“Great Hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Eventi
Ranked #49 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Fantastic hotel with very helpful staff. Loved the wine reception with the cheese. Room was very large for an NYC hotel. Slight issue was that my card got charged but the hotel have refunded it with little hassle. Would fulll recommend this very chic hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,488)

Reviewed January 18, 2013

My husband's birthday always gets lost in the holiday madness, as his birthday is 3 days after Christmas, along with his mom-in-law, and niece/goddaughter!! This year was a special one for him, so the kids and I surprised him with a night out in NYC, taking the long trek from NJ (lol) to see the sights, sounds and magic of the city during Christmas week..We took our 4 kids with us (much to his disappointment (haha) and got the penthouse (adjoining) suite on the top floor of the Eventi. WE HAD A BLAST! First the parking garage was right downstairs, had a walkway almost right to the front door of the lobby. Check-in was a breeze, we were invited/reminded of the 'Wine Time' on the 2nd floor at 4:00 PM, which we thoroughly enjoyed. Complimentary wine, cheese and crackers, jazz duo for our listening pleasure, met so many people from all over.. a movie playing on the side building across the street as we sat relaxing on couches in the atrium or at the very cool bar... It was fantastic. The view in our room was magnificent, the master bedroom had floor to ceiling glass, the kids spent about 1/2 hour just sitting there, looking out at the city. Later, a bottle of wine and cupcakes were delivered to our door... what an awesome surprise! The luxurious beds and baths were so wonderful... small book lights attached with bendables to the wall, little attention like that... beautiful plush robes hanging in the closet. The rooms were immaculate, well stocked with everything (awesome mini bar) you could ever need and just had a cool vibe... Nothing like anywhere we've ever stayed!! The Empire State Building was lit up red and green, sat by the elevators just staring at it... wonderful dinner out... Next morning, my husband forgot his razor, quick phone call to the front desk, razor at our door within minutes!! Complimentary continental breakfast offered downstairs the next morning, (however the lure of the McDonald's a block away were too much for the kids (can you say Hotcakes!?!) The kids LOVED their Mickey D's and Mom and Dad enjoyed the Continental! Then we took full advantage of lounging around our beautiful suite, and have to say that the "late" check-out (12:00 Noon) was sooo appreciated! Free wi-fi, all cable channels, turn-down service with 2 boxes of delicious chocolates. Heaven!

The front desk personnel were exceptional, helped with silly questions, helped with dinner reservations, etc. The staff at the Eventi went above and beyond, at all times. All so helpful, professional, courteous and always smiling with a 'HAPPY HOLIDAYS greeting'! The lobby was cool, intimate with the gas fireplace in the corner with small couches.

Upon check-out, I mentioned that we were heading over to the Empire State Building, and was thrilled to be handed VIP passes, which gives a discount and a slight cut in the line!!!
Unbelievable cool, FIRST CLASS hotel, the attention to detail was phenomenal, pet friendly, (KID friendly! lol) far enuf away from the craziness but walking distance to Times Square, Broadway, etc. Can't wait to go back... Have such incredible pictures and will always cherish the memories made that night!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My first time staying at a Kimpton in NY (I have stayed at ones in Boston and Chicago - Chicago being my favorite Kimpton to date) and I do have to say that this hotel pleasantly surprised me. It was pretty spacious as hotels go in NY and not in the middle of times square which is a zoo. The front desk staff were always pleasant and welcomed you - great touches that you come to appreciate in Kimpton Hotels. The room was very nice and I had a view of the Empire State Building. Decor is close to that of a W Hotel, too - not completely, but trendy enough that you would appreciate it. Bed was comfy, toiletries (etro) always solid, and if you're a Kimpton member, I was treated to $15 credit of items in the snack bar in my room.

Here's the bad/good part of my stay: my room was not cleaned adequately by the housekeeping staff. Here's how: the water bottle from previous guest was sitting on the desk when I entered, the Etro toiletries that they used were still in the shower stall along with the cover of a razor blade in there, the soap they used was still in the soap dish (seriously gross), and a bottle of skin serum from previous guest, and their power cord for cell phone (see pics). I mean, come on, that's pretty hefty stuff to ignore, right? I even told the Front Desk that this oversight gives me pause as to the actual cleanliness of the entire room, let alone the bathroom. She had the bed remade (I think!). And she sent up a fruit plate and 2 bottles of water. Nice touch to give me some confidence back.

However, the housekeeping staff only brought more toiletries and left everything else from the previous guest. Really? I called again - they apologized even more and gave me a $50 credit for room service. Ok, that's better. They brought more toiletries and 2 more bars of soap. Um, not what I wanted but I took them. They made up for it by leaving a bottle of wine for me when I returned later that evening.

