3,691 results
All reviewswine hourthe empire state buildingpenn stationraid the mini barcupcakesfloor to ceiling windowswine receptionnew yorkyoga matbottle of champagneherald squarecorner roomtimes squarerain showerone bedroom suitefront desk staffcity view
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Eventi is a good hotel, with elements of very good and some average qualities.

We stayed at Eventi for a week from 29 December. This is the third time we have visited NYC. Having stayed at the Library and Millennium hotels which are very central we felt we would like to stay in a neighbourhood in order to explore further afield. We have also stayed in other Kimpton hotels and find there is a consistency and generally a high spec within the rooms.

Prior to arrival Brenda arranged a car to pick us up from JFK and billed this to our room. This was extremely helpful as our arrival was late in the evening and the line for taxis is very long. There are a lot of illegal taxi touts hassling you too.

Brenda also provided a comprehensive list of restaurants for NYE and we were able to sample these throughout our stay.

On check in we were given a 16 floor king size room with a city view. This was wonderful, watching the changing sky and colours on the Empire State Building.

The room was of a standard we expected from Kimpton, very comfortable bed, excellent sound proofing, excellent bathroom which was large with great shower, hair dryer and mirrors. The closet was quite small. Wifi is free to everyone, we are in touch members and knew that this would be available, it is very important to us to be able to be in touch with home. Although I asked our agent to ensure the hotel had our in touch details this wasn't acknowledged.

On arrival we wanted a quick drink before going to bed. Brenda advised us that the bar was closed but could direct us to some bars a few blocks away, this wasn't great as we were incredibly tired and didn't want to go out at this time of night. So we opted for a couple of beers from the mini bar.

Breakfast was served on the second floor, we had continental breakfast included in our rate, pastries, fruit, juice and coffee. As this was very sugary we opted to pay extra for the American Buffet to get some protein! The breakfast was good, freshly prepared, lots of juice and coffee. The choice was the same each day so some days we skipped breakfast and had brunch elsewhere.

The bar was quite a disappointment. In other Kimpton hotels we have stayed in the bar and restaurant have been vibrant, a real draw for locals and travellers. Not the case here, there was no atmosphere at all, disappointing.

The wine hour was held in the restaurant, it is more suited to a lounge area, not sure why it was held here. However it was very welcome when we were able to go along!

There was the first heavy snowfall on 2/3 January and the restaurant roof began to leak, this led to the room being closed off and the tables being relocated in the bar area, making the area even less attractive. Cant help the extreme weather though and I am sure the structural issues will be dealt with.

We only ordered room service on our last day, to have coffee while we packed. The coffee never came so we cancelled it as we were about to check out. Guest services were very apologetic and phoned to say they would send it right away at no charge but this was not convenient or what would be expected. From reading other reviews this is a weakness.

Housekeeping is excellent, there is an odd system where a card is put under your door if you are in your room when the house keeper is in your area of the floor. You are required to let them know when it is convenient. We haven't experienced this before, at least it ensures the room is serviced.

We found the hotel to be in an excellent location. We walked everywhere. We really enjoyed the HighLine which took us along to Chelsea Market. It is only a few blocks from the hotel. Don't forget to keep looking back if you are walking in this direction. Going the other way up 6th Avenue you have Macys. Times Square, Central Park, MoMA all a walk away.

We were able to walk down to Greenwich Avenue, Gramercy, SoHo, Little Italy and China Town etc. If you need a cab back it's less than $10.

Some great places we ate at are Monument Lane on Greenwich Avenue for NYE, great little place with great local produce, Elephant and Castle, Greenwich Avenue for Sunday brunch, Craft, Gramercy, John Dory Oyster Bar on Broadway a couple of blocks from Eventi.

