“Great service, but property had problems”

Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC
Ranked #87 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Westport, Connecticut
“Great service, but property had problems”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in February 2013 with my wife and 15 month old son. We rented a Gansevoort Suite, which was very nicely sized, had a small balcony, and was quiet enough that we could put our son in a crib in the living room and enjoy some wine and movies in the bedroom at night.

The service at the hotel was excellent. Some points that stand out to me: the hotel provided a nearly full sized crib which was very comfortable for our son. They sent up a refrigerator which was essential for us with a child as young as our son. The doormen watched our car in the loading zone for an hour here and there when check-in/check-out traffic permitted, saving us substantial parking fees. Everyone we contacted was excellent, professional, polite. They handled out requests and problems (below) in a great way.

The room was a great size for an NYC room. It had a large living room and large bedroom. Two bathrooms, one with a huge bathtub. Perfect for a family with a small child.

The problems: the room was rundown. Fabric around a large mirror was torn, furniture was dinged up. This was a very minor thing to me, but I was expecting more from this hotel. The televisions didn't work. The picture was pixelated or just didn't come in. This was a big deal because we were in the room by 8:30 pm to put our son to bed. The idea was to watch tv and enjoy some wine. The front desk comped movies for us, which turned out fine, but again, not what I would have expected from the Gansevoort. Two out of three elevators were out of service for 1.5 days. This was a small inconvenience but could have been worse. We waited for about 15 or 20 minutes for an elevator once, and one other time, we took the stairs up about 6 flights (me carrying my son) to get to the pool. Not great, and could have been a major pain if we had been in a rush or were not able to use stairs.

All in all, a good experience and I would consider staying at this hotel again if we found a good price on a big room. But I would go into the stay expecting that I'll have some problems that will likely be dealt with quickly and professionally.

Room Tip: The rooftop bar can be loud, so might be best not to stay too close to the top floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Gansevoort, Community Manager at Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Jon,

Thank you for your detailed review. We apologize for any technical issues during you stay, but we can assure you that it has been fixed and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We will be sure to let our staff know your positive experience with their service. We look forward to your next visit so we get a chance to go beyond your expectations. Should you choose to make future reservations, you can contact our community manager at digital@gansevoortpark.com and we can provide all your necessary accommodations.

@GansevoortPark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Love the Kardashians, so we HAD to stay at the Gansevoort. I really like the purple chandeliers and fireplace in lobby. The staff was great! Jane was really helpful. Room service was fast! New favorite hotel!!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Amy324,

We’re honored to be your new favorite hotel! In our eyes, you are just as important as any celebrity and we’re thrilled you had a great time during your stay. If you plan on visiting again, you can reach out to our community manager at digital@gansevoortpark.com. Maybe we can even arrange a special tour of the Presidential Suite…

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed at Gansevoort Park for a 30th birthday party recently, where I was also hosting on the rooftop. I wish I could have stayed longer; there was plenty of snacks and goodies that were available there. The audio system has iPod integration. The beds? Super comfy. Bathroom features Cutler style products, which is top-of-the line and worth the price as well. Would definitely recommend staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sunil,

Happy 30th birthday! We also wish that you stayed longer, but you picked the perfect spot on our rooftop to throw your birthday bash. You can contact our community manager at digital@gansevoortpark.com for future reservations and events. We'll make sure to roll out the red carpet for you. Thanks again.

Best,
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Talk about ultra chic! So cool with an incredibly classy decor. Everything about this hotel screams you are in NYC. It's in a prime location to amazing restaurants,bars and nightclubs. We had a beautiful suite over looking parts of the skyline. The rooftop bar is so chill to hang out and start your night off. The service was really top notch! Jane from concierge helped me with all my needs to settle in and start relaxing! She's probably the nicest concierge I've had the pleasure of meeting. All in all If you are looking to enjoy your time in NYC... you have to stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sofia,

Thank you for your amazing review. Jane will be happy that she helped make your stay memorable. Hopefully you were able to take a peek at the Empire State Building from our rooftop – completing the NYC experience. If you decide to stay with us again, you can reach out to our community manager at digital@gansevoortpark.com.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was very impressed with the service during my weeklong stay at the Gansevoort Park Ave. I found one of the concierges to be particularly helpful. Her name was Jane and she took care of us from the beginning of our stay to the end. She is the reason I will be coming back to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear David,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience. We’ll be sure to let Jane know how helpful she was during your stay. Hopefully after your next visit you’ll have even more reasons to come back. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Best,
Woodbury, New York
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I live on long island and decided to take my family to the city to have a new york experience. Most hotels arent very kid friendly, esp with food. But the concierge desk at the Park location ie: Jane S. was very kid friendly. Jane helped my wife and i find a nice place to eat that my children can enjoy their meal too. She was so sweet to my kids, my wife loved it. We will def stay at the park location again. The service was great and love the update dated modern look/pool.

Room Tip: take advantage of the indoor out door pool
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mark,

We’re happy to hear you and your family enjoyed Manhattan, especially the dining experience the city offers to patrons of all ages. Did your kids get to try out our heated pool? Let us know if you plan on another family getaway by contacting our community manager at digital@gansevoortpark.com. We'll also be sure to let Jane know of your raving review!

Rhode Island
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This hotel was definitely a great choice! Not only did it feel glamorous as you walked into the lobby with high ceilings and beautiful chandeleres but the whole environment just felt welcoming. The room was a decent size, not too big or small, and very clean and comfortable! The rooftop club was awesome--feel like a celebrity! Wish I could have spent more time there! I will definitely stay with the Gansevoort Park for all future visits to NYC.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel_Gansevoort, Community Manager at Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Louis,

Thank you for sharing the details of your fabulous stay. Hopefully next time you will be able to spend more time on the rooftop and maybe take a dip in our heated pool. Let us know when you book your next visit at digital@gansevoortpark.com and we will roll out the red carpet for you.