“Am I just missing the point?”

Kimpton Hotel Eventi
Ranked #43 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Am I just missing the point?”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Been travelling a fair bit - I LOVE the Kimpton Brand - I go back to the Epic in Miami often, but wow was the eventi a disappointment ?

From the checking-in, where at 16:00 (4pm) I was told that my room wasn't ready, that I had a common surname(wait for it) - I left to go shopping around the corner. On my return, the chap behind the check in desk could not (a) remember my common surname and (b) forgot that he tried to check me in an hour prior!

I was later joined by the rest of our group, flying in from London. Wanting to put our feet up, and have a beer to chill out, we were told that the Bar on the 2nd floor was 'a Private Event' and as such not open. When I asked our hostess if they were running a hotel (with ammenities for guests) or a conference /events centre, it was all lost on her.

Suffice to say, we were made to sit in the lobby, tried to order a beer but the waitress (probably hired on looks and not command of the english language) could not take the order.

We got some vouchers to make up for our 'inconvenience' - worth 'a drink' each. The next night we tried to redeem them for bloody mary's - only to be told that they would not cover the cost of any cocktails - house wine only. I gave them to some wine drinking folk and left.

The rooms are OK, the hotel have no character. Better bet is to stay in the Village! His area is all commercial and devoid of what i would call the 'real New York'.

In short - Kimpton is great, the Eventi isn't! !!

Room Tip: Stay in East Village!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Calvin L
HotelManagerEventi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Calvin L,
Sure looks like with missed with you on your stay with us - sorry to read. You are right we don't currently have a bar in the lobby, but that doesn't mean we won't always...hint hint! We look forward to winning you back. Have a great rest of 2013 and we will see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (970)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I like the Kimpton brand. I like the fact that they are completely, absolutely Pet Friendly and I like the feeling that the understand that God is in the details.

We recently visited New York City on a last-minute trip, and i wanted to bring our two dogs. I made a reservation for them at the D Pet Hotel, and was pleasantly surprised to find the Eventi Hotel is two blocks away.

We were greeted warmly. Our one bedroom suite was comfortable and surprisingly (for NYC) large. I love the deep bathtub in the shower -- seems to be a Kimpton specialty (first saw this in Baltimore). We had an excellent dinner on our first night: the service was great, and the food was abundant and delicious.

The only small glitch was that they don't have ice machines, and didn't seem to have insulated ice buckets. Her Ladyship likes having ice the morning -- but is not fond of calling room service (etc.) to get it. At my suggestion the hotel sent someone out to buy a small cooler, like one you'd take on a picnic. It was a perfect solution, and kept the ice frozen for the duration of our stay.

The broadband was fast. TV's large and modern. Lots of plug sockets to charge our road warrior devices.

I have two teeny, tiny criticisms. When we checked in the bellman was more involved filling out some sort of card for the car, and left Her Ladyship to schlep the bags. I even mentioned this to him, but the form took priority over our luggage. (I also like to be vigilant with luggage on a bustling sidewalk -- lest it go walkabout.)

We checked out, but wanted to leave our baggage until later in the afternoon. The front desk told me I'd need to go back to the room with the bellman for "security reasons." I told them I was not doing this, and they arranged to (apparently) send a security guard in my place. Apparently "union rules" prohibit a bellman from going into an empty guest room. Odd rules -- I suspect it's more related to tipping rather than anything else.

Her Ladyship and I enjoyed our stay and will definitely be back to the Eventi.

Room Tip: We took advantage of the Kimpton upgrade program and were upgraded (for $95 per night) to a one bedr...
1 Thank Craig_Walsh
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

This was our second time at Eventi and I will say, they did not disappoint. The rooms feature outstanding views of the city with wall to wall windows facing the Empire State Building. The cleanliness is impeccable. Even the pipes under the sinks (yes I looked) I don't miss anything when it comes to cleanliness and neither does Eventi.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cbufis
Toronto
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I cant say enough about this hotel! Talk about anticipating a guests needs and delivering beyond expectations... this hotel is fantastic!
Quiet, comfy, fairly generous room, well-appointed.
The service is absolutely terrific! I had an emergency and needed some toiletries. A sign on the bathroom shelf welcomes you to call the front desk if you've forgotten anything and if they dont have the item, they offer to go out and purchase it for you. I took them up on this offer and within 15 minutes, my disaster was averted. After being at the US Open tennis one night, we arrived to the hotel hungry, about midnight. We felt like a NY pizza and asked the front desk who was the best company for pizza delivery. They offered to send the bell man out to pick it up for us because the best pizza they knew of, didnt deliver. It was one generous offer after another and really genuine. The bed is the most comfortable bed I've slept in any hotel I've been to anywhere in the world and the room was absolutely silent. All in all, one of the best hotel stays I've ever had- and I don't like staying in hotels! Thank you Eventi, you sure know what you're doing. Congrats to you!

