“Cuban Lunch”

Cuisines: Cuban
Neighborhood: Midtown
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Cuban food for lunch, how can you go wrong. The restaurant is not fancy. Just good food. One can tell by the take out line when you walk in the place. Minimum 15 people in line waiting to place their orders. There is sitting area in the back. Usually parties of 2 get right in, we had a party of 3 so we had to wait a bit for a larger table.
They had a daily special as well as the standard foods. Good food at a fair price. Who can ask for more in NYC. We will definitely go back again.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Had a Cuban sandwich but it has no taste! had one here in west Michigan that taste it better. the guanabana batido was very good but the passion fruit one tasted very sugary and artificial. My daughter had chicken soup and it was good. I had the mature fried plantains and there were overcooked and saturated with fat. Waitress don't care and are not very friendly. Did not greet nor say goodbye to anyone either. but the cooks in the front were very friendly and nice.
Need to improve in service and some of the menu items.

1  Thank reinamaga3
Reviewed September 17, 2013

If you like Cuban Food, Tina's is the place to go in New York City. While the atmosphere is lacking (sort of a 50's style diner and quite busy), the crowd is there for the food, which is quite good and quite reasonably priced. Try to get the goat (not available daily), or fall back to the standby Cuban favorite of Chicken with rice, beans and plantains.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

My son and his family were visiting us for a few days and, as usual, we took the train to New York City for the day. There were eight of us, four kids and four adults, and we were looking for a reasonably hearty lunch which would sustain us through a long day's walk in the Park, and a few hours at Moma.
Fortunately, my son used to work in Midtown, and knows a few inexpensive, good restaurants. Tina's is one of them.
The restaurant is conveniently located right on 56th street, between 5th and 6th avenues. From the outside, it doesn't look like much. The inside isn't all that impressive, either. It looks like what it is - a lunch/takeout diner selling Cuban food. It isn't licensed.
However, the food is really excellent (and inexpensive). We chose to eat there, rather than have a take-out, and they managed to find room for all eight of us.
We started with empanadas - delicious little pockets filled with chicken or beef, and served with a rather nice greenish sauce.
For entree, my wife and I chose pernil (roast pork). The price included two side dishes: I
chose fried green plantain and fried yuca, and my wife chose rice with beans, plus sweet plaintains. The meat was lean, the portions were generous, and I thoroughly enjoyed my first ever taste of yuca.
The restaurant was packed, but our server was very attentive.
We left, suitably fortified, and spent the rest of the day walking around the City.

We'll be back to Tina's: there are several other dishes that we'd like to try.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Oh, Tina. How I had such great hopes for us. Why do you disappoint me so?

I finally found a place that makes pan con bistec (Cuban steak sandwich) topped with a generous sprinkling of paptitas (fried potato sticks)—just the way I love it. The food itself is really really good. The bread is perfectly toasted, the meat is flavorful and plentiful...

Unfortunately, they can never get my order right!! I like my sandwich with lettuce, grilled/fried onions and papitas, but NO tomato or mayo. I've gotten delivery from them several times, both ordering by phone and online, but each time they'd either put mayo on it, or tomatoes, or both, or leave off the pepitas... Then, when I call to tell them, they just shrug it off. No apology or credit toward the next order or anything like that. It's not a cheap sandwich, either, so to spend that much $$ and have it not be right is... not right. Last time this happened, I swore them off. No more Tina's, I told myself.

But the other day I had a hankering for a pan con bistec and was in the area so I decided I'd try actually going to the restaurant. I figured I'd have a better shot of them getting it right if I'm ordering in person, right? WRONG!

The place was bustling, both the takeout line and the dining room in back. I opted for the table service and explained to my waitress about how I've ordered from them several times but they always get something wrong with my order so this time I decided to eat there. She seemed to understand my order, but when it arrived, there was no lettuce on it (even though she assured me that they always put lettuce on it unless you tell them not to). When I called her over to show that there was no lettuce, she just shrugged it off and said that's what happens when you don't get the usual toppings, trying to explain to me that they normally put mayo and mustard and lettuce and everything on and if you don't get some, well, you get what you get. She didn't apologize or offer to have it re-made or anything.

So, while their food probably deserves a 4 or 5, their (lack of) customer service and ability to modify an order is a 0 or 1. Hence, I'm averaging it to a 3.

I really, really wanted to love this place.