“Modern, great location NY hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Eventi
Ranked #41 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Geneva
“Modern, great location NY hotel”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I stayed here for 5 days on business and this was a fantastic find. For a NY hotel I was delighted to find the rooms were a very good size. The hotel is modern and fresh with tons of amenities including a spa and fitness center. The breakfast is excellent and served on this wonderful little conservatory/terrace. The location in Chelsea is within walking distance to shops, Madison square garden, Harold square etc.

If I had to change 1 thing, it would have been the lighting in the room. It's a bit dark. The bathroom also had a very yellowish tinged lighting that made it hard to apply make-up well.

My only other complaint was the prices of the spa services. Living in Geneva, Switzerland I expect to pay a fortune for spa, food, etc, but I paid $200 for an 80 minute massage (then add another $40 for the 20% tip which is like a mandatory in the US) which seemed crazy for the US, and especially for NY when there are so many options. I sucked it up to the convenience of having it done in the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Adrienne S
HotelManagerEventi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Adrienne P,
Thanks for yoru recent review and the 5 stars! We loved having you with us and can't wait to see you again. Great news is we are addressing our bathroom lighting, so that will be rectified soon. Thanks for the feedback and have a lovely summer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (971)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Lyman, South Carolina
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We recently spent three nights in a 20th floor premium king suite with our granddaughter. The view was spectacular--the Empire State Building was right in front of us. The room was large and comfortable, with a living room/fold-out sofa-bed room separated from the master bedroom and bath by a heavy pocket door. The marble bathroom also had a heavy pocket door, double sinks, and a wet room set-up with a jacuzzi tub/rain and hand-held shower combination. The toilet was in a separate room. The bed was extremely comfortable, with soft linens.

We didn't take advantage of the wine tasting hour or morning coffee, but it was nice to know they were available. We did eat breakfast in the restaurant our last morning, and the food was fine. I was surprised that the prices were in line with the local restaurant we had been walking to every other morning. The room is bright, an atrium overlooking a patio with local video artists' work looping on an adjacent wall.

We walked nearly everywhere from the Eventi, but we're pretty serious walkers. We had no problem walking to 54th street to Studio 54, or to Macy's or Times Square or Madison Square Park or Pier 83. We had tickets for the hop on/hop off bus and used them once. The traffic was so snarled we got off and walked--faster than the bus.

What sets the Eventi above most hotels is the customer service. Every Kimpton we've stayed in offers great customer service and personal attention, but the staff at the Eventi seemed even more committed to our comfort and happiness than the others. Marco and Clyde, especially, made us feel warmly welcome and gave us good advice. I was glad we joined the Kimpton In Touch Loyalty program; we were given in-room bar credit and spa credit, and each night we spend in a Kimpton gets us closer to a free stay.

If I could give Eventi a 4.99, I probably would, simply for two minor reasons. The lights in the room didn't reach to all the places I would have liked; it was tough to see inside the fridge, for instance. And while the temperature was easy to adjust, the humidity wasn't. That's probably beyond the hotel's ability to control, though--and we were there at the hottest, most humid time of the year.

All in all, Eventi is the best hotel we've found in NYC. It's pricey, but it's worth the price for the security, the comfort, the customer service, and the location. We highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Higher is better for views, of course.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed here for three nights in June with the primary purpose being a day at the Belmont Stakes.

We booked a one bedroom suite and were glad we did. The extra space gave us more room to move than normal, and being on a high floor, with floor to ceiling windows gave us great views over Manhattan.

Location couldn't be faulted just two blocks or so down from Macey's, and an easy walk in either direction to Greenwich Village and Times Square.
Coming back from Belmont Park on the Long Island rail-road on Saturday night was a breeze as the train came directly into Penn Station... also close by to the hotel.

As many mention, the wine evening is a winner. It's also value added at the Eventi and differs to most other Kimpton's we've stayed as they provide cheese, biscuits, and other nibblies.

Ahhh... did I mention the great Kimpton coffee every morning!

Eventi is definitely our choice in NYC.

Room Tip: Request a high floor for views over the Empire State Building.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank baliliving
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My bestie and I stayed at this hotel and we were pleasantly surprised! We took a red eye flight out of Los Angeles on a Thursday night and arrived very early in New York. We were expecting to drop off our bags with the front desk and go exploring for a few hours on little sleep. Much to our surprise they informed us that they had a room ready and that we would be receiving a room upgrade! Hallelujah. We were going to be able to take a quick nap and a shower before we headed out in the big city. We got to the room and had a fantastic view of the Empire State Building and a sea of yellow taxi's below. Beautiful. Rooms were clean and the bathrooms are big. I couldn't help myself but sit on the edge of the bed and stare out at the beautiful view every morning as I drank my morning cup o' joe! I will definitely stay here again as the staff were great and very attentive to our needs and the hotel is walking distance to everywhere or there is a subway station just outside the hotel. Thank you Eventi...I hope I'm able to see you again soon!!

• Stayed May 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 27, 2012

If the price were a little lower, I'd probably rate this property "excellent" but it's often somewhat steep - which is why I've only stayed here once. That said, it's a super cool joint - very modern and nice rooms (though smaller than expected) with comfy beds. Slept better here (noise level) than other hotels in the vicinity. Staff is friendly and very helpful. Location is excellent, especially if you are going to MSG (and/or traveling into Penn Station). Good subway access. If you need wireless, be sure to join Kimpton's guest program and you'll be comped. Would definitely return if the rate is reasonable.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I am a Production Manager for a major network television show. I housed about 30 crew and cast in the Eventi for about 3 weeks while shooting in NYC. We also set up our production and technical offices there as well. Before stepping foot in the Eventi, I was nervous that, because they are very upscale, my crew would feel out of place or would somehow be treated less than kindly because we were constantly hauling gear thru their exquisite lobby. My negative preconception couldn't have been further from the truth. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like family. It only took only a day or so before most of the staff knew us by our first names. The rooms were immaculate and the beds were super comfy. Almost everyone on my crew mentioned to me at one point or another how they were going to invest in down bedding once they get home because they've never slept this well in there lives. The location was great too. But the real key to this hotel's success is the management team's desire to please their guests. There positive attitude and friendly demeanor is reflected well in their fantastic staff. If you are a production shooting in NYC, I highly recommend checking out the Eventi. Underground garage parking for your production minivans is a big plus too. Very reasonably priced monthly passes that give you in and out privileges. For those of you in production, you know how important this is.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ChuckJames
Perth W.A
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Stayed five nights last month.booked a corner room but view from eighth floor was not fantastic, though did see the top of Empire State Building lit up at night which was impressive for our first visit to NY.Room was spacious, bed exceedingly comfotable, though only one armchair in the corner with a reading light attached and plugged into a socket so was difficult to move. Only other chair was a desk chair and no coffee table,so despite having booked a room with a view to enjoy with a drink it was not so relaxing.
Lighting in the bedroom and bathroom, and also in the restrooms was dull, perhaps creating some ambience but not so funcional.
Overall the hotel was pleasant and staff helpful if approached but the it felt a bit sterile.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple