“Upscale Suburban Mall in NYC”
Review of SoHo

Book In Advance
More Info
and up
3 New York Neighborhoods Small-Group Tour : SoHo...
Ranked #93 of 1,150 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I was a bit disappointed in SoHo as an unique tourist attraction. Certainly the architecture and street scape was very enjoyable once you get off Broadway and on to some of the smaller streets. Lively atmosphere and some great store windows as well as people watching.

What is disappointing is that so much of the shopping is dominated by two types of retailers. First, I would say well over half of the stores are the same clothing retailers which dominate malls and high-end shopping areas across the U.S., and even globally. Broadway, in particular, just felt like an outdoor, urban mall. I don't want to specify brand names, but most readers can guess.

Second, on some of the side streets, there are fewer mall stores and more super high end boutique retailers that one would find in many high-end shopping locales. These are the kind of places that it's nice to look in a few, but if you rule out shopping for a $150 shirt or $75 pair of shorts, you grow weary fast and want to move on.

I suppose that one's potential enjoyment of SoHo might be a function of whether one comes from another large metro area where these kind of retailers are ubiquitous.

We didn't try the dining options in the area so can't comment on that. Never a shortage of good food establishments in NYC.

2  Thank dlscps
Write a ReviewReviews (3,649)
All reviews
in 143 reviews
in 16 reviews
in 211 reviews

Reviewed July 4, 2014

I found that most of the retailers in this street catered to the younger crowd. The only exception to that would be Bloomingdales which is rather expensive. You can find these shops all around the city and they are quite spread out in broadway st. We were staying near soho so thought we would pop down and look at it. I would not go,out of my way but if you are in the area have a look.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Of course you have to do Chelsea, Meat Packers and Greenwich - which I suggest you do 1st. Then SoHo is a don't miss for NYC people watching, shopping, browsing and gormandising. The bar scene also looked very healthy but we were there during the day.

1  Thank Fong-Gha
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I have always heard that SoHo was a great place to shop and dine. I finally spent the day here with my daughter - shopping, what else?

It is true that there are a lot of stores to choose from but honestly, these are the same stores you would find anywhere else, really nothing majorly special. The stores are scattered over a very large area, so it takes a lot of walking and time to cover them all. We did have fun and made some nice purchases but I personally prefer 5th Ave over this any day. Bonus is that you could do Little Italy and Chinatown while you're down here, as they are all clustered in the same area. If you've never been, it's worth a trip but I'm not sure I would make a special trip back.

1  Thank IzzyEdmonton
See more reviews
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I love SoHo for shopping but it's always busy no matter what. The lines in some of the stores are crazy, and the streets are bustling with people. Most of the stores here are the same as anywhere else, but closer together. If you don't mind fighting your way through people to get a dress you like, this is the place for you! There's tons of restaurants too near by so you can shop and eat the day away. It's really pretty as well, even if you aren't looking to shop. Easy to get to and from as well, so you can leave when ever you feel like it. Washrooms are hard to find, but there are some in Bloomingdales and Old Navy.