Bottom line: I would definitely stay here again despite this mishap. And my elegant and picky colleague is hosting a private party for her daughter here so that also gives another vote of approval for this property. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Request a room with King bed (Premiere room) and view of the Empire State. I was in room 1617.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Irene W
Reviewed January 17, 2013

So my wife and I were having a lovely Saturday in Manhattan. Dropped our teenage son at a friend's house in the West 90's for an overnight and then spent hours wandering toward downtown. Window shopping. Noshing. Just having a great day. Thought about going home to Connecticut but had the great idea of turning the day into a romantic evening. Out came the phone. Went onto Hotels.com and booked a room at a hotel in Chelsea. (Not the Eventi.)

Spent the rest of the evening enjoying ourselves and made our way to the hotel near midnight. "I am sorry. Hotels.com has been sending us people all day, but we have been booked solid for a while.

At the risk of turning this into a diatribe against Hotels.com (and Expedia.com, of which it is a part)... The nice man at the Hyatt got the Hotels.com people on the phone. We asked for a solution. They sent us to the Eventi, which was only a block away. We got there and they were awesome!! So welcoming. So professional. So amazing.

And then it got weird. NOT EVENTI's fault. Hotels.com's credit card was denied. The folks at Eventi were amazing. It took until a ridiculous hour to get the registration done, but they made it as painless as possible. The room was great and they sent up a bottle of wine for my wife's birthday (which it was when the day began, anyway).

A great day was almost ruined and the Eventi staff saved it. Thanks Eventi! Can;t wait to go back!

Room Tip: Oops. Didn't use the pool. Can't uncheck it.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank IraJWise
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We have stayed many places in NYC and it is easy to get lost in the shuffle. Most hotels are completely impersonal and do not recognize you. This is the opposite! My husband had business in the city so we wanted to join him and bring the dog. What a great choice. They actually welcome dogs at this hotel! Our room had a dog bed and a food bowl just for her. The room was big enough (can't ask for much more in NYC) for the two of us, a five year old and the dog. The staff is friendly and personal. Always quick to chat with you about your plans and how your stay is going. My five year old daughter was delighted with the kid sized robe. What a simple touch to make the stay extra special. And the rainfall shower... we all loved it. They upgraded us with no problem to a high room facing the empire state building. Don't get turned off by the fact that the hotel accepts pets, the rooms are immaculate. The door man was very helpful in hailing a cab that would ick me up with my daughter and the dog. :) We'll be back next year for the conference! The restaurant to the tight of the hotel (when you face the street) has a theater in the back that plays free movies or big games. You can get your food and sit and watch the show! We loved the clam chowder and the lobster roll. Quick dog walkng tip: Make a left out of hotel and walk one block to starbucks. Cross street so you are on same side as bux and make a left. There is a tree with a decent sized area of mulch that the dog can use.

Room Tip: Ask for high and facing the Empire State Building. Our room on the 17th was very quiet. Quick dog w...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I've stay at the Eventi twice for business. It is a nice hotel near Broadway, but not in the craziness of all the noise and lights.

The hotel lobby is tiny, not much action or interest. The services are hidden, but I think they have a restaurant and gym, but couldn't see them anywhere. The hotel staff is friendly and accommodating.

The rooms are okay. Beds are very clean and comfortable. The lighting in the rooms is VERY poor. Bathrooms are nice sized, modern, and well appointed. The air-handling system is noisy and disrupted my sleep throughout the night.

The price of this hotel varies considerably based on what's going on in NYC. Sometimes, the hotel booking rate is very reasonable (for NY standards), and other times, it's crazy expensive. One thing that bugged me with my reservation, is the $100 charge they hit my debit card with upon check in. They labeled the charge as a refundable reservation fee, and said it was customary in NYC (I don't think so). They gave the $100 back to me when I checked out, but why did they hit my debit card with a charge at check in? I've never heard of a NYC hotel doing that.

For me, the hotel is convenient to my client, so if the price is right, I will probably return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HotelManagerEventi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

motherbored,
Thanks for your recent review, and for staying with us multiple times. We did want to clarify the $100 per night authorization that you mentioned. When checking into our hotel our system holds an authorization of $100 per night on the credit card you swipe at check-in. Essentially this allots for any room service, mini-bar, parking, spa, or any charges that you may incur while an overnight guest. In your case it sounds like you used a debit card and most debit cards when swiped actually show this as a charge, when in reality it is truly just an authorization on our end. Regardless, we are sorry for the confusion and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

From the moment we stepped into the lobby after arriving on an early morning train, this hotel made our weekend get-away to NYC unforgettable. Patrick greeted us with a warm welcome and made us feel at home instantly. He also surprised us with an upgrade and champagne in our room to celebrate a 35th birthday, which was above and beyond, and is well-representative of the Kimpton brand of hotels. We saw Patrick throughout the weekend and he was always quick to ask how our stay was going. I can't say enough for the caring folks at this hotel, Patrick in particular, for helping us make a weekend get-away so worthwhile. Thank you Eventi and your staff for helping two busy working parents enjoy a weekend respite.

Room Tip: Recommend paying extra for top floors.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple