“Great hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Eventi
Ranked #40 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed at the Eventi Kimpton Hotel for 7 nights at the end of November. We would recommend this hotel.

The hotel staff are very helpful and provided us with local tips for eating and drinking in the area. There is also good security at the hotel as in the evening there was always a security guard on the door.

The hotel room was a decent size, very clean and the bed was very comfortable. However, we did find the lighting in our room a little dark. The air conditioning was good, especially as it was cold during our stay. It was also nice that we were able to open the windows for some fresh air if needed. The bathroom was well appointed.

If you require a quiet room, I would recommend asking for a room at the back of the hotel. Even though you do not get the skyline view of the Empire State building, you will have a better night's sleep as 6th Avenue is always busy with traffic.

The location of the hotel is great - close to the Empire State building, shops and the subway. Most things are within a short walk if you do not want to use public transport. There are also numerous bars and restaurants nearby - particularly in the Flatiron district.

If you are a Kimpton In Touch member you receive free wifi for your stay and also a $15 gift card to use in the mini-bar.

The wine hour is a nice bonus, however, we only went once. The hotel also offers complimentary tea and coffee in the lobby area in the morning - personally, we would have preferred a coffee machine/tea station in our room.

Overall a great stay at a great hotel.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerEventi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

DizzyBlondeSydney,
Hey thanks for the detailed review and mostly thanks for staying with us for seven nights! We look forward to being of service during your next trip to NYC.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I am currently staying at the Eventi during an adventurous business trip that's taking me from California, to Texas to DC and back again to New York.
Having spent much of the past 2 years on the road worldwide I can honestly say that the service I have received here has been above and beyond. Nothing is too much trouble... A rare and precious commodity to the well worn traveller... In one word... exceptional :)

• Stayed: December 2012

Sam_Ollerton,
Thank you so much! That is high praise from such a veteran traveler such as you. We hope you get a break this holiday season and we hope to be your only choice of hotel when you return to NYC. Happy Holidays.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

We recently stayed at the eventi New York and what an amazing time it made our vacation and we would definitely stay again and highly recommend this hotel. This was an early birthday present for my 40th and I so want to return. Before arrival I had emailed through booking.com that we were staying for a special occasion.
From the moment we walked through the door everything was 100%.. You are greeted by many smiley happy staff members.
We checked in to be told we had been upgraded to top floor amazing room.
We went up to our room on 23rd floor it was a corner room views of Empire State Building next to us and Statue of Liberty afar.. We wer thrilled.. That excited by the view we overlooked the bottle of champagne and cupcakes left for us with s note. What a lovely surprise. Thank you Patrick.
The bed was so comfortable the bathroom large and brilliant. Whole room was amazingly clean and comfortable was just like being at home maybe better. The maid was very friendly.
Staff were always very friendly and helpful nothing too much trouble.
The free wine hour 5-6pm every day was excellent, wine, cheese & biscuits and a way of meeting other travellers which we did.
10 min walk to Times Square, 20 mins to Central Park, t mins to subway. We actually walked from Staten Island ferry point in battery park round Wall Street and 911 tribute site and then back to eventi was a great way to explore lower manhattan. This hotel is in a prime location. Macy's is also only 5 mins away walking.
Subways are easy and so cheap so they should be used to.m we actually used train and subway back to JFK airport so easy and so so unbelievable cheap.
All in all the Eventi hotel made our holiday thank you.
Would like to return.
Terri Halpenny

Room Tip: Top floor city view
Reviewed December 4, 2012

When flooding from hurricane Sandy forced me to evacuate my lower Manhattan apartment, I had a latenight, last minute search for a hotel in Manhattan (difficult) that would also allow me to bring my two 60lb dogs (virtually impossible), and not spend $700+ per night to do so. After much searching with AmEx emergency services (Great job from them as well), The Eventi showed up as the only practical option.

I travel frequently and I often stay at Kimpton properties because I like their unique designs. I am low-maintenance when I'm on the road and it is rare that the performance of the staff has any significant impact on my stay. After a harrowing five days of urban camping in my powerless and waterless apartment, the Eventi staff took us all in like family, and made the world seem safe and normal again.

