“Eventi Delivers..2nd Visit in Two Months”

Kimpton Hotel Eventi
Ranked #48 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 20, 2010

My first visit to this brand new hotel was June 7-11, 2010. Eventi delivers excellent service, has a hospitable staff, and exudes all the warmth and generosity of a Kimpton hotel. Upgrades? No problem. Special requests? No problem. During the June stay it was evident that many of the rooms had never been occupied. I'm pleased to say everything functioned well, room service was quick (and delicious). The rooms are well appointed and how can you complain when everything is brand new.

Fast forward to today, August 20, 2010. I'm back. Nothing has changed. Service is still impeccable, the hotel amenities and room appointments are modern enough to last for years. Yes the hotel is a tad trendy but Eventi bears the true essence of a huge hotel that maintains it's "boutiquiness" (I made that word up ya know ;-) ) that Kimptons are known for. That said, I believe Eventi will stand the test of time because it belongs to a family of hotels that has the recipe whose indgridients include upscale, warmth, service delivery, security, professionalism, and gratuitous.

The hotel is two blocks from subway stations in every direction, 3 blocks from Penn Station, 2 blocks from Herold Square below 30th street. I've finally found a hotel to call home base when I come to NYC.

My only wish was that the lobby and living room were bigger or the living room had a loft design.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (3,517)

Reviewed August 17, 2010

We stayed here for three nights this past July. Upon arrival we were greeted warmly and had a very friendly and competent person check us in. He was very professional and we instantly felt comfortable here. Upon enterring our room on the 19th floor, we were instantly impressed. Loved the view of the Empire State building and loved the comfy king size bed. Bathroom products were top quality! The room was very clean. Sleeping here was a real treat as it was super quiet, cool and comfortable. We really appreciated the daily free wine service they have from 5pm to 6pm. What a fun and cool way to relax in your hotel! The wine was very good and no questions asked when you go back for more! The employees here are very friendly and go out of their way to help you with any questions or needs you might have. We will stay at this hotel for our next trip to NYC.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2010

Dear stltraveler01,

Thank you for sharing your review on your recent visit to the Eventi! I am really glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm also happy to hear that you took part in our nightly wine reception. It's great that you found it relaxing because that's the whole reason why we offer it! We feel it puts a good ending to the busy day. We hope to see you back here soon!

Reviewed August 12, 2010

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Eventi New York, following a crossing to NY on QM2 - and we were extremely impressed with the hotel

The overall design is very modern, and the highest quality materials have been used, in order to create a striking design

The rooms are great, with very comfortable beds. The only minor issue we found with the room was with the lack of clothes storage - that said, there were 4 of us in the room, and with 2 people the storage space is probably fine

The daily wine reception was excellent, especially on the days it was held on the 5th floor verandah - which is an oasis from the madness below

Location is also great - 2 minutes from 34th, Macys, Empire State etc. There are also numerous subway stations within a few minutes walk. We used Penn which gives you access to the 1,2 and 3 which are great for getting Uptown-Downtown

The only small down points are related to the hotel being new and not quite complete:
-The restaurant is in a temporary state which didn't tempt us to eat there.
-There is also the lack of a bar - which would be great on the verandah - we would have stayed there all evening and not ventured out of the hotel! The hotel must be missing a trick here???
- We also experienced some noise from the building works both outside and inside the building. However, where we were on the back of the building, the works outside would not have woken us even though we were right above it. There was some drilling and bainging from within the hotel which did wake us when it started at 8am - but we wanted to get out and about so an 8am alarm call was not a bad thing!

Overall, a great hotel which will only get even better as it is finished

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank iancarpy
Reviewed August 12, 2010

My wife, daughter and I spent four days in NYC staying at t Eventi and were very pleased. Like all Kimptons, Eventi exudes class, quality and attention to detail. The lobby, while a bit narrow (it's New York, everything is tight) is impressive and very clean. The staff greets you with a friendly smile and has none of the pretentious arrogance of an Ian Schrager place.

We stayed in a suite and loved it. A gorgeous view of the Empire State Building, with a lovely sitting room to relax and watch TV. The bathroom was ample and had a fantastic shower. Again, first-class and super clean, like you expect from a Kimpton.

The hotel is quite large but never felt that way. It's designed like a boutique with an air of easy, stylish comfort. There's a lovely outside lounge on the 5th floor that we visited but never had the time to enjoy. The official hotel restaurant isn't opening until the fall so we didn't dine at the temporary one, although it looked fine.

