“Good, but with a few tweaks it could be great”

Trump SoHo New York
Ranked #132 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel, and for the most part I was very pleased. The hotel is very sleek and modern and the staff are very helpful and friendly. The location is great and is an easy walk to shopping and restaurants in Soho and the Village. The hotel is near the entrance to the Holland tunnel so there is significant street noise (my room was on the 18th floor and still pretty noisy - earplugs would be helpful).

The room was very spacious and nicely appointed and the bathroom was quite large.

A few negatives:

There was no full-length mirror in the room. The only mirror is the one over the vanity in the bathroom.

Speaking of the bathroom - it is quite large and could easily have been fitted with a double vanity, instead there is just one sink.

But the biggest negative is the $15/day charge for internet access. Really? At $600/night why not just include it in the room rate? I have stayed in significantly less expensive hotels where wifi was included in the room rate. And to make it worse, the signal was very weak and I was constantly dropped. I asked for, and received a refund at check-out.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
TrumpNYCSoHo, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear CaliforniaLori,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I'm glad you enjoyed the location of the hotel and the spacious guestroom and bathroom. We do offer complimentary wifi if your reservation is booked directly through the hotel. We also offer complimentary wifi in the business center. I appreciate your valuable feedback and hope to welcome you back to Trump SoHo soon.

There are newer reviews for Trump SoHo New York

Reviewed October 16, 2013

First the good stuff:
* The customer service is superb. I know this because within the first 10 minutes of being there, I was visited by the head of housekeeping. (See first item under "Disappointing Stuff")

* The view from my room was spectacular. I was on the 28th floor and had a full water view.

Now the disappointing stuff:
* Upon entering my room, I went into the bathroom to wash my hands and found that the hand soap had already been used. Its wrapper was discarded in the waste bin and the soap had very clearly already been used a couple of times.

* The shower stall leaked all over the floor. So much so that I used all of the extra towels to keep the water from spreading too far.

* The crisp white duvet had a 6" long black mark right at the top of the duvet.

* The cute little pre-sealed packet of Q-tips in the bathroom contained a Q-tip that had quite obviously already been used. The head of housekeeping agreed this was a puzzler, since the package was still sealed. But if Trump SoHo is going to charge ~$600/night, I think someone should have caught that before putting in a guest room.

* I ordered a "Kitchen Sink" burger with sweet potato fries and a sparkling water. And for the grand price of $52, the burger was dry and flavorless and the shoestring sweet potato fries were soggy. At least the water was, indeed, sparkling.

* I was there for a conference and the steps leading to the panelist's platform (only two steps since the platform was a low one), had the carpeting taped down with WHITE tape! The carpet and stair frames were black. Really?? There was no black electrical tape to be found anywhere instead of the white tape??

* This last bit is just a pet peeve of mine. I firmly believe that all establishments that serve food and consider themselves to be "superior" or "luxury," should have available black cloth napkins. The white napkins leave visible lint all over dark clothing. At a business conference, there's bound to be a sea of dark suits. After each meal we had laps sporting a layer of white lint. Lovely.

Unfortunately, for the prices charged by Trump SoHo, I found the quality left a bit to be desired. Unlikely I'd stay there again unless the nightly rate fell closer to $325 - $350/night.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Marcella B
TrumpNYCSoHo, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear Marcella B,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations in regards to the condition of your bathroom and your experience at your conference. I would be happy to discuss your stay personally with you, and can be reached at GMaoberoi@trumphotels.com or 212-842-5527. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Andreas Oberoi

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went to NYC for summer vacation. This hotel has the best location (not far away from bar - party area). The price is not expensive compare with location. Good service but one day the breakfast deliverer 15 mins later. Everything is really good here with good view.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear rzliu,
Thank you for sharing your stay experience with us. I'm happy to hear you and your wife enjoyed your summer vacation and the views from your guest room and our speedy In-Room Dining service. I hope to welcome you and your wife back on your next vacation in NY.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

For me it is THE best in NY. Located in the heart of Soho, it is one of the rare or maybe the only high rise in this neighborhood and it offers an amazing view on Manhattan even from the bathtub!! Rooms are spacious, modern, and comfortable. Closets tend to be small but I found this to be a minor inconvenience. You are walking distance from a huge choice of restaurants and trendy upscale shops, from Meatpacking, Tribeca and Chinatown. Cullen the concierge did an amazing job making our wishes come true. The spa is rather average but honestly, this is not what you come for. Expect to see celebrities, in any case you feel like being one in this hotel.

