“Black America at its Best”
Review of Harlem

and up
Uptown and Harlem Food Tour
Ranked #96 of 1,093 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Neighborhood covering the north section of Manhattan Island.
Hebron, lsrael
166 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 265 helpful votes
“Black America at its Best”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

A visit to New York would hardly be complete without visiting Harlem. It is often said to be very dangerous; but this seems to be more racism than anything else - black New Yorkers have better things to do than to rob white people! Best is to walk there, from the Upper East Side, Central Park or the Upper West Side. It is worth strolling in Harlem with the architectural guidebook AIA GUIDE TO NEW YORK CITY.
When in Harlem, don't miss strolling on 125th Street - "Downtown Harlem". And while there, check out the Apollo Theater, which since the 1930's has been THE place for black musicians to perform in America - Billie Holiday, Duke Ellington & Little Richard appeared here, as did the occasional white artist such as Buddy Holly. Also, on the streets of Harlem are many good eateries, including some with African cuisine. The "soul food" is nothing but Southern downhome cooking (in Dixie, everybody, black & white, eats this kind); but if you can't make it down South, then do try it - it's delectable!

Visited July 2013

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“DINNER IN HARLEM”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We took the subway to Harlem and had dinner at Sylvia's. It was fun to ride the subway and the food was delicious at Sylvia's. I would definitely go back to shop and visit Doug Fresh restaurant and the Apollo

Visited August 2013
5 Thank LOVELYLINDA66
St. Marys, Georgia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“it was pretty.”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

we drove through here on our way to times square. it is what i expected the building to look like in the city.

Visited November 2013
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Must Visit Again”
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

I'm a huge Harlem Renaissance fan, so I couldn't come to NYC and not visit Harlem.

If you're like me and like to sit back, take it all in and people-watch, then a trip on the Number 2 or 3 Subway Train Uptown to Harlem is a real treat!
Albeit a flying visit, I found Harlem to be a gently bustling place not unlike Brixton or Hackney in London, where there's an interesting mash up of culture, history and gentrification.

There are some really interesting places to see and things to do in Harlem, and I'm gutted that my trip wasn't long enough for me to do as much as I would have liked.
On first impressions Harlem isn't as scary or intimidating a some reviewers have mentioned; I walked a few blocks on arrival with my friend during the day and again on my own at night and was quite safe, in fact I found it to be a calming refuge from the claustrophobic nature of Downtown Manhattan.

Visited November 2013
5 Thank FlyyBlkGrl
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Harlem on foot”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I went to Harlem a few years ago. I walked a few blocks on foot, in day time on my own and was safe. It gave a good insight to local New Yorkers. Apollo theatre foyer is like a heritage museum to black artistes who have performed there over the years.

Visited December 2012