The hotel's location is very convenient, if not in the in the most attractive neighborhood (OK, truth is this block of 6th Ave. is butt ugly). You can easily catch the subway to anywhere in Manhattan and it's an easy walk to Chelsea, Broadway, 5th. Ave., 7th Ave, and Park Ave. Lots of restaurants within a few blocks and Penn Station is right around the corner.

If we had any complaint,--and it's minor--room service could have been a bit quicker. The hotel was less than half full during our stay but it seemed to take at least 15 minutes for something like ice to be brought up. Nonetheless, staff was attentive and friendly. Rare in New York.

Would I recommend Eventi? Absolutely. It's a great hotel, and although new, showed few, if any newbie hiccups. It's rooms are upscale, clean, ample, and extremely comfortable. And reasonably priced! About as close to perfect as you can get.

Stay at Eventi and you won't regret it.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2010

Dear output555,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Eventi. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed our new hotel! I'm glad you enjoyed the view and the decor, as well as the convenient location. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed August 10, 2010

The Eventi Hotel is quite new (I think they opened up in April 2010) and therefore when we booked in June we were able to take advantage of their special Grand Opening offer!
The premises are just beautiful: the lobby is not big but features distinctive and stylish pieces of furniture; the front desk staff was friendly and professional (special thanks to Victoria); the bedroom was not very spacious either but nicely furnished, with the most confy and largest bed ever and a great view! We were offered complimentary tee & coffee in the morning, wine reception at 5pm (we just adored their veranda!), wi-fi connection at all time and a $15 voucher for the in-room minibar!! Everything was spotless clean and every single person of the staff was always nice and smiling! Last but not least, a subway station is only 5 minutes walking from there.
During our vacation in the US we stayed at 6 different hotels and we realized that their standards are somehow lower than the European ones, but the Eventi was no disappointment!
To be very very picky, although in the heart of Manhattan, its immediate surroundings are quite ugly and dirty.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I wanted to like this hotel, I really did. I was excited about staying there for months, and really excited after it opened and I saw the great reviews on Tripadvisor. But, this hotel disappointed me in nearly every way. I'll list my pros first - which are few. The rooms are clean and new. The carpet still feels very plushy beneath your tired feet and the bathroom is immaculate. The location of the hotel is also very good. Although it is not right next to all of the tourist attractions, it was a short walk to the garment district, Times Square, or the Empire State building. It also had numerous subway stops close by, with practically any subway train you'd ever need to take at one of those subway stops. I never felt like the location was dangerous or scary (as previous reviewers mentioned) and we were out on the streets at all hours. So A+ for location.

Now onto the cons. The hotel felt too trendy to me. It was always so dark. The elevators were especially dark and it was hard to see the buttons. I'm all for new looks, but this place was so trendy I could see it needing a complete overhaul in 5 years because it will look so dated at that time. Check-in was smooth at the hotel, they got us into our room around 1pm (which is earlier than the normal check-in time). However, the room they put us in was on the south side of the building. I specifically asked for a quiet room. 10 minutes after being in that room I couldn't take it anymore because there was construction outside the window and the noise was a constant beep beep beep. Not something I want to listen to on my vacation or when I'm trying to sleep in the morning. I called and asked if we could be moved, they said that construction was on all sides of the hotel and they could move us up 2 floors to the 11th floor and maybe the noise wouldn't carry as much. So we took that room. It was smaller and didn't have a sofa chair in it like the other room did. But, this new room was on the East side of the hotel facing 6th Ave and the Empire State building. That side of the hotel didn't have any construction, so I don't know why the person on the phone told me construction was on all sides of the hotel. I was happy that the new room was much quieter - we only had to hear noise from the traffic below instead of construction noise.

When we checked in we said Kimpton's secret word of the month that we saw on their facebook page and they said they would be sending a gift up to our room. It took hours for it (a bottle of white wine, and we don't even like white wine) to arrive. We called twice to ask about it. I think it got messed up because of the room switch, but nonetheless this was annoying and a shadow of what was to come in the next few days (slow service)

Also when we checked in I made sure to tell them that we had two separate reservations for our stay. One for the first three nights and another for the last night. They said they would take care of everything and combine the reservations. Well, that didn't happen. The day that the first reservation ended they locked us out of our room and we had to walk all the way back downstairs and wait in a line to get it figured out. And when we checked out after our final reservation they only gave us our receipt for the last night there. Not the first three nights and the last night. They messed up the bill with the mini bar too. I still never got the receipt for the first reservation, so who knows if they charged us correctly. I didn't like how they put the receipt in an envelope and called up the next guest in line. I didn't even get a chance to review the bill at all before they were helping someone else. Everyone at the front desk was really snotty. I didn't meet a single person who was friendly. They all seemed very fake and I felt like they had to force their kindness.

