“New York, New York!”

Kimpton Hotel Eventi
Ranked #49 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Was going to NYC for some Spring fun, and saw Kimpton's latest installment - Eventi - had recently opened. Could not resist checking out something new and cool, and we were handsomely rewarded.

Aside for the usual new hotel quirks -- things don't quite go as smoothly or quickly with new staff and a new building -- the place is phenomenal!

Interesting address not quite Chelsea, not quite Theatre District, but convenient to all. Flat Iron just a few blocks away and a straight shot in a cab down 7th to the Village and Soho.

The building is enormous -- 40+ stories, though only the lower 20+ are hotel (the other are soon to open condos)

The rooms are very cool, but typical NYC cozy. The bathrooms felt almost as big as the guest room -- which is great for a bathroom! The usual amenties, Frette LInens and bathrobes (though instead of the usual Kimpton animal print robes, these are white with animal print on the lapels and cuffs!) nice flat screen tv and some new bath amenities I had never seen - ETRO - but very much liked.

The staff is eager to please -- from Nana and Robert at the front door to the enormous gent who will hail you a cab (I think he is waiting for Giants' training camp to start) and all of the front desk team.

Got to meet many of the managers at the traditional Kimpton wine hour each night. Bert is a delightful fellow, and they are all eager to show you their impressive new hotel. The lobby living room can get a little cramped at wine hour -- especially when it rains -- but in fine weather you should steal off to the 5th floor terrace with you wine and enjoy the comfy, trendy patio furniture and taken in NYC.

There is still some construciton going on -- not so much a noise issue, but behind the hotel is an enormous, unfinished courtyard, which we were told will be a food court, with open green areas as well as a two story video screen where movies and tv can be watched from your lunch or dinner table -- interesting concept!

The fitness center was larger than most Kimpton hotels, several treadmills and cross trainers, plus free weights. For some reason the main access door is not working, but there is a second door tucked between two rest rooms.

Across the hall from the gym is a gem -- the spa. My wife and I both enjoyed massages, and the aromatherapy oils they used were just amazing. I fell asleep after 5 minutes. My wife stayed for a facial, and loved it! Best of all, as Kimpton In Touch members, we got $30 off EVERY treatment! Who knew?!?!?!

Another gem is the Cafe @ Eventi. This is just a temporary restaurant with American Cuisine until the China Grill Management eatery opens in the fall. This was one of our best meals in NYC EVER, out of possibly 100+ dinners. BBQ Chicken and Jack Cheese Dumplings -- with a little chicken wing bone sticking out instead of a toothpick. Just heaven! We are from VA, but those things they called Hominy Grit Fries were like no grits we ever experienced. They were more like cigars than fries -- but they were heaven fried!

Thought it would be hard to top the starters, but the brined, roasted 1/2 chicken was mind-altering! Last summer I had a similar dish at David Burke's Townhouse, and declared it the best chicken I had ever tasted. This made DBT seem like KFC!

If this is what they do with their temp menu, I can't wait to go back to try the official food.

Looking forward to a return visit when the food/media area are complete and the CGM restaurant. Of course, another spa visit too!

Kimpton did it again -- another fun, hip relaxed place to rest on the road!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CVilleTravelers
Write a ReviewReviews (3,488)

Reviewed June 14, 2010

Great hotel!! The place is brand new. We stayed in a king suite which was spacious and woderfully decorated. Huge bath and bedroom, 2 HD TV's, great furniture...everything about the room was perfect. Staff is also top notch. Very friendly and attentive. I asked to speak with the manager to express how happy we were with the room. Had to wait less than a minute to meet him and he was very gracious and remembered our names for the remainder of the trip. They also have a nice wine tasting every evening in their beautiful lobby. Would highly recommend thios hotel

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 10, 2010

Jumped on an introductory rate for this hotel and couldn't wait to try it out. Kimpton Hotels offer so much more than traditional chains. Check in was a breeze. We were upgraded to a 1 bedroom premier suite which included a separate living room area and entryway. Loved the modern and sophisticated decor of the rooms. Hardwood floors with nice area rugs, flatscreen tvs, fluffy bed with down pillows, wooden hangers in the closet, an electronic safe, great bedside lamps, ipod docking station, free and strong wifi (if you are a kimpton Intouch member), great accent lighting, very high ceilings, marble bathroom with separate tub and rain head shower, double vanity sink and separate toilet. Don't forget to check out the 5 th floor outdoor terrace which is gorgeous and perfect for a meeting place or party. Plenty of comfortable sitting areas and tables. Every day from 5-6pm guests can enjoy complimentary wine in the lobby area (you can take your drink to your room if you wish). They are very generous with the wine so don't be afraid to ask for more. They do have room service, but the hotel restaurant is not open just yet. As for the location of the hotel, it's on 30th and 6th ave. 4 streets from Macy's and all the shopping along 34th st. We were happy to have had a chance to stay at this new property.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelerDallasTX
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Generally, I am an All-inclusive, beach resort type of guy. I have traveled to many different countries and stayed in a wide variety of different rated hotels. This was my first extended family of 4 visit to NYC and I have to say that overall The Eventi was a great hotel. Once I arrived, the staff was extremely helpful and very friendly. I never once had an issue with any outside traffic noises from my 8th floor room. The subway was an easy 2 block walk. We arrived at the hotel at around noon and the room was ready.

