“it was pretty.”

and up
Harlem Hip-Hop Walking Tour
Ranked #95 of 1,098 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Neighborhood covering the north section of Manhattan Island.
St. Marys, Georgia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“it was pretty.”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

we drove through here on our way to times square. it is what i expected the building to look like in the city.

Visited November 2013

22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Must Visit Again”
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

I'm a huge Harlem Renaissance fan, so I couldn't come to NYC and not visit Harlem.

If you're like me and like to sit back, take it all in and people-watch, then a trip on the Number 2 or 3 Subway Train Uptown to Harlem is a real treat!
Albeit a flying visit, I found Harlem to be a gently bustling place not unlike Brixton or Hackney in London, where there's an interesting mash up of culture, history and gentrification.

There are some really interesting places to see and things to do in Harlem, and I'm gutted that my trip wasn't long enough for me to do as much as I would have liked.
On first impressions Harlem isn't as scary or intimidating a some reviewers have mentioned; I walked a few blocks on arrival with my friend during the day and again on my own at night and was quite safe, in fact I found it to be a calming refuge from the claustrophobic nature of Downtown Manhattan.

Visited November 2013
5 Thank FlyyBlkGrl
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Harlem on foot”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I went to Harlem a few years ago. I walked a few blocks on foot, in day time on my own and was safe. It gave a good insight to local New Yorkers. Apollo theatre foyer is like a heritage museum to black artistes who have performed there over the years.

Visited December 2012
Geelong, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A bit disappointing”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I was very much looking forward to this tour after I have missed it every time I have visited New York.

Doris our guide was very knowledgeable friendly. Although due to the size of the groups, you couldn't really hear her at times. May I suggest a microphone headset to be used when talking. This would certainly help.

The gospel part of the tour was good once we were inside the church. I did find the church organisers quite rude which left a bad impression.

I think a balance needs to be found for this organisation. There were clearly locals in the church who were very passionate which was great. They weren't the problem. Tourists that visit may not be religious but clearly have a consideration for those who believe. Whilst I am not a believer I am happy to see people with such passion for their religion. I was quite disturbed about how we as tourists were treated. I felt like we weren't really welcomed and we were a burden to the congregation. We did donate money and also tipped our tour guide.

Basically, if they don't want visitors, don't have this as a tourist option.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank HappyasLarry76
Bay Shore, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very Very Disappointed”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I live on LI and my friends came from Nebraska to NYC for a girl’s weekend. After reading some of the reviews about the Harlem tours I really didn't want to go, but they did so I drove there. I was amazed at how clean Harlem is. The brownstones and walk ups are beautiful. Then I parked the car and tried to get into a church. I was told I wasn't allowed in, can you imagine, not allowed. Some thug, yes I said thug, said to another "I'll take care of her", not me but another woman that they wouldn't let in. Not very religious and I'm not a religious person. That was it for me, as the tour groups were paraded into the church like cattle and gave their "donations" and were hurried out another group was herded in. They should be ashamed of themselves!! Skip this and have a lunch at the Riverbank Grill, the view is spectacular and the food is good and reasonable.

Visited October 2013