“Great Hotel for NYC”

Ranked #116 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Paris
“Great Hotel for NYC”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Just returning from a ten-day stay in NYC at the Trump Soho. We usually stay at The London NYC when we visit, so the Trump Soho was a first for us. Overall we had a great stay. Nothing amazing about it but the hotel definitely lives up to its 5 star standard. Here’s a quick summary of what I liked and disliked:

PROS:

1) ROOMS: we upgraded to one of the "Premier Rooms" located between the 30th and 34th floor of the hotel. We definitely recommend those (you have 4 categories of rooms each located on specific floors of the hotel). The Premier Rooms have a spectacular view over the city with huge "bay windows". The bed was extremely comfortable but the comforter a little small for 2 people. The electronic equipment in the room was okay -- nothing extraordinary (flat screen TV, iPhone docket station, Nespresso coffee machine, etc.). You have no free WiFi in the room, which I thought was sort of greedy considering the high-priced nature of this hotel (Wifi is approximately 15$ a day, 34$ for 3 days and around 70$ for a week). Also worth noticing is that the room is fairly spacious considering NYC standards with a HUGE bathroom.

2) SERVICE: the staff was cordial and professional, which is the only thing you can really ask from these guys in my opinion. The staff is not overly friendly but is definitely customer-service driven. We ordered in-room dining a few times and the food was delicious and promptly delivered too. No complaints there.

3) LOCATION: You are right in the heart of SoHo (do I really need to elaborate on this one?). Plus, you have plenty of cabs always passing by the hotel so getting a cab quickly is never an issue if you need one.

CONS:

1) THE GYM: are you kidding me?? How you can actually call that ridiculous closet a "gym" with a straight face beats me. It is basically a 10m2 room with one glass, 5 cardio equipments, a few dumbells and that's it. Come on guys, this is NYC I am sure you can do better than that. It’s the smallest most poorly equipped gym I have EVER seen in any decent hotel I have been to. For those who are staying at the Trump for more than just a couple of days, you are better off getting a visitor's pass in one of the many gyms in the hotel area.

2) THE OVERALL PRICE RANGE OF THE ROOMS: The Trump Soho is expensive. No need to beat around the bush here. And that's okay I personally don't mind (I mean, as a customer you cannot target a luxury hotel and then expect to get off easy when it comes to spending that dough). But when you pay that much for a room you rightfully expect everything to be really amazing and "perfect" sort of speaking. The Trump Soho is on the higher end of most 5 star hotels in NYC when it comes to the price tag. So, as a hotel, when you are playing it THAT elitist on the fees you should make sure to play it equally exclusive on the overall performance. And that simply wasn't the case here. But Trump Soho is still one of the best hotels in NYC.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
TrumpNYCSoHo, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Digba,
Thank you for sharing your 10 day stay review with us. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the views from your premiere suite. Thank you for mentioning our wonderful staff as well. Please note the Fitness Center is currently undergoing renovation and is expected to add more weight equipment and machines. I hope to welcome you back on your next trip to NYC.

Andreas Oberoi.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Central Islip, New York
Reviewed January 6, 2014

There is no denying that Trump SoHo is an upscale hotel but I was not overly impressed. They do provide all of the standard amenities which you would expect at a place of this caliber, however, for the price of an upper floor room, I have come to expect more. The rooms are not decorated all that well, there is no jacuzzi in the bathroom and the charges for any extras are downright ludicrous. The staff is friendly and welcoming but again this is to be expected at a high end hotel. I just love visiting NYC but really dislike overpaying for a room with a view...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank SJKK77
Dear SJKK77,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Trump SoHo. I appreciate all your feedback as we continuously strive to improve and better our hotel and services. I hope top have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This was third time I stayed here. The hotel is ok and location is wonderful I realized tho on this third trip that I did not enjoy that much.

There is a library bar that is small and uncomfortable so if you want to sit outside your room and relax there really is no place The lobby is rather chilly and they do not serve there. I had a suite with a beautiful view Bathrooms are nice. However, the suite was all beige from walls to couch to floor The Decoration was a bit depressing. The staff is very very nice. The breakfast in the restaurant was not good. They did try but need a good morning chef

It's sister hotel Trump Intl on CPW is better. I think if they redid lobby and also made a Good bar/ library it would help

