2,653 results
All reviews rooftop pool gansevoort hotel exhale spa grand deluxe room new york the empire state building trendy hotel hotel guests amazing hotel union square mini bar nyc hotel by nyc standards location was perfect subway station times square concierge
Reviewed November 19, 2010

The hotel offered extreme comfort and amazing service from beautiful people.

Reviewed November 17, 2010

Great location in the newly popular NoMad area - just far enough out of the midtown bustle, close to Union Square, and a hop skip and jump from farther downtown locations. 1 blk from 28th st. subway station. Good restaurants nearby. Decent sized heated outdoor pool with a great view of the Empire State Building. Friendly and helpful staff, without the feeling that they are constantly schmoozing you for tips, as experienced elsewhere. Decent continental breakfast was included in our package, which was a nice perk. There is a Starbucks across the street, for those who might be interested.
Comfortable rooms, though street noise in ours was fairly extreme - we were only on the 6th floor and had a suite on the 29th/Park corner of the hotel, so we were in a fairly vulnerable location in that respect - I'm sure there are quieter rooms available.
The only negative might be navigating the trendoid crowds entering the hotel at night to access the popular upstairs bar - I didn't find that a problem - mildly amusing, in fact, but I'm sure some people would find it irritating. That won't last forever, as trendy clubs can quickly become untrendy.
All in all, a great experience!

Reviewed November 17, 2010

This was my third trip to New York City this year and each time I have stayed at the Gansevoort. My first time I selected the Gansevoort because it was brand new. I had been hearing in the press that New York was having a huge problem with bed bugs so I thought if the Hotel has just opened it probably won't be a problem and gladly it wasn't. What I did find at the Gansevoort was a staff that treated me like I was family. The rooms were beautifully appointed in every detail and the beds were spectacular with sheets that felt like silk and over stuffed comforters. The roof top pool and bar called "Plunge" is filled with a very stylish crowd. It seems to be the place to be by judging from the long lines in the evening to get upstairs but as a guest of the hotel there is not need to wait in line. I have stayed in many luxury hotels but I enjoyed the Gansevoort more than any other.

Reviewed November 13, 2010

I really wanted to like the Gansevoort Park. It was our first trip to NYC and after our plans to stay in a loft in Chelsea fell through, we decided to stay in the Gansevoort Park after having read the positive reviews on the website.

My first impression was excellent - the reservations staff were personable and extremely accommodating. Because we were traveling to NYC in part to run the marathon, we wanted to ensure we had a room with a fridge / microwave as it is sometimes hard to find suitable pre-race food (my spouse is a sub-3 hour marathoner and is pretty particular about what he eats). We ended up spending a bit more to book a "grand deluxe king" and were assured that it had these amenities.

First impressions at the hotel were also great. We arrived on a red-eye flight at 8am, and of course our room was not available. However, staff ensured our bags were stored, we were given access to the lounge for breakfast and used the Porsche service to head out for the morning. The lobby is small but inviting and well decorated, as is the 20th floor lounge. Oh if only the remainder of the trip had lived up to the hype.

The front desk gave us a call shortly after we left the hotel for the morning advising that our room was ready, and we arrived back around noon to settle in. We knew immediately upon entering our room that there was a mistake - the room we had been assigned to on the 12th floor was tiny - probably 300 sq. feet. No fridge, a tiny sitting area, a three piece bath. The "grand deluxe" as advertised online was supposed to be 525 square feet with a king bed, living area with sleeper sofa, and oversized five fixture bathroom with Juliet balcony. We called the front desk and went back downstairs - the woman at the front desk that we were now dealing with was adamant that we were assigned to the right room. This was really frustrating - first that we were clearly assigned to the wrong room and then to deal with her arrogance. She told us we were in a "deluxe room" and not a "grand deluxe" even though my reservation clearly stated "grand deluxe" (there is a price difference that is not insignificant). After "consulting" with her manager, this front desk person had the concierge move us to a different room. This woman was so unprofessional and snooty that she did not even have the courtesy to speak to us again - she simply sent us away like small children and had the concierge do her work for her. Worse, the fact that she argued with a customer is simply unfathomable. I have stayed in many wonderful properties and have NEVER had a staff member argue with me for anything, never mind something like this. She was rude, pompous and full of herself.