1 Thank Allie H
Orlando
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We had initially planned a get-a-way and had previously booked through another hotel. But, as we got closer to our trip an emergency had us postpone our visit to the Big Apple by another week.
This made us look for another hotel to stay at, my companion had mentioned the Kimpton brand before and how much he had loved staying on their properties before, so he booked it! Although, our original hotel had a fun feel to it, the Eventi by Kimpton was total class with a chic style!
From the moment we arrived, we were greeted by a courteous and professional staff. They had a delicious iced tea and fruit infused water in the lobby, which helped our morning we spent site seeing in the city, for it was a really warm day!
By check in our room wasn't yet ready and we were advised we could wait or choose a different room, although the one they had picked out for us was worth the wait! So, we decided to wait the extra half hour and proceeded to make our way out to the lounge area. It was a warm sunny day in NYC so we, as Floridians, enjoyed the sun as relaxed on their over-sized patio couches. We had been advised of a "wine hour" that was hosted nightly from 5-6pm. Once the room was ready we were by far impressed by the views of the Empire State Building and 1 World Trade Center, and this was before the sun had set - the view was even more spectacular when night came! (Which made way for a beautiful backdrop as we snuggled in bed).
Our last day in the city was scheduled for Labor Day, but our flight was cancelled and rescheduled for Tuesday. The hotel staff was able to accommodate us and we were able to keep the same room!
Their on-site dining looked good, but we had opted for room service a couple of nights and drinks at the bar. We also utilized a few amenities - minibar, laundry/dry cleaning service. All within a reasonable cost.
The location of the hotel was very convenient to lots of local hot spots; dining, theater, shopping and tourist sites! There was always a cab available to a subway station a block or two away.
On a side note, I do love the fact that Kimpton is Pet Friendly!
As we finally left, the Front Desk/Concierge staff member wished us a safe trip home, thanked us for our visit and said he was looking forward to having us back, I guaranteed him that we certainly will!

Room Tip: Corner Suites are great!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DissectingDanny
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Chose this hotel mainly because I had just come off of 2 stays that the Kimpton Monaco in Philadelphia and wanted to keep the magic alive!! And...I was THRILLED again at the choice I made! The hotel is in an "interesting" location compared to where I usually stay in midtown. Busy streets and not the cleanest part of NYC I must say. BUT once you get inside the hotel, all things are magical. The lobby is delightfully cozy. The door guys are helpful and friendly. The front desk staff was efficient and nice. I want to shout out to Juan (please let that be his name...) the concierge. He was not only cute, but great personality! Helpful too! We stayed in the executive suite which was great! The little sitting area was helpful to spread out a little- The mini bar was stocked with just the right stuff and as an In touch member, we could raid it up to $15! And once again...it was VERY HARD to get out of their UBER COMFY beds!!! We paid extra for getting a higher floor and it was worth it-the views were PERFECT! The outside communal area (public access but can bring drinks etc. outside from the restaurant downstairs) was absolutely unusual- Mixing with the locals (and in this area...that means...interesting) and watching the US OPEN on the BIG tv ! We also went up to the bar/restaurant upstairs and ate and watched as well- NEVER had such a cool, unusual experience! A BIG BIG thank you to Dwayne (Brighton bar tender) and Julia (hostess with the most-ess upstairs)! They were playful and fun but very professional too!!! Made our nights fun! Great service!! We used the bikes they provide for guests to go to central park- it was a bit dicey through the streets of NY but it was a GREAT experience! Wouldn't have done it otherwise but the cool bikes were right there..daring us to try it...so we did! After surviving the ride we got a massage at the spa. Art was just SUPER! Softest hand EVER! I can't say enough about our experience there and WILL RETURN! Kimpton just has it down..in my opinion! Thank you for helping us make GREAT memories!

Room Tip: The suites have a bit more room and a higher floor allows for the view
Green Features: very recycling friendly. Like the notes throughout hotel about their practices.
2 Thank ANN S
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 4, 2013

As usual another perfect example of why Kimpton properties are my destination of choice. If you find yourself in NYC and want a first class experience on a modest budget then check yourself into the Eventi and have fun.

The hotel is a stones throw from the Empire State building, within walking distance to anything that you want and it’s staffed by the famous Kimpton cult people who are overboard eager to help and make your stay wonderful.

The rooms are modern, bright and clean. The restaurant/bar which are located on the second floor is a great place for a late night drink or meal.

On my stay I was actually shocked at the $229 per night price which was about $200 less than what I expected to pay. Go figure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mark N
HotelManagerEventi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Mark N,
Boom - we love those 5 star review - thanks so much! We did have some great summer deal this year, so thanks for joining us - Hope to see more of you.