Patrick, Gabriella , and I wish I could remember everyone's names, but suffice it to say that the entire desk and valet staff were phenomenal. Robert, the GM, has pulled together a special group of people. They greeted us warmly and played with our dogs. The next morning, staff that we hadn't even met knew the names of the animals and would greet them by name when I took them out for walks. They offered treats. They even remebered that one dog likes her head scratched and the other one likes his butt scratched. They helped us with dry cleaning and laundry. The housekeeping staff were excellent and had the room spotlessly clean every day - even the fur was gone. When I had to bring a cat from my apartment because she was ill, a filled litter pan and a small bag of cat food was waiting outside the room door when I returned (I never even thought to ask for one). Our menagerie ended up staying for eight days until we confirmed that we would not be able to return to our apartment for several months, and we relocated out of State to stay with family. One night, I was bringing back pizza to eat in the room (from Waldie's - an excellent pie). The doorman saw the box and said "Aha! You discovered Waldie's. Their pizza is fantastic". A few minutes later, we were all sharing the pizza in the lobby and laughing and telling stories around the front desk like we had all been friends since college.

As for the room: Beautiful. Quite subdued by Kimpton standards, with lots of dark wood and chocolate tones. Very contemporary and elegant. Terrific bed, sheets and pillows. And the bathroom has a killer huge shower with multiple shower heads.

Of particular note to those who travel with their animals: You know how most hotels have "pet friendly" rooms that the hundreds of pets have gotten waaaay too friendly with? Yeah, THAT smell. The room at the Eventi showed absolutely no evidence of odor or dirt or scratches on the doors. it was a perfectly beautiful room that became our home for a week.

Obviously, hurricane Sandy will be an unforgettable event in my life. However, neither will the professionalism and true kindness shown by the Eventi staff be forgotten. We all thank you so much!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the northeast corner have some views of the Empire State Building. Northwest corner rooms...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just recently had a single night stay at the Eventi. The hotel and room were meticulously clean and well maintained, which is always my first priority. Location is great, close to subway stops and walking distance to Penn station. Location is of course subjective in NYC, depending on where you need to be.

We stayed in a city-view king on the 18th floor. Spectacular views, our room faced east so we had an excellent view of the Empire State Building. Road noise was reasonable during the day and practically non-existent at night with the blinds drawn. HVAC noise was of course present but within a reasonable level. Room was perfectly clean, great condition, and quite sizable by city standards. Bathroom was spacious, modern and functional. My only complaint with the entire property was with the bed. I prefer a really firm mattress and this one was a bit soft for my liking. Actually seemed like the topper could use replacing. That being said we slept fine, pillows and linens were nice.

We ate breakfast and dinner in the restaurant and the food was very good. Culinary choices are plentiful in NYC but it’s nice to know that you can also get quality food without leaving the hotel. There’s also a free wine hour in the late afternoon which my wife took advantage of, she commented that it was a great opportunity to meet other travelers.

The staff were friendly and attentive. We arrived at around 11AM expecting to just drop off our luggage but they had a room available so we were able to check in immediately. The day we checked out it was raining so I asked the staff were I could get an umbrella. They said we could use the one from the room, even though we were checking out, and to just return it before we left the city. These are just little things that make the stay more enjoyable.

Great hotel, great stay, would highly recommend.

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at the Eventi many times and have always been extremely happy with it. The staff are welcoming, helpful, and friendly. I'm a member of the Kimpton loyalty program and booked my stay as part of their birthday-month discount. I was pleasantly surprised to find champagne and chocolates (excellent ones!) in my room wishing me a happy birthday.
The neighborhood isn't the most interesting in NYC but it is safe enough and is very convenient to Chelsea and downtown. And being right on 6th Ave, it's also very easy to get a cab uptown. The quick taxi ride to or from Grand Central is only about $5.
One of the best things about the location is that it's only a few blocks from the High Line park, which is a great way to take a walk downtown.
The rooms are always clean and comfortable and are of generous size for New York.
Bottom line: I recommend it highly and will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Whenever we stay in a major US city, we stay at a Kimpton. They are friendly, clean, comfortable, have all the convenient amenities, and great deals. Eventi in NYC was no exception, although the water was not refilled during the day, there was a free wine-based happy hour, a pleasant way to meet other travelers and to relax after a day of sightseeing, which for us, is mostly walking. This Kimpton is conveniently located. It was an easy walk to Union Square, the public library (in the opposite direction), Central Park, etc. We found our deal through Sneakaway. If you are looking for a place to stay in NY, you might want to check them out. Our bill was about half the usual price.

Room Tip: We had a lovely nighttime view of the city. I would suggest asking for an upper floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family