Instead of rolling through a play by play of the remaining issues that we had, I will list off the good, the bad and the ugly. There were good things about the Gansevoort Park, unfortunately, they were so totally outweighed by the bad that I could simply not recommend anyone stay here. Go check out the Trump SoHo or the Giraffe down the street on Park Ave.

The good:
- the room (once we had the right one) was spacious, particularly for NYC standards)
- the public areas are clean, new and well decorated (I would not go so far as to say stunning, however - I personally think the W does a better job with the "hotel as lounge" scene)
- the free breakfast was a nice touch (though I understand that this will be offered only until the restaurant is opened)
- the concierge / bell staff is wonderful - they were pleasant, friendly and always greeted us.
- we faced "inside" (i.e., away from Park Avenue) and the room was very quiet. However, no balcony as advertised and not exactly scenic.

The bad and ugly:
- we had a mini kitchenette in the room but had no dishes, cutlery or amenities to actually be able to use it...this seems to have been overlooked
- we asked for a wake up call at 4am marathon morning - due to the time change, the front desk clerk made a mistake and sent us a call at 3am and then another at 4:15 - getting neither one right!! Pretty annoying to be woken up an hour early.
- the noise from the hallway was horrendous - the doors are not very soundproof and we were woken up several times by loud revellers in the hallway late at night.
- the Plunge bar was totally overrated - with a door staff and private entrance you would have thought they were guarding some kind of nightlife gem....sad to say it was just another overpriced lounge with same-same music, same-same overpriced cocktails and lots of attitude. Terrible wine by the glass list, non-existent beer list and a very tired bar food menu (sliders and edamame are very old). For all the wonderful places there are to go to in NYC? Thanks, no thanks.
- there is a problem with venting in the room and we often woke up in the morning with our room, bedding, clothing, etc. smelling like smoke - both of us are non-smokers and sensitive to is. There seems to be a very serious problem with the fresh air venting - perhaps cigarette smoke from the balcony upstairs is getting in??
- we had to go to the front desk 4 or 5 times to have our keys reset - this was really annoying! even worse, after walking back to the hotel after the marathon, our keys did not work and because we did not have ID (most people don't run a marathon with a wallet) and because the front desk person would not take the names on our bibs, a security guard was sent up to the room with us. It was like being called liars - here we were after having spent 8 hours on our feet, and the front desk staff had the audacity not to use their heads and actually put 2 and 2 together that the two people with THEIR NAMES ON THEIR BIBS were the same people WITH THE SAME NAMES staying in their hotel. Brutal.
- front desk staff (actually just one woman in particular) was a bit snooty, as was the breakfast staff. Clearly we are not celebrities and therefore worth treating badly? I watched the same server in the breakfast room swoon over several actors after she failed to give me the time of day.
- right hand does not talk to the left hand. After our issues on check in, the front desk clerk seemed surprised when we got quickly p*ssed off with her on the 5th time our keys had to be redone - she called the manager who had no idea of the previous issues. There needs to be better communication - we should not have to rehash the issues every single time.

The front desk manager did acknowledge the issues and we had a brief chat - however at that point the damage was done. Our issues really centered around the poor way we were treated and the terrible attitude of the front desk clerk, and then snowballed from there - we really just wanted to enjoy our stay. However, it was kind of like being apologized to after being abused...the point is that we were still abused to get the apology.

So overall....not a good travel experience.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank rl_vancity
Reviewed November 9, 2010

My husband and I checked into the Gansevoort for 5 days and had a lovely stay! What a beautiful space and friendly staff. Everyone was so accomodating.. from the receptionist to room service. The rooms are spacious, ours had a great view of uptown and park avenue, we also had a balcony. The Exhale spa and gym at the gansevoort are top notch- clean space with newest equipment. The bar located on PH2 was a great spot for a cocktail with a bit of a scene. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family. The location is central, walking distance to great restarants and shops. Cant wait for our next stay in NY!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Gansevoort, Social Media Manager at Royalton Park Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2010

Thank you so much for the nice review! I am so glad that you such nice stay at The Gansevoort Park NYC. We look forward to seeing you again soon!