“Cool, Hip, and Sparkling!”

Kimpton Hotel Eventi
Ranked #41 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 5, 2010

We expect a certain avant garde with a stay at a Kimpton hotel and we were not disappointed here. We appreciated the warm welcome from the staff each time we step through the door and the luxurious bathroom and view from our 19th floor room. Everything had that shiny new car feel to it and we hope the newness doesn't wear off soon since we will be returning in early mid-July for our 20th anniversary. The handwritten note from the staff was a warm touch - well done, Eventi!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2010

Dear CAScott,

Thank you for your generous review on Eventi. I'm so glad that you found our hotel to live up to your expectations. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your guest room and the view that came with it! We look forward to seeing you again in July and celebrating your 20th anniversary!

Reviewed June 2, 2010

My partner and I booked the Eventi for 3 nights over Memorial Day weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. With this being a brand new hotel, the rates being offered were extremely reasonable. We decided to treat ourselves to a "Premier One Bedroom Suite". We got it for $399 a night, but they had standard rooms available for $260 a night. I've stayed in many hotels in NY, and I have to say that this is the best value for your money. The suite was very large, beautifully furnished, 2 large plasma TV's, super comfortable bed, and a huge marble bathroom. Truly impressive.
We ordered room service one evening and the food was very good and arrived quickly!
We checked out the gym, and it was your typical hotel gym. Not great, but sufficient for most.
The restaurant is a temporary setup, as the actual hotel restaurant is not due to open till later this year.
The hotel has a really nice terrace on the 5 floor but as of now, there is no service out there.
The hotel lacks a place to have a drink. No bar yet. I'm sure this is in the works.
They do have a sort of happy hour each day in the lobby, from 5 till 6 they serve free wine to all guests. In the morning, it's coffee. This seemed very popular with guests.
A nice touch with Kimpton hotels is that high speed internet is free for members of their loyalty program, and you get a $15 mini bar credit. Nice touches.
The one thing that REALLY stood out for us was the service. Everyone was fantastic. In particular Caroline Grass from the concierge desk was extremely helpful with shipping something to me that I'd left in my room when I checked out.
We will definitely be back to the Eventi, and look forward to experiencing the hotel when it's 100% finished.

1  Thank MiamiBeachPaul

Dear MiamiBeachPaul,

Your feedback is very important to us so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am extremely pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay and got to be among the first guests to enjoy our Premier One Bedroom Suite! I'm also happy that you recieved the benefits of being a Kimpton InTouch Loyalty member and the personalized service of our staff that we want you to experience. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed June 2, 2010

We tried Eventi for one night based on a promotional rate. I had really liked the Kimpton in which I had stayed in Philadelphia, so I wanted to try Eventi. While not as polished as the Palomar in Philadelphia – Eventi had only been open a few weeks – it was still a decent choice and worth another visit.

Located at Sixth and 30th, it was located between the bustle of Times Square and the neighborhoods of lower Manhattan, not far from the PATH station and the 33rd Street subway stop (although I continue to find the New York subway system to be unnecessarily confusing).

Check in was a little ragged – we arrived early and were promised a call when the room was ready, but we never received one – but reasonably competent. The lobby was small, although nicely done, and their evening wine hour was pleasant, if not a little crowded. They have a delightful veranda on the fifth floor where you can relax outside and listen to the sounds of the city below you, but I was disappointed when they closed it at 11:00 p.m. – we had hoped to end the evening with a drink out there. The fitness room was also on the fifth floor and struck me as very small for a hotel of this size; it had only about 8 machines. The hotel’s sole ice machine was also on the fifth floor.

Our room was on the sixteenth floor. It was small – this is New York, after all – and well appointed. The bathroom was nicely done with a lot of marble and a huge shower with a teak stool in case you wanted to sit your shower out (although there was no bathtub if you want to soak after a long day of walking around). It had lights on dimmers for late at night, but the dimmed lights just went out after about an hour, so they were not much help. Towels were thick and adequate.

