us. I said a sincere apology would help and he did apologize. He said he wanted to do something for us and asked us what he could do. I didn’t have any ideas and he didn't offer up any.

When I checked out I asked to speak the hotel manager. (This is putting me to sleep, is that insomniac still reading?) I told him that I had three rooms for three days, wasn’t leaving a happy customer and wanted him to know why. He (Bert?) was very professional, listened well, asked the right questions, and sincerely apologized. He said Eventi wanted us to give them another try. He would make an adjustment to our bill and send us a voucher for a two night stay. I thanked him and said we would consider giving them another try.

OK we are near the end! Guess what? Over ten days have elapsed since I checked out. I have yet to receive an “adjustment” to my considerable bill and have not received a voucher. I won’t be giving them another try.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank BostonJake
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I forgot to write my review of my trip to NYC in May, but better late than never!

I really enjoyed my stay at Kimpton. The hotel opened a couple weeks before my stay in May. Hotel is modern and very styling. Rooms were a decent size and beds were extremely comfy after a long day of activities in NYC. Love the bathroom showers! There were 2 different shower heads.

Rooms at Kimpton are a decent size considering it's in NYC. I have stayed in other hotels in NYC and i felt like i was living in my closet. Loved the outdoor balcony, a tasteful area where u can relax on your own or with others. Lobby is a bit small, but it didnt concern me much b/c I wasn't sleeping in the lobby. Staffs were efficient and polite. Good location, you can walk to shops near by, such as Macy's or even take a short cab ride anywhere.

Really enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it to anyone :-)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Dear mo4ever18,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your review of the Eventi! I think it's wonderful that you were one of our first guests to experience Kimpton's newest hotel and I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The outdoor balcony is an aspect of the hotel that we're very excited about for our guests and I'm glad you liked it. We hope to welcome you back soon!