“Great Hotel but Poor Service”

Trump SoHo New York
Ranked #130 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 31, 2010

We stayed at the hotel over Christmas and we were also one of the victims of a cancelled flight due to the blizzard. The rooms are large with plenty of space. The views were amazing with total room control through the tv or by switches next to the main door. The bathroom is very spacious. The location is great if you want to stay away from the large crowds but still be in the middle of everything.

We did not have very good luck with the service at the hotel. When we asked for places to eat, the first words out were the hotel restaurant and then a list of places were rattled off without a location or even the type of food. We were then hung up on. This happened twice.

Once the blizzard hit and everyone was stuck in NYC, we were given a extension on our hotel for one night. When we learned we could not get a flight for two more days, we asked to have our room extended. One of the receptionist said that we could do it and work out a rate. We later went back to discuss the rate and were told that they would only let us stay if we paid a rate of $200 more a night. While I realize that they had other people coming into town because of new years, the attitude was more about money then helping the customers.

Needless to say, we changed hotels and had a great time while we were stranded.

2  Thank Amp_98
TrumpS0H0NYC, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2011

Dear Amp_98,

We appreciate your feedback about your holiday stay. The blizzard provided opportunities for most of us in the travel sector. Your comments about the concierge service have been noted. Like most hotels, room rates vary by availability and demand. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed December 30, 2010

Our stay at the Trump Soho was both relaxing and enjoyable. Although there was a blizzard outside and the staff was exceptionally busy the service was excellent and all the employees did whatever needed to be done to make our stay pleasant. The room was clean and quiet, and the bed was the most comfortable we've had in any hotel. With a blizzard outside we decided to order room service. We were very impressed with the service, presentation and quality of the food. Without a doubt we will be back to stay at the Trump Soho.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
TrumpS0H0NYC, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2011

Dear Pepper1229,

Thank you very much. Bad weather conditions always pose a challenge to a hotel’s operation and I am so delighted that you felt that our team was able to deliver. Hope to see you on a sunny day next time!

Reviewed December 30, 2010

I stayed in the new Trumph Soho last weekend and got a beautiful corner room with floor to ceiling windows. What a great view! Everything had that crisp new high tech feel with power curtains and dimmer lighting. The room and bathroom were huge for NY! I loved the big walk in shower with the rain forest shower head. I went and checked out 3 other hotels in the area. All of them had smaller rooms and bathrooms. There was a really cool "Library" on the mezzanine floor where people could hang out. In the morning they served hot drinks and pastries. I also used the business center which had complimentary internet access. I was able to print my boarding card there. The staff was always available and helpful. The Trumph Soho was definitely the best choice for that area of the city!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo

Dear kwallDallas,

Thank you very much. I am so glad you enjoyed our room features and public spaces. We appreciate your comments about the team. Thanks for selecting us as the best hotel in the neighborhood! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 29, 2010

great locations,huge rooms,high level of prsonal service...they anticipated every need! cant wait to return

Dear richlester,

Thank you. I love to hear that we anticipated your every need - that is one of our team’s mottos! We look forward to your return.

Reviewed December 29, 2010

In New York, if you want to stay at a famous place like The Plaza Hotel, go ahead - you'll get a fancy lobby, tepid service, and average rooms (unless you've got tons of money and are staying in a mega-suite). I don't mind paying big bucks for a hotel experience, but I want to feel like I got my money's worth. Trump SoHo adequately delivered.

Rooms were a 10. Just amazing - clean, ultra-contemporary, luxuriously appointed, with an amazing view of the skyline (if you're on the correct side of the hotel, and opt for the higher-up rooms at a small surcharge). I never heard another guest, a testimony to the solid building. I stayed in a mini-suite on the corner of a high floor (an upgrade at check-in), but I feel I would have enjoyed the standard room.

Hotel was in a great location - near a bunch of subway stops, Spring Street's eclectic shopping boutiques (go see Evolution on Spring Street). Just a 3 minute walk from Balthazar restaurant - where they served the best waffle I've ever eaten. Back at the hotel, the "Library" lounge was a great place to chill after a long day (or in my case, to warm up after the biizzard of Christmas 2010).

