“Great hotel in a good location.”

Kimpton Hotel Eventi
Ranked #39 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great hotel in a good location.”
Reviewed October 4, 2010

This a a really nice hotel in a great location. The room was a good size for New York which was important because we were 4 women sharing one room! It helped that the bathroom was nice and big. Comfortable beds. Great view. Clean rooms. We also loved the wine service at 5 pm. Really friendly and helpful staff as well. It is a bit expensive but it was perfect for sharing a room with friends and splitting the cost.

• Stayed October 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (984)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
West Hollywood, CA
Reviewed October 3, 2010

I decided to stay in this new Kimpton hotel because it got great reviews. For the most part, I was satisfied with my stay. The rooms here are quite nice, very new, very modern. The beds were comfortable, and I felt like the bathroom was very decently sized, given that this IS NYC, and hotel rooms are usually the size of shoe boxes. Pluses with the room: marble bathroom, bathroom amenities by Etro were decent, very nice HD flat screen television, and floor to ceiling windows. I was put into a corner room so I had windows on two sides which was a nice bonus.

The hotel itself, does not really have a large lobby, and at the time I was there, it was kind of hard to get at the restaurant, but with so many dining options in NYC, it doesn't really matter. Eventi is also very close to Herald Square (Macys), and almost all lines on the NY Subway run through Herald Square. Some people complained about construction noise with the hotel. I didn't really find that to be a problem, even though I was on the 12th floor which is about midway up the hotel. One afternoon as I was taking a short nap, I did hear some construction noise, but it wasn't unbearable. There is also a nice terrace on the hotel which is great for reading the paper or having coffee, but the few times I was on it, it seemed very windy and deserted.

The one MAJOR downside to the hotel for me is the location. It is not by any means in an unsafe area, but there isn't really anything immediately surrounding the hotel. And because there isn't much of a lobby or hotel bar, it seems like it is a little isolated. About a block away from the Eventi is the Ace Hotel, which has a GREAT restaurant and bar/lobby which I highly recommened. But the location of the Eventi leaves much to be desired in my opinion. I was also at the hotel during Fashion Week, so the hotel was completely full.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank bumd168
Sharon, Vermont
Reviewed September 19, 2010

We stayed at the Eventi this past weekend and enjoyed our stay. This is a new hotel-- new construction, so unlike some Kimpton projects where they've taken over an older building and done rehab, this is all new. The rooms are very nicely arrayed-- we stayed in an executive king with an awesome view of the Empire State. The bed was great, the bathroom excellent, and all was right with the room itself. The service in the hotel was a little choppy--- our room was not made up, and when we called at 5pm to ask that it be made up, it still was not (and it never got done). The food facilities (restaurant, bar etc.) are still under construction, and the staff seems new and not quite used to running a hotel (or this hotel anyway) yet. Nevertheless, we'd happily return and we'd recommend the Eventi-- we expect this will get better over time. I prefer it to 70 Park (where I stayed) in terms of the quality of the room.

1 Thank ordinarymind
East Lothian
Reviewed September 18, 2010

Spacious & modern room, big bed & a view of the Empire State Building! The reception staff were friendly & welcoming & the dog bowl & biscuits by the door were a nice touch, wish I had a dog with me to enjoy them!

Good location, a few minutes from Times Square but far enough away to not be disturbed by all the "hustle & bustle"!

Used the gym a few times, good selection of machines ..... & the veranda on the 5th floor was ace.

The only niggle was the air conditioning - it came on with a bit of a thud but it was not loud enough to disturb my sleep.

All in all.....very much improved upon my last stay in NY!

1 Thank Morryboo
2travel2shop
Reviewed September 14, 2010

My colleague and I stayed at Eventi in mid-August. It was the business portion of my trip and I had my golden retriever with me as I traveled to the Hamptons afterward for pleasure. The hotel is located very centrally although the immediate area isn't very nice in the evening (especially for dog walking alone and NO grass nearby!). The bellhop and doormen were so kind, always greeting the dog, remembering his name, etc. As with any Kimpton, the happy hour is a nice touch and much appreciated. We had a one bedroom suite that was a pretty good size for NY and we were impressed with the oversized toiletries. (And we feel like we got a great deal on Jetsetter).

Unfortunately, 4 weeks after our stay we were still having problems relating to the charges incurred during our stay. My colleague checked in early and used her personal card so that she could get into the room early. When I arrived, I gave them the business card and asked that all charges be put on this card, NOT the colleague's card. There seemed to be no issue.

However, upon returning home, we realized that one night of parking had been charged to my colleague's card. No big deal, the company reimbursed her. But THREE WEEKS LATER, she was charged an additional $300 - for parking and other incidentals.

She immediately called and the gentleman in accounting told her he needed her to put the problem in writing and he would correct it. She put it in writing that day, I authorized the charges to be charged to the business card, and we never heard back from him. At this point, as these were unforeseen charges and it was a debit/visa, she transferred funds between her accounts in order to cover it and not incur bank fees.

We never heard back from the accountant she spoke to so we called the desk and asked to speak to a Manager. After several voicemails, we finally reached a front office manager that could assist us. I filled out the card authorization for the correct card, faxed it back immediately, and she sent an attachment with the new charges and said, since it was after business hours, the credit would go through by the next business day. It took over 5 days for the credit to come through after we reached someone that could process it immediately. Needless to say, this was a frustrating process.

Also upon reviewing our bill(s) we found a $223 laundry charge that was not ours. That charge was credited back without question, but it made us realize that in our years of not having trouble we weren't being diligent enough.

While the issues with billing were finally resolved, it left a poor impression of this hotel. To have charges show up three weeks after the stay, and incorrect, and to have the burden of them charged to the wrong card (a debit card), and requiring the cardholder to transfer funds, etc, is ridiculous and annoying. We are glad the issue is resolved, mainly due to our persistence, and hope it doesn't happen to someone else.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Eventi_Hotel_Manager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this review, September 27, 2010
Dear ‘2travel2shop,’

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of Eventi on Trip Advisor.

It is unfortunate that an otherwise excellent visit was marred by poor customer service once you had checked out. I do apologize for the inconvenience that this caused you and I am glad that the problems were finally resolved. Please know that I have addressed this with my guest services team to ensure that future guests do not have the same experience.

Kimpton Hotels is well known for delivering great customer service and I am sorry that you did not experience it. I hope that you return to Eventi in the future and find that our customer service is as flawless as one would expect from a Kimpton hotel.

Even though you had service problems, I do appreciate that you were able to acknowledge our bell and door teams. They appreciate that their hard work is recognized.

We look forward to your return.

Bert le Roux
Hotel Manager
Manchester
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Very good standard 4 star hotel with all the comforts you'd expect - fluffy robes, daily newspaper, enormous beds,friendly service - and extras you wouldn't normally get - complimentary wine every evening on the terrace, lots of room and light, lifts in the house car. Liked being away from the madness of Time Square. Safe neighbourhood - as two women we had no problem walking back from the West Village at night. There's a great deli right across the road for breakfast on the go. Loved Mandoo restaurant round the corner on W32nd (between 5th & Broadway) for gorgeous Korean dumplings. Will definitely return to NYC and when I do Eventi will be my first choice hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this review, September 24, 2010
Dear kglebelands,

Thank you for sharing your review of the Eventi, a Kimpton Hotel! I'm happy to learn that you had a pleasant and comfortable experience at the hotel and took advantage of the nightly wine reception we offer our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
home
Reviewed September 9, 2010

Beautiful brand new hotel, the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Close to subway so easy to get around. Staff very helpful and always had a smile. Free champagne reception every evening. Would definately stay there again.