“Superb meal!”
Review of Marea

Marea
Reserve with OpenTable
Marea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 14,394 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: Marea is located near Columbus Circle, a hub for the A, B, C, D and 1 subways lines. One block east and one block south at 57th St. and 7th Ave guests may utilize either the N, Q, R, W subway lines.
Description: Marea Ristorante, located in one of Manhattans most storied addresses, features Chef Michael White's ode to Italian seafood. From his trademark handmade pastas to his fresh crudo and whole fish, Chef White is committed to reinventing the notion of seafood in New York.
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We chose the four course prix fix dinner
For appetizers we had
CALAMARI
scallop and shrimp stuffed squid, fennel,
watercress, carnaroli
POLIPO
grilled octopus, smoked potatoes,
pickled red onions, radish, chilies, tonnato
For Pasta
ORECCHIETTE
shrimp and seppia ragu, broccoletti, pesto cetarese
GNOCHETTI
ruby red shrimp, chilies, rosemary
For Fish
CAPESANTE
seared sea scallops, rapini, marcona almonds,
caperberries
BRANZINO
wild striped bass, kohlrabi, parsnips,
cipollini, sea beans, hazelnut
Desserts
a chocolate sliver of cake with pistachio gelato
& panacotta with grapefruit granita

Every dish was superb!
Service was attentive.
Two hours at the table, no rush, nicely paced timing of each course.
Mini cookies with the check.
Mini candies with the receipt.
Muffins to go home.
If you love seafood, this is a great place to dine.

1  Thank TKARCAROLA
Write a ReviewReviews (1,894)

Reviewed February 23, 2014

My husband & I celebrated our 30th anniversary last night and dined at Marea. First I should mention the location: overlooking Central Park west and within walking distance to most Broadway theaters. The atmosphere is comfortable and modern and the staff was gracious and attentive; our waiter Charles was a delight!

We started with cocktails, and our martinis were expertly made. Next we had the 12-piece sampling of oysters, which were buttery and sublime. I should mention the bread sampling: foccacia, sourdough and multi-grain--all rustic delights.

For dinner we had the amazing fussili with marrow & octopus. This was probably one of the most delicious things that has ever passed my lips! My husband & I split this, and I'm glad we did as it was rich and filling.

We also split the branzino, which was presented tableside for inspection prior to cooking. Beautifully cooked--simple and delectable! The branzino was served with a choice of sides; we chose brussel sprouts and wild mushrooms--both excellent.

For dessert, do not miss the semifreddo di olio--especially if you are a chocolate lover. Charles also presented us with a complimentary serving of bomboloni, delicate doughnuts with dipping sauces. Before we left the restaurant, our coats were returned to us with a small, complimentary coffee cake!

We loved Marea, and would highly recommend for a wonderful dining experience

Reviewed February 23, 2014

This is a beautiful restaurant with friendly and helpful staff. The wine list is extensive, But expensive. However, the sommelier to the rescue. I like zinfandel and knew that primitivo was it's Italian version, generally less expensive. They had none. But he quickly recommended a great wine near the bottom of their price range at $70 which was very much like a US zinfandel. There are pages of wine's in the $1000 to $5000 range. Don't make a mistake by trying your Italian, Point to the wine you want. The Saturday lunch is a bargain if you stay with the fixed price selections. We did not since my wife is allergic to seafood. This is primarily an Italian seafood restaurant. Very few selections with out it, even on all the pasta. I like seafood so it was great for me. In fact, I thought the tuna tartare was the best I ever had. Okay, $200 lunch. It is a big deal. It is worth it.

1  Thank BayHeadTravelinBear
Reviewed February 23, 2014

The re-make of the old San Domenico has been well done. The bar area is comfortable and bright with knowledgeable mixologists. Service was impeccable but the food came out of the kitchen too slowly. Pasta appetizer was small ravioli with sweet breads and a mushroom sauce...very good. My main course of Dover Sole was tasteless and so was my wife's Bronzino. The contorni of wild mushrooms was over-salted and barely edible. The pearl potatoes were very good. It is hard to ruin a panna cotta dessert, but they did. Shaved flavored ice was over the surface.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Get the bone marrow and octopus pasta. You won't regret it! If you eat one thing there this should be it! It was amazing. Everything there is amazing, but that specific pasta is a must have. They have amazing crudos, but my god that pasta. I still dream of it. I think the pasta gods wept when they created it. Seriously get it. You can't go wrong.
Try the sea urchin with lardo, hmmm lardo. but if you don't like sea urchin don't get it. The duck is pretty good, but everything is just overshadowed by the bone marrow and octopus fuscilli pasta. get that. seriously.