Cons about the room - the sink was clogged the whole time we were there. It wouldn't drain ever and would fill up with water quickly. The shower was confusing to use. They should put instructions in there. The water never got very hot either. The biggest con for me was the bed. I've known in the past that the Kimpton chain is very pet friendly. But I don't think that means I should have to deal with the remnants from the pets. And during this stay I did. Our bed smelled like wet dog the whole time. I noticed it right away the first night when I snuggled under the blankets. The comforter is what smelled like wet dog. Everyday I had them change the sheets hoping that would eradicate the smell, but some wet dog in a previous stay must have slept on the comforter and soaked through the sheets. Gross. I know some people are obsessed with their dogs, but not everyone is a dog lover and I don't think it's fair that I should have to sleep in that stench. Kimpton, you should clean your comforters too after dogs are in the rooms, not just the sheets on top of the comforters. Imagine if someone was severely allergic to a dog. They could have been taking a trip to the hospital if they were staying in the room we were in.

The air conditioning or vent in our room was also extremely noisy. It sounded broken. It wasn't making this noise all the time, only every 5 minutes or so, but it would last a few minutes. Someone needs to check that out because I don't think that loud buzzing noise is normal.

The mini bar service was crap. As a Kimpton in-touch member we got a $15 voucher for the mini bar. The sign in the room said it would be replenished daily. It was not replenished daily at all during our stay. We had to call multiple times to ask them to bring up single items. It sometimes took over 2 hours for them to bring the items up. One time it took a whole afternoon. They never ever brought the items up to us in less than an hour. Also, after the third day there they took the mini bar list from our room and so we didn't know how much anything cost after that. I think they overcharged us on our bill too. They charged us for food from one of the times when we called and asked them to bring up an item. During that time they never actually dropped the item off at our room because they took so long to stop by and by the time they did we had the do not disturb sign on and were getting ready for bed. I don't actually know how much we were charged though because like I said they never ever gave us the official bill for our whole stay, just our last night there which didn't have the mini bar charges or our first three nights on it at all.

Lastly, I didn't think the concierge was particularly helpful. We called one night to ask for a few restaurant recommendations for a particular type of food. He told us the name of one restaurant. I didn't quite understand the name when he first said it so I asked him to repeat it and then he was all short with me. I felt that he could have been a little more friendly or suggested a few restaurants or told us what was good about that particular one he suggested. Also, one day when I called to ask if there was free internet and printing in the business center the concierge said yes. We left our room early to go down there and print off tickets for an event. However, the internet was not free at all. In fact, they wanted us to pay $6.95 for 15 minutes of internet! Insane! Plus 49 cents for one B&W page printed or even more for 1 color page. I felt like the concierge wasted my time that night and was very mad that we weren't able to print off our tickets. We just ended up not doing that event because of that. The hotel staff should learn more about their hotel before they tell their guests incorrect facts. It's funny because after all of this happened I recalled a previous stay I had at a Kimpton in Boston where they had also said internet was free and it ended up not being free at all.

Overall, I was disappointed mostly with the service and the staff at this hotel. The rooms themselves were nice and new, despite the problems with the construction noise, AC noise, stinky blankets, and clogged sinks. I would stay here again if I could get the pre-opening rate again. That rate was worth it for this hotel in NYC (although I would still consider that pre-opening rate very expensive if it were any other city). However, I am hesitant to recommend this hotel if you have to pay the normal rates that they are now charging, which are over double what I paid. I don't think it is worth it at those rates. At those rates I would expect a very high level of service and that is not what we received at all. Maybe other guests who look like business travelers or who are older will receive better care. But as a younger guest who looked like a typical tourist, I found that I didn't receive any special treatment at this hotel.

I rate this hotel average. Because that is what I think the hotel will become overtime and that is what my experience was. Right now the other reviews are bloated since it's a new hotel. But I think it will eventually fall into the average category for NYC hotels, especially if they keep up the level of service and unfriendliness that they currently have.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank am5
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Loved the wine reception on the roof. Nice staff, small but clean and lovely room. Good central location. Get your Kimpton rewards card before you stay! Umbrellas in the closet for rain, MP3 player in room. All and all I was pleased.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends