“An Amazing Way to See in the New Year”
Review of Raines Law Room

Raines Law Room
Ranked #1,119 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“An Amazing Way to See in the New Year”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We chose to go to Raines Law Room for NYE '13 when we were in New York. We didn't fancy going somewhere crowded and loud and this place ticked all the boxes. They had a special package for drinks and canapes plus a live cross to Times Square for the countdown.

It is difficult to find - make sure you have the street address! But so much fun. When we knocked the door was opened and a french doorman asked if he could help us (in an excellent, slightly suspicious speak-easy way). We gave him our names and he immediately let us in and took our coats (I love the whole New York coat room thing).

We were taken to a table in the Parlour. This place is absolutely beautiful - I adored it. To get the waitress' attention you pull a small chain beside your table and within moments someone is there to serve you. They had a selection of cocktails for the night, we made sure we tried them all and they were all delicious. The place was not full, which was a shame (only because people would have missed out on a fantastic time!). Plenty of canapes were brought around which were also delicious.

There was a large group hanging out in the 'Kitchen' with the bar staff but we preferred the elegant seated option.

Just before midnight the doorman offered us all 'noise makers' and the waitress bought us all champagne - they then they crossed to the Times Square countdown.

This was a perfect New Years Eve for me and it was a shame we didn't have time to come back again. I loved this place.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Michelle M

Stamford, Connecticut
“Very Cool, 1920's feel, Best Cocktails Ever!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Went on a Saturday evening. Got there at 5pm right when they opened. The guy at the door, David, is great. We got right in. No waiting. We were the third group inside, but within 30 minutes it was completely full. Very dark, cozy, great for a romantic night. Went for pre dinner drinks. The cocktails are the best we ever had. Very, very creative mixes. Wanted to try all of them. No real food, but some snacks available. The drinks are extremely strong, and you barely taste the alcohol in the true spirit of the 1920's speakeasy. Well worth the wait, especially if you go to another place for a couple hours while on the wait list. Can not wait to go back again. Fund my newest favorite place to take people in NYC...

• Visited March 2013
london
“Raines law cocktail lounge for a intimate unique cosy atmosphere”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

From the street you are unaware of this cocktail lounge, hidden away down some stairs you will see a back door. When you are able to enter you will be amazed by the ambiance ad bizarre settings. There are booths leading to a large kitchen where the bar staff perform incredibe skills to make great cocktails. This is a must visit

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank belbest
Montreal, Canada
“Only if there were more places like this on earth..”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I wanted to check out a speakeasy spot while I was in New York, and after looking for a few online I chose this one. This place is amazing, I felt completely in my comfort zone. They had amazing drinks, and I really mean amazing ! The atmosphere was great, very nice mixed crowd. The music was awesome, great Jazz for most part. The decor was inspiring and the service was excellent. I wanted to spend the whole night in that place. It really makes you feel like at home. I wish there were more places like this in other cities, but to be honest this is a gem that you most likely can only find in New York. I will return over and over again.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank HG56
“Worth visiting New York just to go here”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The biggest disappointment of our visit to New York was that we only got to go to this bar once, for an hour.

It's one of those places that you wouldn't know was there from the street; you knock on the door and get buzzed in. We were early so there was no problem getting in but I imagine that later in the evening it gets very busy. You then go behind the curtain and voila! It's like stepping back into 1920s New York. The atmosphere is just magic and the cocktails were divine. I'd go back in a shot.

Visited April 2012