“In Harlem Again”

and up
Harlem Gospel Sunday Tour
Ranked #156 of 1,153 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Neighborhood covering the north section of Manhattan Island.
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Harlem is one of my favorite places. Much of my attraction to this community is the historical significance of past years. However, I still like the typical New York energy, cultural attractions and the restaurants. We made a visit to the Studio Museum on bustling 125th St. This shopping corridor is worth a stroll. The Harlem products store is good for souvenirs and a healthy smoothie can be obtained at two places. My favorite soul food restaurant is Amy Ruth's. I discovered Margie's Red Rose Diner on YELP and really enjoyed their food too. The latter is a little slow in service so don't go there if you're in a hurry. The Bronx Botanical Gardens are a quick ride across the river. We enjoyed this attraction too. Although we didn't visit, the Bronx Zoo is near the Botanical Gardens.

2  Thank bahiadreaming
Write a ReviewReviews (1,040)
All reviews
in 13 reviews
"gospel"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Personally, I think Harlem is well worth a visit. I felt quite comfortable during the day there, and even at night, as long as you're not wandering down some back alley alone (which would be dangerous anywhere in the world) you shouldn't have any problems. The Apollo theater is a great attraction and a show like 'Amateur Night' is definitely something to see. You can also get some amazing soul food. People were very nice and helpful. Like anywhere, you need to be aware of your surroundings, but the stereotypical view of Harlem should not deter you, as it is a really cool place!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

I went for shopping and food I enjoyed myself. People were helpful with direction two young ladies help me get my packages thur the subway gate missed their train but we're happy and help me to get to the other side to get to port authority and back to south jersey.

1  Thank Sandysbeachhouse
Reviewed January 2, 2014

There are a lot of misconceptions of Harlem to be dangerous but I found it to be nice and a cool neighborhood and a plus: it's close to central park!

3  Thank Julia G
See more reviews
Reviewed January 1, 2014

A visit to New York would hardly be complete without visiting Harlem. It is often said to be very dangerous; but this seems to be more racism than anything else - black New Yorkers have better things to do than to rob white people! Best is to walk there, from the Upper East Side, Central Park or the Upper West Side. It is worth strolling in Harlem with the architectural guidebook AIA GUIDE TO NEW YORK CITY.
When in Harlem, don't miss strolling on 125th Street - "Downtown Harlem". And while there, check out the Apollo Theater, which since the 1930's has been THE place for black musicians to perform in America - Billie Holiday, Duke Ellington & Little Richard appeared here, as did the occasional white artist such as Buddy Holly. Also, on the streets of Harlem are many good eateries, including some with African cuisine. The "soul food" is nothing but Southern downhome cooking (in Dixie, everybody, black & white, eats this kind); but if you can't make it down South, then do try it - it's delectable!

2  Thank Dave S