Room Tip: Always ask for hi floor with a view
1 Thank Summ111
Dear Summ111,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations, in regards to the decor and wall color in the guestrooms. I would be happy to discuss your stay personally with you, and can be reached at GMaoberoi@trumphotels.com or 212-842-5527. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed for one night in May, lot of commotion when we arrived and it took several minutes to get bell services to help. Check in appeared to be ok, since we only had the one night they tried to make it a little special with an upgrade. The room was ready yet, so we decided to go for a walk, we didn't but 2 blocks from the hotel and the phone rings asking us to come back. There seemed to be a problem with the room and it would not be ready for quite awhile. We said that's ok, what else do you have and it matters where the tub is, since that was why I chose the hotel. A room was found right away on the upper floors, it was perfect. Quickly unpacked and headed out to do a little shopping and site seeing. When we came back had a lot of trouble with the room key, not 1, not 2, but 3 trips down the elevator, finally got maintenance to fix it. Love the bed, I want one in my house.....the bathtub was so relaxing and ohh the view!! Hotel staff was very efficient to correct the small hiccups. Love The hotel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sabrina813,
Thank you for sharing your review. I'm glad to hear overall you had a good stay but do apologize for the small hiccups you experienced as this is certainly not the norm here. All your feedback is being reviewed and thank you for sharing that with us. I hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to NYC.

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have a family tradition of coming to NYC after Christmas. We wanted to learn about the lower part of Manhattan so we decided to stay at the Trump Soho. What really irked me is that we were paying $675/room and we were nickled and dimed to death on services. Instead of the sauna and steam room being included for all guests, it was only available IF you got a spa service. The spa services were more expensive then comparable hotels. To get a little protein included with our conplimentary breakfast, we paid $15/egg. The waiters seem like they were hired that morning out of a jobless lineup. They had to be asked to fill your coffee, bring silverware that should be on the table, bring the toast that they forgot in the kitchen. I'm not sure what Trump is paying for the morning restaurant staff but it must be as little as is legal. The in-house restaurant called "Koi" was delicious but the portions are tiny. The $15/day wireless internet charge was unreasonable by NYC standards. The mini bar was $52 for a Sprite and an Evian water. Being nickled and dimed to death by services has a very Donald Trump feel to it. So if you don't mind this, let me tell you the positive aspects of the hotel.

The rooms are very comfortable and well-appointed.
The view from the 40th floor was breathtaking.
The beds were extremely comfortable.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sabinashelby
Dear sabinashelby,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations, in regards to the prices of our spa and restaurant. I would be happy to discuss your stay personally with you, and can be reached at GMaoberoi@trumphotels.com or 212-842-5527. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

North Canton, Ohio
Reviewed December 31, 2013

This hotel is where it's at in NYC. Can't beat it! I've stayed in other luxury hotels in NYC and none of them compare to the Trump SoHo. The rooms were a great size, the bathrooms were AMAZING -- with spectacular views. And the bed were like sleeping on a cloud. The service was wonderful as well -- everyone calling you by name and there to help at any given moment. If I could rate this hotel higher, I would in a heartbeat.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear kpiero,
Thank you for sharing your stay experience. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the views in the bathroom and had a comfortable cloud-like experience on our beds. Your feedback is valuable and always appreciated. I hope to welcome you back on your next trip to NYC.

Andreas Oberoi.
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We booked this somewhat last minute thru Amex Platinum for a weekend just prior to Christmas, so expected a high rate for not much in return. We were so pleased to be greated so nicely by Mo at reception. Because of the Fine Hotel & Resort Program We were given an early check-in, a double upgrade on the room and late checkout (4:00 on Sunday) plus we got a $100 spa credit and complimentary breakfast. While the rate wasn't cheap, it certainly was a great value for what was provided!

We were given a room on a high floor, river view (think it was 4106). Very quiet even though it was a Saturday night. The room needs a little minor repair work, mostly touch ups in the decor, but overall lovely. Super comfortable bed & bedding. Luxurious modern bath. Excellent concierge service.

Breakfast was offered either in the room or the restaurant. While the Continental was part of the package they offered to let us just pay the difference if we wanted a full Breakfast.. But I couldn't imagine how anyone could be unhappy with what was available at the buffet-beautiful fresh baked breads & baked goods, hot oatmeal with all the toppings, a huge assortment of perfect berries & fruit, yoghurt, etc. the waiter explained that they also include salmon & fresh juice & coffee which he would provide on request. So unless you're desperate for eggs, how could anyone not be happy? Again, excellent service.

Had a wonderful spa experience as well, though the spa does need some repairs (missing shower nobs). Overall, an excellent experience though. I had a fantastic facial with Serena & will be back for more!

Room Tip: If you have a platinum card you won't have to worry! Ask for a high floor with a view of the ri...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
TrumpNYCSoHo, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Lcquinn,
Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear you had a great stay and enjoyed all the amenities the hotel offered. Thank you for all of your valuable feedback and I will be sure to share them with the appropriate departments. I hope to welcome you back to NY soon.