“Luxury in a great location”

Trump SoHo New York
Ranked #118 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Lexington, South Carolina
“Luxury in a great location”
Reviewed December 24, 2010

We just returned from a wonderful trip in New York City, and decided to stay near the Village this time. We usually stay in mid-town but wanted to get to know another area of the City.

The Trump SoHo is a relatively new hotel, April 2010, and it received very high ratings here on TripAdvisor. Our stay was fabulous. We were on the 34th floor with a view of the Empire State building and the east bridges. The view was magical. We were in room 3411. The bed was also amazing! The location was perfect, as the C&E subway was a 5-minute walk, and this took us just about everywhere else in town that we wanted to go.

The only negative I can think of is the lack of drawers to put your smaller clothing in. There were two small closets with hangers, and a small shelf where you could stack your smaller things. The room was huge for NY standards. The room had a king bed, full-size sofa, coffee table, desk/work area, large flat screen TV, large bathroom and separate tub and shower. I loved the Nespresso machine; a real treat!

We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant the last day and the service was really impressive. The food was good too. We will definitely consider staying here again if the price is right. We did receive a fairly good rate for NY pre-Christmas. Also, the neighborhood has everything you need within walking distance; shopping, restaurants, and has a real neighborhood feel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
TrumpS0H0NYC, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
Dear grandtraveler,

Thank you! I am delighted that you decided to explore another part of Manhattan and stay with us. I will share your kind compliments about the food and service with the Quattro team. We hope to see you again soon.

David Chase, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (821)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Florida
Reviewed December 24, 2010

Stayed 4 nights in early December with my wife for a combo business/fun trip. My meetings were in midtown but we wanted a change of scenery. We had their basic superior guest room and the bathroom was larger than some rooms I've had in the city. Location is great, lots of good restaurants nearby, easy subway access, & plenty of shopping.

The staff at every turn was excellent. Doormen remembered our names & made us feel at home, front desk folks were genuine, housekeeping very friendly and helpful.

On our second night there was a fire alarm at ~3 AM and most of the guests evacuated to the lobby. While this doesn't sound like a fun experience, even that wasn't so bad. The overnight staff on duty made sure to keep everyone informed as to what was going on and made several passes through handing out water.

My only complaint was that there was only one coffee cup in the room and it took a call and then a visit to the front desk to finally get a second one sent up. It shouldn't have taken that much effort for something that the housekeeping staff should notice and remedy.

All in all this was our best hotel experience in NY and the only place I've stayed to which I would return.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Dear renicksc,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am delighted that you chose to stay downtown with us even though you had meetings in midtown – sounds like more fun to me too! We appreciate your comments about the team. I will follow-up with the Housekeeping Manager about the coffee cup you mentioned. See you on your return to NYC!

Sacramento, California
Reviewed December 23, 2010

I read every review on this hotel before selecting it. It was not cheap but it was worth the price. It's brand new which is a huge bonus. After reading some negative reviews I had a few concerns which turned out not to be a problem at all. We were upgraded to a nicer room. The bed was very comfortable and we slept 'til noon every day. We could not hear the neighbors at all. We had a bathroom door. The tub was huge. We never had a problem getting a cab. The location was great. What a nice feeling after fighting the crowds to come back down to the peace and quite of Soho. Lots of great bars and restaurants in walking distance. Two blocks to the subway, Starbucks across the street. The room was huge for New York standards. The room was very clean and the espresso machine and remote for the lights took about 5 seconds to master. Housekeeping brought us an extra robe, ironing board, iron, and lint brush not problem. If you need something just ask and they will get it for you. They even got us tickets for Wicked day of in the 10th row orchestra which made our whole trip. We did not eat at the restaurant. It was busy every night and the room service was great. This is the first time I have ever taken the time to write a review after using trip advisor for years. This place is great don’t hesitate to stay here.

Dear ninejp,

Thank you very much for your confidence in us. It sounds like you thoroughly researched your stay and I am delighted that we were able to meet your expectations. We appreciate that your first Trip Advisor review was for us. See you again soon!

Kind regards,
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2010

Starting with the positives - great room, an oblique view of the Empire State, fabulous bed and the location was excellent with lots of very cool off the beaten track bars and restaurants nearby.