The room had floor-to-ceiling windows looking over the west side (it was a “City View” room). Lighting was good (dimmers again), but I especially liked the goose-necked reading lights on either side of the bed and on the chair. There was a small desk crammed in under the flat-panel high-definition television: it would not be an ideal work station, but we weren’t there on business. The mini bar was well stocked and typically expensive. The radio was a good one and had hookups for both iPods and MP3 players. The bed was firm and comfortable, and the pillows were a delight. There was a standard hotel safe in the closet, which I always appreciate, and one of the two telephones was wireless. The room had no “Do not disturb” sign, and it took me a minute to determine that there was a light switch by the door that changed the color of the room number sign as a signal to the housekeeping staff.

The room had more issues than I would expect for a new hotel. The mini bar did not lock – the key was useless – and the bathroom sink was slow in draining. The room was also supposed to have two bathrobes and there was only one: I had to call the front desk to make sure we weren’t charged when they discovered that one was missing. The bathroom had a sliding door – a nice feature in a small room – but it was already off the track and I couldn’t figure out how to get it back.

On the whole, though, we liked the hotel and we would try it again.

1  Thank Matombo
Reviewed June 2, 2010

My partner and I just stayed at the Eventi over Memorial Weekend. This was the best hotel experience we have ever had, and cannot say enough positive about it. Here is my review from the beginning.
I found the hotel a month or two ago before it opened and emailed a Kimpton representative for information several times. From that point I was provided outstanding service.
I received a great preview rate, but realized what a great deal it was after our stay considering what an awesome experience it was.
From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we received exceptional service.
Staff: The staff at this hotel is incredibly cognizant of their surroundings at all times. Not once did we have to get the door ourselves. We were greeted by every staff member each time we came and went, and they would not allow us to carry our own luggage or bags if we came back with them. Every single staff member at this hotel was friendly, attentive, courteous, and answered all questions. I was truly impressed by all of them.
The hotel: The lobby is amazing and very comfortable to just lounge in. Coffee (very good) and tea is always complimentary in the mornings, and there is the typical Kimpton wine reception from 5-6pm daily, which was great. On the 5th floor there is a roof deck that wraps around most of the building. It was so beautiful and the views were great. There are also nice common areas on the 2nd and 3rd floors, which are very nice. The hotel is gorgeous.
The room: Our room was amazing. When we arrived at the hotel our first day we were checking in at 9:30am. We did not expect to be able to check in that early. The front desk staff person advised us they had none of our King Rooms available, so she gave us a complimentary upgrade to a City view King Room. I was so grateful. That was incredible! The room had floor to ceiling windows with the most AMAZING view. The bed was incredibly comfortable. We actually slept in every day because we couldn’t get out of it. There are electrical outlets everywhere to charge all your gadgets. They are actually on nightstands and the desk, so you don’t have to plug them in a wall out of the way. Nice touch! We loved the all-marble bathroom. The shower is beautiful with two different nozzle options, a seat, and great bath products from Etro. They have a great use of space as the closets are in the wall, and the bathroom has a sliding door to close it off. We also loved the bathrobes.
This was the best hotel experience we ever had. Outstanding service, incredibly beautiful hotel with amazing rooms, and the best Kimpton staff!

1  Thank NateKinFL

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank rss36
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Whoever hired the staff at this hotel should get a raise. It wasn't just that everyone went out of their way to be helpful, friendly and fun, though they did. The best thing is that they were also thoughtful.

We had been booked at another hotel in Times Square but when an ad came for the Eventi I asked my colleagues if they wanted to try it. I was a little nervous going to a brand new hotel, especially since I had suggested it. I needn’t have worried. Every one of my colleagues has thanked me for finding such a great spot.

The rooms were lovely, the hotel itself had the usual Kimpton funky vibe. They had a great patio on the 5th floor (I can't imagine why they didn't put the restaurant there). Only a couple of complaints about the place: 1. they need more practice in the restaurant, and they were a little obsequious. Yes, I can push my own elevator button! 2. The air system in the room was loud. I had to turn it off to sleep and then it was too hot. 3. Some of my co-workers' keys kept having to be reset.

But please don't let any of these little negatives scare you off. The bed was comfy, the atmosphere was elegant, comfortable and funky all at the same time, and we were very, very well taken care of, from receiving large packages before getting there to having any little need taken care of when we were there. But the best part was just the attitude of the staff. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business