“Customer service excellence”

Ranked #132 of 468 Hotels in New York City
australia
“Customer service excellence”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This review is long overdue as we stayed at Trump Soho for nine nights in the middle of August. We booked a standard room but upgraded to a one bedroom suite as the bathroom is open plan and there was no door. There were three of us from Australia and we had a really wonderful stay partly due to the amazing service at this property. We were lucky enough to meet Gaby on the front desk whose genuine warmth and hospitality is hard to find anywhere. We really felt that she went above and beyond in order to make our stay special.
The property in itself is very nice and in my opinion you cannot beat the location. The pool service is great, the gym never crowded and the doormen are also very helpful. Why would you want to stay anywhere else in NYC! Cannot wait to return. Thanks again Gaby.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Indi7
TrumpNYCSoHo, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear indi7

Thank you for sharing your feedback at the Trump SoHo. I appreciate your kind comments about our doormen and Gaby and will be sure they are recognized. I look forward to your return visit and please let me know if I can be of assistance with any future arrangements.

Andreas Oberoi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (824)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed at Trump Soho last May so this review is coming a bit late. Stayed in a one-bedroom suite, because of the layout the living area was quite spacious but the bedroom a bit small although the views were amazing so no complaints there. Traveled with my husband and our 4 month old daughter, the hotel was surprisingly family friendly. Breakfast was at their small cafe and it was nice and quiet so perfect to bring along our baby (who was always sleeping then). Service was excellent and efficient and always very friendly. Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear junebug75

Thank you for staying with us at the Trump SoHo. I appreciate you sharing your family’s experience and thank you for the nice comments about our staff. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

This truly is a fantastic hotel. Great room and great location. However it is let down by a terrible billing system that caused issues for us on checkout and others who were checking out at the same time. We had disputes over a number of items that were double billed etc and even billed after we checked out. Beware.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank VWSydney
Dear VWSydney

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Trump SoHo. I am happy to hear that overall you had a fantastic stay with us and enjoyed your room and our downtown location. I would be happy to discuss any billing concerns personally with you, and can be reached at GMaoberoi@trumphotels.com or 212-842-5527.

Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 15, 2012

In general, I've been very happy with my stays at Trump Soho. The hotel is clean, the rooms are comfortable and the service in the past has been generally great. I'd have to agree with some others that the service was not quite as great as it had been on my first few visits, but still better than many NY hotels. I had quite a long wait at check-in this time, and the desk clerks didn't seem as attuned to that as you might expect, but otherwise, a very positive experience.

Food quality is very good, rooms are stylish and modern, amenities are very good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank stephb20
TrumpNYCSoHo, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear stephb20

Thank you for staying with us again at the Trump SoHo. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback regarding your wait time to check in. I look forward to welcoming you back and please let me know if I can be of assistance with any future arrangements.

Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This was our 3rd visit to Trump Soho since it opened 3 years ago. They missed the mark in customer service in a few areas this time, and my expectations are quite high now for this hotel, since we had incredible experiences here previously.

Missed the 100% customer service mark, as follows: 1) I waited at check-in for almost 5 minutes until someone waited on me. Only one other guest was at the desk with a receptionist. We checked in around 2pm. 2) After she came out from the back we began the check in process and I let her know that this was our 3rd visit. They did not have that in the record, and she seemed to note it. I mentioned we received a thank-you bottle of wine last time, and if they still did something like that, to please make the thank you gift either fruit or flowers as we do not drink wine. She did not really comment, and we received nothing. 3) They have these cute little freshener towelettes behind the desk to welcome guests. I have yet to be offered one upon check in - all 3 times. 4) The room was smaller than our last room, and this new room was supposed to be an upgrade. I did let the front desk know that I was disappointed with this room as we were going out to eat, and Sydeka was at the desk and saved the day, and possibly the trip, for us! She offered me several rooms, including a suite which I did not take due to the view, and we ended up in a similar room to our last visit. She was quite accomodating and it seemed that her only purpose at the moment was to make sure I was happy with the room. Thank you, Sydeka!! 5) We did not receive turn-down service 3 out of the 5 nights we were there. I went down to the desk to get bottles of water which are normally left at turndown. There was no offer to give more than the complimentary 2-bottles of water, and I would think they would over compensate by offering an additional bottle or two due to the failure on their part. 6) We were on the AMEX FHR program this time, which included breakfast, and we ate there twice during this trip. The wait staff did not appear to be trained in customer service at all. They were so bad that I thought it was their first week of working there. Do they not receive training on customer service in such a fine hotel?? Previous breakfasts here were excellent. We had to ask for coffee refills to be served with the ala carte breakfast, and they require the customer to get their own coffee when we ordered the buffet breakfast. WOW! Usually when I am in a nice hotel eating buffet breakfast they bring you your drinks.

I am well traveled, and fussy, however I know to lower my expectations when traveling because of the unknown. This hotel is not unknown to me, and my expectations were the highest due to previous experience here. My details above may seem petty to some, but Trump managment will be disappointed to read of these details, as I am sure they have the highest expectations of their staff. I just seems that the bloom is off the rose, and it's a pity for this fine hotel in a perfect location. We may stay here again but there are a lot of other fine hotels in the City and I am less likely to want to go back. I did receive a customer satisfaction survey from "Donald Trump" asking about our stay, and I was honest. I received a reply from management and was asked let her know personally when we decide to return to NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room. We like the view of the Empire State building towards uptown.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grandtraveler
Dear Lori S

Thank you for staying with us again at the Trump SoHo. I appreciate your kind comments about Sydeka and will be sure she is recognized. I would be happy to discuss your stay personally with you, and can be reached at GMaoberoi@trumphotels.com or 212-842-5527. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Denver, United States
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hotel is truly a gem in terms of what it offers in combination with its location. Unfortunately if you want to stay downtown you have to pay a steep price for a small, dimly lit room with sub-par service. Not at the trump! Trump Soho offers uptown amenities and services at a downtown location. Large spaces, bright rooms with a beautiful view, wonderful spa.
The staff are truly wonderful, from the people at the concierge, to the doormen and housekeeping, everyone is friendly.
But, and for a foodie like me this was a big but, the room service is terribly lacking. When you are being charged high hotel prices PLUS 20% gratuity you would expect the food to atleast be good. Having stayed for an extended time i can say it is mediocre at best. My turkey burger was like a rock, bland and unappetizing. My breakfast usually took 30minutes to come every day even if i ordered just a bowl of berries, but to be fair if you wanted breakfast at a certain time you could request it and it would be there.
Overall i definitely recommend the trump soho, just not dining in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Matilda_Liv

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Trump SoHo. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our spa and the views from your room. I appreciate your feedback about our in room dining and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

katy,Texas
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just returned from the trump soho after going to Texans game.This hotels location is crazy good.You couldn't shop at every store within walking distance in to days.The staff is very helpful with reservation and great directions.The room well lets just say push one button and blinds open to great view of city.The bed is so great my wife wants to buy one.

Room Tip: Choose city view it can't be beat
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear rmyoung281

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Tripadvisor community. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the comfort of our beds and appreciate your kind comments about our staff. I look forward to welcoming you and your wife back to the Trump SoHo.