BUT.... the ambience of the place was a little strange..a hotel but not a hotel (door staff, v. discrete reception staff, uninviting and limited communal areas) and the noise from next door's TV was exceptionally loud as the walls were paper thin). The disinterested front of house staff I complained to claimed that he had never heard this before (but a fellow guest checking out at the same time concurred). There was an offer of a far inferior room and no follow up when I declined their offer!
Basically, we had a great time in NY but this place kind of took the shine off our stay, but I felt compelled to write this - I expected much better service (and soundproofing!) for a hotel with these rates.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
TrumpS0H0NYC, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Dear Douglebatch,

Thank you for sharing your comments. I am disappointed that you felt that your experience was less than perfect. Our communal spaces, like The Library, were designed to be inviting and warm where one can read or order evening drinks. I will follow-up with our front desk agents about the response to the soundproofing issue you experienced.

Kind regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 21, 2010

Not having ever stayed at a Trump property, I wasn't sure if this hotel would be a match for me. (Honestly I picked it for location and price.) That curious question was answered the moment I stepped out of the cab and the doormen greeted me in such a lovely, polite manner. (Like is this the usually gruff New City!!) This pleasant greeting was extended to the reception desk where my friend and I were treated with a big smile, utter respect and concern. We were also offered a mini towel to freshen our hands and face. Having never stayed there before, the receptionist, who did not know us, upgraded us to a one bedroom suite! We celebrated in the lounge with a glas of champagne, ordering something light from the bar menu. Delicious! Opening the door to the room was an amazing surprise! It was incredibly roomy! We had a huge full bath and another roomy half bathroom, a mini bar and Nespresso machine and all the cool mini-bar snacks one could ever imagine. Beautiful decorating (including a $6000 Fendi setee), electric shades, a very comfortable bed and a gorgeous view of the Empire State Building sealed the deal. But there's more...We needed a razor and within seconds three apeared. The price was competitive for so much more! For sure this is my new SoHo hotel. I am only sorry we did not stay long enough to enjoy all the amenities the hotel offered. For sure, next time we look forward to staying longer.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Beliza1947,

Thank you very much. I am delighted that you felt that Trump SoHo was a great “match” for you. We look forward to your next stay!

Tampa, FL
Reviewed December 17, 2010

I travel a lot, including to NYC where I have probably made >50 trips. Before staying at the Trump Soho I couldn't explain/didn't really understand what the difference between a 5 star and 4 star property is. And that's despite having stayed at nice properties in NYC, Vegas, Napa & Sonoma, Florida, Europe, assorted islands. Many of those properties were quite nice - very appealing locations, pleasant and efficient staff, sometimes spectacular lobbies.

But, in addition to having all of the above going for it, at least for me, what made the Trump stand out was the quality of the materials used in the room. I know that sounds silly, but when you are staying in the room it has an accumulating effect - every design touch and every material on every surface - the quality and attention to detail rival anything I have ever experienced. It makes an impression on you that somehow feels more refined than any other hotel I've stayed at.

Now, does that mean the difference is sufficient to pay a big premium over a 4 star hotel? That is another question entirely, and one that depends on a lot of other factors (and it so happens we stumbled upon a discounted rate when we booked). But the Trump is simply the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at. I don't know what more I can say but that.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear doughboy41,

Thank you very much. Much thought was given to the design and ambiance of the hotel and it pleases me greatly to learn that the quality made such a positive impression on you. We hope you will stay with us again soon!

Boston
Reviewed December 13, 2010

Based on prior positive reviews ,traveled down from Boston this past Saturday to celebrate our 31st wedding anniversary. Wine and chocolate covered strawberries were promised as a celebratory amenity. Never received. Booked a one bedroom deluxe suite over two months ago requesting a north side Empire State /city view. Ended up with a Hudson River/New Jersey view with an apologetic bottle of wine, which again was never received. Hotel and restaurant (Quattro)were void of any holiday decorations, other than the wreathe over the lobby entrance. On our way out to dinner, waited over 30 minutes for a taxi to arrive. Bellman stood in the street interesection in an attempt to flag down any available ride for us. No taxi que in front of the hotel whatsoever, which a guest would normally expect from this caliber of hotel. We just made our dinner reservation. Overall, quite an underwhelming and disappointing experience. Upon checkout we were offered a future upgrade for any inconveniences. Stayed at the Palace on our last visit to the city. In my estimation, Trump Soho does not hold a candle to its service or customer relations.

1 Thank Rozydozy
Dear Rozydozy,

Thank you for again bringing to our attention our service opportunities. I appreciate that you have your choice of hotels when traveling and understand that your stay was less than perfect. We hope you received the flowers that were sent to your home.