“Maybe It Was An Off Day”
Review of Keste West Village

Keste West Village
Ranked #60 of 13,838 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Village
Charlotte, NC
“Maybe It Was An Off Day”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I am very familiar with this type of pizza and looked forward to eating at Keste. I have eaten at Tony's Pizza Napoletana in San Francisco (he won a pizza competition in Italy). Two couples(my wife and I were visiting and the other couple live in Brooklyn) went on a Saturday and were the first in the restaurant when it opened. We had a decent table and were not crowded. The service seemed disjointed. After we ordered, the pies came out slowly--first 2 arrived, then 1 a little later, and the final one about 10 minutes later. The waitress said there had been a problem with the final pizza due to it being gluten free and something about the basement. We did wait a few minutes after the first 3 pizzas arrived so maybe we contributed to the soggy crust. Flavor wise, they were ok just not quite as flavorful as we expected. We noticed that other tables with multiple diners seemed to experience the same pace of 1 pizza then a little while later another appeared. I know the oven can only cook so many pizzas at a time but it would seem that one table's order should be cooked at the same time. I understand that no two pizzas cook exactly the same but we're talking a seconds in time due to the high temperatures. When I paid the bill, I asked the waitress to break a $20 so I could leave a proper gratuity. She did that but didn't return the remaining money from my paid bill. Like I said, it was disjointed and it makes me question if I'd return on my next visit to New York City. I don't like rating a place on one off visit.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank 1NCfoodie

• Chinese (Traditional) first
New Jersey
“Best pizza in NYC.......”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The classic wood fired pies are amazing, as are the more inventive ones. Have been there on Scott's Pizza Tour and loved the whole experience. The staff is also great. Try the imported Italian beers

Visited July 2013
Salerno, Italy
“Simply the best pizza in New York”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I'm Italian and I live quite close to Naples. That said, I've been in NYC several times, and I never found such a good pizza as the Keste one. I spent two nights here (out of 6 in my last NYC trip) - and on both times I got a fantastic pizza, just as good as southern Italy's ones.

Prices are reasonable - you won't have to spend 40 $ for a pizza - and the restaurant has a nice choice of Italian red and white wines aswell. Staff is very kind and service is quick.

I can truly say that this is simply the best you can get in NYC about pizza. Will return here for sure as soon as I can. Highly recommended!

• Visited July 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not great for gluten free”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We chose this restaurant because it was reviewed on CBS as one of the best gluten free restaurants in NYC. They only had 4 gluten free pizzas and offered no substitutions. I am also soy free and it turned out that the pizza dough had soy flour in it. I had a a caprese salad which was okay but I can make that at home! I ended up going across the road to Risotteria and getting take out pizza. The restaurant is very cramped and when I asked the waiter if the pizza had soy in it he said no but when I asked for a 2nd time he went and got the manager. good job I double checked!!

Visited July 2013
Hong Kong, China
“Gluten-Free Pizza”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Both of their regular and Gluten-Free Pizza are delicious. A dedicated owner who wants to cook good food. Quite often a queue outside and I saw the boss serving bite size pizza to those waiting outside, a very warm hospitality. May the be the best pizza in New York but definately worth a try. They also have good wines.

• Visited June 2013