Room Tip: Chose higher floors to benefit from the view (total of about 45 floors).
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Tanmouss,
Thank you for sharing your review on your recent stay at Trump SoHo. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay especially our views in the room and bathroom. Thank you for recognizing Cullen our Concierge, I will be sure to share this review with him. I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Good:
As it was an annaversary trip it was very nice of the hotel to provide a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberrys!
Service is fantastic
Location is excellent with 2 metro stations on the doorstep and Soho a short walk away
Room was very nice with everything you'd expect and we were'nt disturbed by noise
Gym was well equiped and the business centre had pc's that you could use and print from (free)

The Bad:
Bed was too soft for our liking
At $500-$600 per night its hard to justify value for money but I guess that's just Manhatten

Room Tip: Get in touch with the hotel before travelling and put in a request for a particular room. If you...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Seraph101,
Thank you for sharing your experience on your recent stay. I pleased to hear you had a great anniversary stay with us and enjoyed the amenities throughout the hotel. In regards to your bedding preferences, we can always adjust and accommodate to your needs for every stay. Please feel free to reach out to me directly when booking your next stay at GMaoberoi@trumphotels.com

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I can say that I so fondly remember at the Trump Soho this summer. We were treated well, and in some ways like family. The room and view were divine. The staff (at least most of them) went over the top to make us feel welcome. Kudos to the front desk staff who went above and beyond to accommodate us during a very stressful time for our family. The valet staff catered to us and in truth I felt like a "celebrity" (I am not) the whole time we stayed there.
The lobby is understated but divinely elegant at the same time and is wonderful to "come home to" after a day in a frenetic city.
One caveat I might add is that while the front desk and other staff made my child feel like royalty, there was a slight feeling of not fitting in when we visited the pool area. In that way the hotel may lend itself more to couples or singles-although the management does go out of their way to make you feel welcome.
All in all I have to say I LOVE this hotel. And truth be told I am not a big fan of Soho (an uptown girl)....but I would stay at this spectacular hotel again in a minute.

Room Tip: If you can do it, get a room with a view of the water...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear mbnewport,
Thank you for sharing your review during your summer stay at Trump SoHo. I am happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your "celebrity-like" vacation. Your feedback is greatly appreciate and I hope to welcome you and your family back to your next vacation in NY.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

No doubt it is a really nice hotel. The rooms are specious and clean, the small touches of pampering that I love: fresh bottle of water at night next to the bed, the coffee machine, the nice shower, the friendly staff, the beautiful view, but.
But I would expect more.
It was my husbands 40st birthday surprise journey, and I wanted it to be just perfect, so I called and emailed numerous times to make sure they had all of our preferences right, and to make sure they knew we'll arrive a little early after a long international flight, so that they'll have our room ready just in time.
A room was ready, but as we specifically asked for a room with a bathroom door (god only knows what this new fashion is all about, leaving the bath/toilets area unclosed...), we had to wait for the right room to be ready. It was already after check in time, and we still hadn't had a room. For that they had reduced the room price for the 1st night by 150$ (which was very nice indeed).
The beds are MUCH too soft for my taste, as if you sink in, and then cannot really move. I think the bed is one of the main reasons why I am searching for a new place AWS.
The shower seems really good, but I would not give it an A, it has the 'almost' syndrome. Almost new, almost right, but something was not quite right (and I admit - I do have really high standards, but I can be satisfied when it is precise).
The Wi-Fi wasn't free for our amazement, only in the business centre, which I find quite weird for a hotel in this standard.
The location is also almost perfect! Soho is so relaxed and quiet as oppose to the hustle and bustle of the city, it was a nice relief to arrive there at night. The subway station is really close. But the Crosby street hotel has a little better location just inside the very heart of soho.
Breakfast was too basic for my opinion, which also was below standard for a 5* hotel like this.
We did get some lovely mini cupcakes for my husband’s birthday, which was really nice!
All in all, I'm not sure I'll be back, hope to find a better alternative, and tough it was more than ok, it was Definitely less than Perfect.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor room with view to the north. If you'd like a view also from the bath - you...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Liat R,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations in regards to your bedding preferences. We do offer complimentary wifi in our rooms when booked directly through our website. In addition, we offer complimentary wifi in our business center. I would be happy to discuss your stay personally with you, and can be reached at GMaoberoi@trumphotels.com or 212-842-5527. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Andreas Oberoi