“Was completely underwhelmed!”

Trump SoHo New York
Ranked #131 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 17, 2013

My husband brought me here this past weekend for a 40th Birthday Celebration. Because I am pregnant he thought it would be the perfect place to go for great atmosphere, food and spa. Upon arrival we were impressed, the woman at the front desk was beyond friendly and kind. After learning I was pregnant she offered a body pillow to be delivered to my room so that my sleep was more comfortable which is definitely was. Friday night upon returning to the hotel after dinner, we went upstairs to The LIbrary. My husband ordered 2 glasses of wine and I had sparkling water. We got our bill and there was a 20% gratuity included in the total, at the bottom of the page it had a gratuity breakdown, 18%, 20%, etc. My husband asked the server why there was a gratuity on such a small bill and she said that was just the way her manager does it. I felt that was very tacky and told her that it's a shame because we would have given her more but since our hand was forced, oh well!

The spa was very relaxing, we got a couples massage and my husband who usually doesn't enjoy them LOVED it!

The bellman were the worst I have seen. I cannot tell you how many times I (being 7 months pregnant) had to open the extremely heavy doors myself while they just stood there. We would return to the hotel and they wouldn't open the taxi doors or the heavy hotel doors.

My nephew stays in this hotel often, has been upgraded to the Penthouse because of his frequent stays, and I was expecting so much more. Although we loved the location, the bed and the spa....we most likely will not return.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 26th floor and had beautiful views.
1  Thank Jeannebill
TrumpNYCSoHo, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear Jeannebill,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations in regards to your experience in The Library and the heavy front doors. I would be happy to discuss your stay personally with you, and can be reached at GMaoberoi@trumphotels.com or 212-842-5527. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Andreas Oberoi

Write a ReviewReviews (3,163)

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I have stayed at Trump Hotels before and am a Trump Card member but was so disappointed by this specific hotel. The room, although very clean, was outdated and VERY well worn. Lots of wear and tear of furniture, bed frame, bathroom fixtures etc. The towels with crunchy and had lose strings hanging off them (looked like a dog had chewed it). The T.V. in the washroom didn't work and when I checked to see if it was plugged in I noticed an awful lot of dust. There was no hair dryer provided. The shower ran boiling hot and then freezing cold. The tea provided looked as though it had been there for years and after I used one tea bag a new one was not provided for the next day. There was nothing available to stir my tea with. The next items are out of control for the hotel but it was very noisy with street noise and our neighbours decided to wake up and speak loudly at 5:45 am. Even the seasonal arrangement at the front desk was looking worn with yellowing cedar branches that limply hung from a large vase. The breakfast was less than impressive with the scrambled eggs being compressed into an odd cylinder shape and the sausages being overdone. Overall, I was so disappointed with this hotel. I was expecting what I had seen in other Trump hotels which is attention to detail and superb quality. I do have to say that the staff were, as usual, amazing. They were friendly, attentive and available. The door men especially where kind and helpful. So, I will not stay at this particular hotel again and will be careful to do more research on future stays at Trump Hotels. Luckily the rest of New York did not let me down so my Christmas in the city was not ruined.

1  Thank esheridan

Dear esheridan,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I would be happy to discuss your stay personally with you, and can be reached at GMaoberoi@trumphotels.com or 212-842-5527. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel three times since it opened a few years ago and have never been disappointed. The staff are extremely professional and accommodating. You really feel like a "guest". The rooms are well appointed, and very clean and well maintained. You can't beat the location on Spring St. - close to shopping and restaurants. We can't wait for our next visit!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear TorontoMark1961,
Thank you for sharing your review. I am pleased to hear you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed the shopping and restaurants in SoHo. I will share your nice comment with our staff and look forward to your next visit.

Best ,

Reviewed December 14, 2013

My husband and I were in the city for my birthday. I called at the last minute, and was able to get one of my preferred rooms a corner suite, a "10 room" which has sweeping views of the city and rivers. The beds are comfortable, the room is large, there is even an amazing view from the tub! I especially love the doormen at this hotel, they are beyond helpful, and the hotel driver is so nice. The room service breakfast arrives in about 1/2 hour and is decent although the oatmeal is pretty horrible. Mornings are made better by the inclusion of a nesspresso machine in every room. This stay was lovely, except I do have to say the room was not as clean as it should have been, the tile was in need of a scrub in the shower. I have stayed at this Hotel 10 times. And out of those 10 I have had 2 bad stays.

Room Tip: Any 10 room above the 25th floor will give you a view of the Empire State building, they are corner...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear livingontheriver,
Thank you for sharing your review on your recent stay and providing valuable feedback to us. Your feedback always helps us strive to improve, so it is greatly appreciated. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the views from your room and you like the Nespresso machine. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Star in a room with view, We looked over Hudson River and loved it. Very nice and friendly staff. Minor scratches and signs of use at furnitures.
If you like to sleep on hard surface, you need to inform the hotel beforehand. Beds are quite soft.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Ernst Magnus N,
Thank you for sharing your review. I am happy to hear you had an overall good stay with us and enjoyed the views of the Hudson River. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights on business in early December.

The pros:

- Well designed and reasonably large rooms (by New York standards).
- Nice & easy to use touch lighting system in the room.
- Comfortable beds.
- Friendly & helpful front desk staff.

The Cons

- There is no real focal point in the hotel, with no bar to speak of (just the library which is tiny), so the hotel lacks atmosphere and feels somewhat soulless.
- The walls between rooms are paper thin, so you can hear the TV and conversation in neighbouring rooms all too clearly.
- Wifi should be complimentary to all, given the relatively high room rates.

I'll try somewhere else in the neighbourhood next time. As a matter of principle, I wouldn't stay again until WiFi was made complimentary to all (irrespective of booking route). I deducted one star for that and another for the poor room soundproofing. That may seem harsh, but in this price bracket you are judged by high standards.

Room Tip: As anywhere in New York, the higher the better to avoid road noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
TrumpNYCSoHo, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Snudge08,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased to hear you had a good stay overall and enjoyed our comfortable beds, spacious rooms and our friendly staff. Please note, we do offer complimentary wifi when booked through our website at the best available rate. We also offer complimentary wifi in our Business Center. Please feel free to contact me directly on your next booking. I can be reached at GMaoberoi@trumphotels.com or 212-842-5527.

Andreas Oberoi.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

From check-in to check-out the staff was 100% friendly and professional -- A+! We were upgraded at no cost to a wonderful 23rd floor corner suite with a breath-taking view of the city. Everything -- prompt room service, extensive amenities, comfortable furnishings, beautiful linens, excellent lighting, etc -- was first-rate. Though not particularly our style, the hotel decor is impressive. Overall, an excellent experience!

1  Thank Pinotpress

Dear Pinotpress,
Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am thrilled to see you had a great stay and will share you review with our staff. I am glad you enjoyed the views from your room and the comfortable furnishings. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to NYC.

Andreas Oberoi.