On the whole we had a great stay. Front of house staff are really friendly and helpful, although often very busy. Excellent location, room and view!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nospringchicken
HotelManagerEventi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Nospringchicken - love the handle! Thanks for the review and please know we just hi-fived Brenda for providing you such great service. Also you will be pleasantly surprised that our second floor restaurant in now being managed by a new company - so you will have to come back and check them out!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at this property during our recent trip for the US Open. This is our 4th time doing this trip for tennis and I must say this is the best hotel yet if you are going to the Open. Penn Station is around the corner for the LIRR to the tennis center, so you can walk in 5 minutes and grab the train. There was a huge projection screen in the "park" behind the hotel so we even watched the tennis matches at night from dinner in the hotel - pretty cool. Rooms were nice and clean and the staff was fabulous. Will be staying here again next year!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Suzesilb - Love that you stay with us every year for the US Open! Come and see us for the Super Bowl or the Olympics - its going to be a big party!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The Eventi NYC was a good stay. I would like to give it a "Good" rating but the only choices are "Average" or "Very Good". The rooms were small but nice and clean. The bathroom was spacious the shower was great. We checked in late in the day, just in time for the complimentary wine hour which was nice. We ate a quick meal in the restaurant and it was very good - albeit we only had burgers. The bar was nice, the staff were friendly and the hotel was conveniently located for our purposes. It was a bit on the high priced side but overall it was a good stay!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Mwardlucas,
Well we plan to see you next year for more NYE celebrations! Thanks for the review!

Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

I spent a weekend at Kimpton for a quick getaway. The hotel is so close to the Penn Station which is the main reason why I choosed it. The price wasn't too bad, I did pay extra for a Cityview but only got to saw the alley way and backside of buildings. That was a bit disappointing.

The bed was comfortable, clean, the double shower heads felt great. The room size wasn't bad for two people.

I ordered in room dining and the food was not bad. The fries were great... the portions were decent too. If you do have a gourmet bar in your room, don't go crazy and pop every bottle open... they'll charge you. I didn't know that since this was my first time booking my own hotel, but I drank two water bottles and had two packs of mints that cost me 20 bucks...

Also, I was almost double charged for my weekend stay. I paid through TripAdvisor- through a discounted site and they didn't see that when I was checking out... so they charged me an additional $530. That's a lot of money being taken from your account if you were budgeting and they didn't pay attention or asked if it was prepaid for... luckily I checked my account and noticed the extra charge... and went back and informed them... they fixed it immediately and was friendly about it so that's why I am giving them four stars.

I would go back to this hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

J_Chan_89,
Thanks for the review, and thanks for letting us solve the billing issue. We look forward to seeing more of you and yours in 2014!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

My experience at Eventi could not be described as anything more than extremely average which was very disappointing for an expensive supposed 4-star hotel with such high reviews on TripAdvisor. I've never stayed at a Kimpton before and I will definitely never stay at the Eventi again.

The hotel is in an alright location, but upon entering, the lobby is unremarkable and the service indifferent. I was annoyed that I wasn't able to accumulate any kimpton points because I booked via a third party (hotels.com) - most other hotel chains I have stayed at let you accumulate points for a stay regardless of how the room was booked. The decor is really dark and depressing and the rooms need more light. The rooms are also outdated and the furnishings clearly worn out. The bathroom was nice though and there was a view of the empire state building.

We had some issues with service at this hotel. The first was that the pillows on the bed were awful but we remembered seeing online that Eventi has a pillow menu. We called guest services found out that this was not true. They offered to send us up a foam pillow (which we prefer) but the ones brought up were not foam pillows at all. We thought it was a mistake and called back and again guest services said they would send foam pillows, which again, they did not. If foam pillows were not available, I would have appreciated guest services saying so instead of sending us more awful pillows. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were terrible. The Eventi also doesn't have ice machines, which is fine if they were prompt in bringing up ice, but they were not. It took us 3 phone calls and an hour to get a bucket of ice. For a 4-star hotel this level of service is unacceptable.

We tried the wine hour from 5-6 and found the bar area to be really depressing like the rest of the hotel. They did not have coffeemakers in the room (there was a sign saying they could bring them up, but with their service, that would probably take a few hours) and only offered coffee in the lobby till 9 AM. There is a starbucks and gregory's coffee one block down on 6th and 31st.

Overall, this hotel was not at all what I expected from the reviews on tripadvisor and their website and I was very disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jhap

jhap,
The great news is the second floor restaurant (Humphrey) is under brand new management and they have alot of exciting new items on the menu and they are poised for a great 2014. See you again soon!