“Their excellence is not restricted to fish”
Review of Marea

Marea
Reserve with OpenTable
Marea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #79 of 14,292 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: Marea is located near Columbus Circle, a hub for the A, B, C, D and 1 subways lines. One block east and one block south at 57th St. and 7th Ave guests may utilize either the N, Q, R, W subway lines.
Description: Marea Ristorante, located in one of Manhattans most storied addresses, features Chef Michael White's ode to Italian seafood. From his trademark handmade pastas to his fresh crudo and whole fish, Chef White is committed to reinventing the notion of seafood in New York.
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We ate here expecting excellence, and we got it. Service was quick and personal; they have many floor staff, and all were well trained. Although they specialize in fish dishes, she found enough meat and vegetable dishes to satisfy her. For the main course she had lamb chops, while I had a very nice Dover sole. My only problem was that I didn’t realize the amount of fish I was getting. They gave me a whole sole, amounting to four fillets. It was more than I could eat. The antipasti, pastas and dessert were all outstanding.
The wine list was extensive and well chosen; the wine steward was very knowledgeable. His help led me to choose an interesting wine from southern Italy. I had had a southern Italian wine once, about 50 years ago. As a result of my encounter with that wine, I had avoided wines from that region ever since. The wine he recommended was excellent, and opened a new vista for me.

2  Thank jtp4
Write a ReviewReviews (1,874)

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Ate at the bar happy to get in. Food was good but you need to like seafood, for Italian not a lot of choices. I have eaten here twice I went back again to try other items. Overall enjoyable.

1  Thank jeter1nyy
Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband's best friend, a big foodie, recommended Marea to us. Since we were indulging in a lot of meats, though excellent, we wanted to eat lighter. We couldn't be happier with Marea. They KNOW seafood. For starters, we had the soft-shell crab and octopus. The octopus was so good that my husband had to text his buddy overseas right at that moment to say it was fantastic. I also enjoyed the lightly-crisped soft-shell crab. For our main dish, we shared the roasted mediterranean turbot and it was sublime. Even the side dishes deserve equal accolades- the wild mushrooms were so tasty they could be a main dish. The wine list, according to my husband, is solid- they have a great selection of Italian wines.

Service is very good. Interiors chic and understated. Would love to visit again!

Reviewed July 20, 2014

First visit and what a treat. They have a $47 lunch menu, but we opted of the tasting menu. Expansive wine list with many good for seafood whites at reasonable restaurant prices. The tasting menu is five courses; all fish and pasta. The food was delicious. Not too little; not too much; just enough, as a tasting menu should be. Good bread, by the way (focaccia with olives, yum). The only negative, and not a big one, was dessert. It seemed like an afterthought. Our advice is to ask what the dessert with the tasting menu is and, if you don't like the sound of it, ask to substitute; something tells me they will oblige. We are definitely going back; the food is just too good.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Though Marea's entrance and Bar area are sidewalk level, the main dining room is several steps down, giving their lucky diners a cozy feeling of being sequestered below the walking world above, of being almost hidden in plain sight. As the best in life is often right under your nose, this is true of Marea and this place is the best. Have one dish--the homemade pasta with rabbit sausage and the deal is sealed. My wife and I were trying our luck to eat at the bar, but it was full and looked to remain that way for some time. The intuitive and delightfully crisp Maitre d' George Barber picked up the stitch before it even dropped offering us a seat in the main room and the rest was heaven. Seafood so beautifully prepared, fresh pasta and sushi with great wines by the glass all served with the speed and timing of a whisper jet. Marea is a true diamond experience and what was memorable (other than that incredible rabbit) was the warmth and instinct of Mr. Barber to make us feel at home. Thank you, sir--we can't wait to return.

1  Thank GloryPoint