“Not that much to do”

and up
Harlem Gospel Sunday Tour
Ranked #160 of 1,153 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Neighborhood covering the north section of Manhattan Island.
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I had not been to Harlem in 25 years. We decided to bike up through central park and see Harlem. It was a fun bike ride in the traffic with the buses and taxis as there was no real bike lanes in the area. The Apollo looks a lot smaller than I recall. It was nice to see another part of NYC but I don't think we needed to spend more time there.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,040)
All reviews
in 13 reviews
"gospel"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I got there by subway early on a Sunday morning to go to one of the famous masses in one of the churches. If you want to go to one of those, get there early because you have to wait in a queue that gets bigger by the minute. You see people dressed in all colours selling all sort of things. You need to be careful to what you're wearing to enter the church because they don't allow every sort of clothes. And they have some strict rules that you have to follow. But it is worthwhile!... The singing was amazing as well the entire ceremony. If you tour the neighborhood you find people dressed in all sort of colorful clothes from different ethnic groups. I also went to visit the Apollo theater which is worth a picture. It was a well spent morning.

1  Thank Maria H
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The transformation of Harlem is SIMPLY AMAZING. I remember when one would be out of their minds to trek into Harlem. Today all that has changed. Go see this vibrating part of the city.

4  Thank JP J
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Finally got to see Harlem up front. Travelled there via the MTA's subway at 125th Street. Toured the area with my family and observed a bustling community with people of all colors and ethnic groups. Everyone was friendly and helpful with directions. During our visit, we saw the Studio Museum, which is a must see - exhibits of Gordon Parks and Romare Bearden can be found there; and the Apollo Theater. The Harlem we saw was in great condition and very clean. What struck both my wife and I were the wide streets and boulevards.

4  Thank Gregory J