Staff was very gracious and attentive, and really wanted to please you. Example: the front desk guy mailed a postcard and didn't nickel-and-dime me for a stamp when I was fumbling with my wallet to buy one. The barman in the "Library" left a trail of smoke behind him when my pregnant wife asked for a glass of water. The bartender was pleasant, attentive, even when buried alive with business. Front desk was very responsive with directions.

The only negative thing was this: for the money, you'd expect there to be more available outside the rooms. The sauna in the spa was not available to guests without an unreasonable fee. The really hip pool area should be open even in winter: it would be a great touch. Great Netspresso machines in the room, but no coffee cups. Restaurant was a bomb - my meat was a patty of gristle and the wine pours were low-filled. And upon check-in, I found that my last 2 days were priced $200 over what I had been quoted on the internet. I resolved the issue - that's how I got my suite upgrade. And finally, there were lots of little "missing" elements that for $300+ a night, should have been present.

In summary: outstanding place to sleep, and the location can't be beat. Staff is attentive, even if "The Donald" installed bronze sinks he could boast of, at the expense of an extra bartender or cups in the room. The hotel gives you just enough service to feel refreshed enough in the morning to leave the hotel and dash off to your favorite museum. Overall, I'd recommend this hotel to friends, but I wouldn't rave about it. Then again, I have yet to find a hotel in New York that was worth visiting all by itself. If you want a hotel that refreshes you, but doesn't compete for your attention with the rest of what New York has to offer, this is it.

Dear Travelfuhrer,

Thank you for your detailed review. I understand that your experience in Quattro and The Library were less than perfect. I have brought this to the attention of my Food and Beverage team. We appreciate our guest’s comments about seasonal services such as the pool deck. Yours are duly noted.

Reviewed December 28, 2010

I brought my 16, 17, 18 and 20 year olds here for a Christmas shopping trip. We loved every minute of our stay here. The room-a two bedroom suite-was fabulous and the view.....gorgeous! From the very beginning, when I booked the room through the 800 number, everyone we spoke/dealt with were courteous, friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Service, for the most part, was impeccable; from the housekeeping staff to the front desk, to the bellmen, to the doormen. The only reason I say "for the most part" was because our one encounter with room service-a pot of coffee for three-was not good. She said she'd expedite that but after 30 minutes, I call to check on it and was told it was on its way--15 minutes later it arrived, with only two cups. Really not a big deal and certainly a tiny, tiny glitch in an otherwise fantastic stay.

The beds are very comfortable and we utilized the pull-out couch which they made up just as luxuriously as the regular beds. And no bed bugs! The lack of a bathroom door in the one bedroom is just strange. They do have a sliding door that separates the bedroom from the living area, but it's not substantial by any means and the glass swing door for the toilet is not either. So, be very comfortable with whomever you are staying with because they most certainly will get an earful if a situation arises during your stay! The rain shower head was a nice touch that we all enjoyed and I gave the sleep quality a three only because the walls are super thin and you can hear every single thing going on in the hallways and the rooms next door. Fortunately, one of our bedrooms was on the corner and so two of us were insulated; the other room was more vulnerable to outside noise.

It is located right on the edge of Soho. Take a right out of the hotel onto Spring, walk a couple of blocks and you are right in with all the shops and restaurants. Very good location.

I think the pricing on the rooms is more than fair, especially for the quality of service and accommodation. Room service is very expensive and they tack on a mandatory gratuity and fee. We didn't eat in the restaurants, so I have no input on quality of food and service there.

Overall, fabulous. We have already booked for our next visit in January. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

Dear sew333,

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I am delighted that you had a great stay with us and appreciate your understanding about the coffee delivery that you mentioned. I will follow-up with the In Room Dining team. We do have rooms available with bathroom doors and I have noted this preference for your future visits. Looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed December 28, 2010

One of the nicest places we've stayed at in NYC; great views of midtown (that you can't get when you are in midtown), convenient to Holland Tunnel, great areas to walk around nearby - Soho, the Village, Chinatown; Beautiful rooms

Dear kgesqs,

Thank you. Glad you chose to stay downtown with us, especially for the views! See you again soon.