Now the negative; Prior to booking any hotel, I will spend weeks if not months researching for the perfect hotel for what I need on the particular trip that I am taking. Prior to booking this hotel, I spent many weeks researching hotels in NYC to seek out rooms with 2 QUEEN BEDS. I hate pull out sofas and 2 days before my arrival, guess what happens, I received a call stating that they over booked the 2 queen bedrooms and that they were going to up-grade us to a 1 bedroom with a pull out sofa for free, which was something that I did not care for. Free is good, pull out sofas, Bad. LOL Or they were going to let me have 2 rooms with King beds for an additional $75.00 a night. Other words, because THEY screwed up, the only way that I was going to get 2 real beds to sleep on, was for me to pay for it. In all my years of traveling, this was the first time that a company told me that I was going to have to pay for their mistake. I choose the 1 bedroom suite. I was not going to spend more money for their error. Am I an isolated case or is this something that Kimpton does on a regular basis? I don't know the answer to that.

Do I recommend the Eventi? Yes I do. It was a beautiful hotel, at a great location with a friendly staff. Once I arrived and got settled, I did enjoy the room.

Will I ever again stay at a Kimpton Hotel? NOPE!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank jlmmlm
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I'm a Kimpton hotel fan. My experiences have always been very positive and the Eventi in New York is no exception.

The Eventi is a new, beautifully decorated and designed hotel with quality fittings and furnishings throughout.

It is conveniently located. A short walk to Herald square or Penn St will put you on a train that can take you uptown or downtown with ease. There are plenty of places to grab a quick bite to eat, coffee or beer nearby. For more serious shoppers, Macy's and a range of other fashion stores are an easy 5 minute walk up 6th Ave.

Kimpton hotels are always well maintained and the house staff do a great job of making your room feel fresh and new every day. As a new hotel, the Eventi makes an even bigger impression if you like a hotel that is clean and organised.

The facilities are also very impressive. There is a well equipped gym, a day spa and large outdoor balcony area that guests can share on the 5th floor with a nice view down 6th Ave. Every evening, the 5-6pm complimentary wine event makes great use of the lobby, creating a pleasant social atmosphere where guests can mingle and chat with fellow travellers.

Lastly, I must compliment the staff of the Eventi for being, without exception, friendly, courteous and extremely helpful.

Thanks for a great experience team Eventi. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank drharro
Reviewed June 5, 2010

We expect a certain avant garde with a stay at a Kimpton hotel and we were not disappointed here. We appreciated the warm welcome from the staff each time we step through the door and the luxurious bathroom and view from our 19th floor room. Everything had that shiny new car feel to it and we hope the newness doesn't wear off soon since we will be returning in early mid-July for our 20th anniversary. The handwritten note from the staff was a warm touch - well done, Eventi!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2010

Dear CAScott,

Thank you for your generous review on Eventi. I'm so glad that you found our hotel to live up to your expectations. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your guest room and the view that came with it! We look forward to seeing you again in July and celebrating your 20th anniversary!

Reviewed June 2, 2010

My partner and I booked the Eventi for 3 nights over Memorial Day weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. With this being a brand new hotel, the rates being offered were extremely reasonable. We decided to treat ourselves to a "Premier One Bedroom Suite". We got it for $399 a night, but they had standard rooms available for $260 a night. I've stayed in many hotels in NY, and I have to say that this is the best value for your money. The suite was very large, beautifully furnished, 2 large plasma TV's, super comfortable bed, and a huge marble bathroom. Truly impressive.
We ordered room service one evening and the food was very good and arrived quickly!
We checked out the gym, and it was your typical hotel gym. Not great, but sufficient for most.
The restaurant is a temporary setup, as the actual hotel restaurant is not due to open till later this year.
The hotel has a really nice terrace on the 5 floor but as of now, there is no service out there.
The hotel lacks a place to have a drink. No bar yet. I'm sure this is in the works.
They do have a sort of happy hour each day in the lobby, from 5 till 6 they serve free wine to all guests. In the morning, it's coffee. This seemed very popular with guests.
A nice touch with Kimpton hotels is that high speed internet is free for members of their loyalty program, and you get a $15 mini bar credit. Nice touches.
The one thing that REALLY stood out for us was the service. Everyone was fantastic. In particular Caroline Grass from the concierge desk was extremely helpful with shipping something to me that I'd left in my room when I checked out.
We will definitely be back to the Eventi, and look forward to experiencing the hotel when it's 100% finished.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MiamiBeachPaul

Dear MiamiBeachPaul,

Your feedback is very important to us so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am extremely pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay and got to be among the first guests to enjoy our Premier One Bedroom Suite! I'm also happy that you recieved the benefits of being a Kimpton InTouch Loyalty member and the personalized service of our staff that we want you to experience. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon!